Starting Again - Anyone with Hypothyroidism?

Struggling to lose any weight due to hypothyroidism and menopause. Not a great combination. Any ideas would be great. Please note, I'm under a doctor's care and my thyroid medication is where it's supposed to be. I still can't lose weight.

Replies

• dare2begin
    dare2begin Posts: 51 Member
    Glad to hear someone was able to do it!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    dare2begin wrote: »
    Glad to hear someone was able to do it!!

You can, too. Quite a few older and/or hypothyroid women succeed. Consistency is really important. The things that work for others work for us: Logging food consistently and as accurately as practical; not trying to lose so crazy-fast that it's unsustainable; working to increase daily-life movement and add some exercise, too; adjusting intake based on results; sticking with it patiently for the long haul.

I used this eating plan:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Read the "Most Helpful Posts" sections in the "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness & Diet" part of the forum for much helpful information about how to make the process work.

There can be a small energy-level penalty for hypothyroidism (clinical research suggests less than 5% reduction in metabolic rate), but much of the issue is fatigue; after menopause, we tend to become less active and lose muscle mass. Both of those are things we can work to counter.

You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • georgie59lg4044
    georgie59lg4044 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I have hypothyroidism too and just downloaded this app today.. I can walk for miles and not lose any weight at all so I’m hoping this helps :) ..i’m 60 and gaining more chins and losing more of my eyebrows as I type 😂... good luck everybody :)
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Hypothyroid here, lost 43 lbs and have kept it off over 5 years now. I understand the part about needing to have slightly less calories than someone with normal thyroid function. I have to eat slightly less than all the calorie calculators say I should. It’s only about 5% so not that much, that’s true... but it also means I’m just an extra cookie or two/week away from slowly regaining the weight again. If I let myself gain over 5 lbs from my goal weight I start to balloon quickly so I only allow myself a range of 3 lbs more or less than my goal weight. If I go up more than 3 lbs then I have to start logging and weighing my food again to get back down. I also have to stay active. It’s frustrating feeling like you have to work twice as hard for half the gains of someone normal but it is what it is and I’ll do whatever it takes to maintain my goal weight. I find that walking 1-3 miles daily (in addition to regular daily activity) really helps me keep my weight in check (when I do this but I don’t always) and I do eat back ALL my cardio exercise calories. These habits have worked for me to maintain a healthy weight for almost 6 years. It can be done, you just have to be honest with yourself, stay active and WEIGH YOUR FOOD PORTIONS and log everything to be as precise as possible. Good luck to you! 🙂
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Hi I have hypothyroidism too and just downloaded this app today.. I can walk for miles and not lose any weight at all so I’m hoping this helps :) ..i’m 60 and gaining more chins and losing more of my eyebrows as I type 😂... good luck everybody :)

I know right?! 🤣🤣🤣 I finally couldn’t stand how I looked without eyebrows and I got mine microbladed (semi-permanent tattoo) 3 years ago (get retouching once a year) best decision ever! 😊
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I will add - just because your thyroid levels are in the range doesn’t mean they are right for you

For example we keep mine in the .5-.7 range and anything over 1.2 and I have hypo signs including my weight creeping up and blood pressure issues - but finding a doc who will listen to you about this takes time
  • sarnold4438
    sarnold4438 Posts: 1 Member
    Try supplementing with iodine
  • dare2begin
    dare2begin Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks everyone!!
  • yellow1111
    yellow1111 Posts: 11 Member
    I’m in my 30’s and having the same issue 😕 every three months for the past 16 years my dose keeps getting “adjusted”. For some reason nobody can get my dose right 😩 but there’s some great advice here!! Best of luck to you!! I hope something helps! Following
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Hypothyroid here, lost 43 lbs and have kept it off over 5 years now. I understand the part about needing to have slightly less calories than someone with normal thyroid function. I have to eat slightly less than all the calorie calculators say I should. It’s only about 5% so not that much, that’s true... but it also means I’m just an extra cookie or two/week away from slowly regaining the weight again. If I let myself gain over 5 lbs from my goal weight I start to balloon quickly so I only allow myself a range of 3 lbs more or less than my goal weight. If I go up more than 3 lbs then I have to start logging and weighing my food again to get back down. I also have to stay active. It’s frustrating feeling like you have to work twice as hard for half the gains of someone normal but it is what it is and I’ll do whatever it takes to maintain my goal weight. I find that walking 1-3 miles daily (in addition to regular daily activity) really helps me keep my weight in check (when I do this but I don’t always) and I do eat back ALL my cardio exercise calories. These habits have worked for me to maintain a healthy weight for almost 6 years. It can be done, you just have to be honest with yourself, stay active and WEIGH YOUR FOOD PORTIONS and log everything to be as precise as possible. Good luck to you! 🙂

This is so interesting to read. I have Hashimoto's and lost 10kg about two years ago but gained some back. I would like to lose the last 3kg again and then not slip again. Exercise has done amazing things for my body and mind. I do cardio, Pilates and yoga.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Hashimoto's here. I'm early in my journey -- 6 weeks and I'm down 13 pounds. I'm following a Paleo way of eating, and going to the gym 2-3x a week. I find that Paleo eating gives me the energy that the Hashi's saps out of me, and the exercise helps to boost the weight loss a bit.