What if it was a job?

Options
Every day we have commitments. We have our families, our jobs, our pets, our friends, houses to clean, shopping, texting, whatever. How much of that stuff do you give yourself permission to treat it as optional? Do you say, I can't change the baby's diaper because I am too __________ (fill in blank with excuse). Yet for so many of us (I am included), we give ourselves permission to treat how we fuel our bodies and exercise them as something optional. We treat it as something that isn't really that important. What if your job description was: Make healthy food choices and get a reasonable amount of exercise? Would you be able to stick to it then because it is no longer an optional part of your life? Would you be fired because you still just don't want to get up and do anything?

There are so many posts asking for the motivation to get up and make the changes. When I get up in the morning to get ready for work, I want to go back to bed many days and spend time doing any number of other things. I don't. I get up and go to work because it is not optional. So what if getting into shape and getting healthy are part of the new job description? Can we all just agree that there are days we will love it, days we will hate it, but in the end, it isn't optional. We have to suck it up and just do it?

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Very well said!!! We don't ask others to motivate us to do the things we have to do, so why that?
  • mikeroplay
    Options
    I never thought of it like that, but that's a very good way of looking at it.
  • Chibble
    Chibble Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like this! Thank you for that perspective...
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I called in sick to work today ... =D
  • JanieKelley
    JanieKelley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    that is an awesome way to look at it! Thanks for sharing!
  • anjacat
    anjacat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to think of it that way. I try to make the gym my daily routine. So good point
  • Sagelit
    Sagelit Posts: 78
    Options
    I like the way you think. Thank you. Most fitness sites that I've read so far have encouraged the reader to plan in exercise like it's an appointment you can't miss.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Nice post!
  • Kytana
    Kytana Posts: 63
    Options
    :laugh:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Once I accepted that this lifestyle was not an option, things totally started falling in to place. Thanks for posting this!
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    I'm in!! Well said, thanks.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Great insight.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent outlook...thank you!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well put! Thanks so much for sharing!!
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    *LOVE THIS* thank you :)
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    *love* and i need to remember this ...
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I love that! We have a duty and obligation to our bodies :)