Chicken and eggs on the same day

Options
I've been trying to incorporate more protein into my diet, but I'm worried that eating eggs for breakfast one day means that I shouldn't eat chicken on that same day (for cholesterol reasons). Currently on the mornings that I eat eggs I have some other protein for lunch (i.e. low-fat hamburger, turkey, fish, etc.), and on mornings that I have oatmeal I enjoy a piece of chicken for lunch (I alternate breakfast days; 2 eggs, oatmeal, 2 eggs oatmeal, etc.) Or is it ok to eat eggs for breakfast and chicken for lunch on the same day? I'm not really one to get sick of the same old routine, but again, I'm trying to incorporate protein and less carbs daily.

Replies

• saraswanson89
    saraswanson89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Especially now that grilling season is here, this would clear up my options a lot
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that there was any reason you shouldn't.

If it's worrying you though, why not try some plant based protein sources for lunch?

Lentil soup, falafel, a chilli made with beans or chickpeas, a quinoa salad, endless options that definitely won't do any harm, and might even help....
  • MicahTrainerTx
    MicahTrainerTx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As others have stated previously, there's really nothing to fret about with the cholesterol, however if you'd still like to avoid high cholesterol numbers just as a safe practice anyway, it's understandable. When I want to have eggs, I use a little trick to lower the fat and cholesterol, as well as raise the overall protein to fat per calorie ratio.

It's not rocket science, but when I make an omelette or scrambled eggs, I'll typically use 3 eggs worth of egg whites only, plus one full egg. Meaning that I'm using a 3:1 ratio on egg whites to whole eggs. This will reduce the cholesterol/fat by nearly 75%, as the yolk is where most of the lipids and cholesterol are located in the egg. And yes, although there is still some of both in the egg-white it's far less by comparison.

I also use pasteurized/pre-seperated egg whites (sold in a carton that looks similar to a milk carton). You can almost always find this product in the dairy/eggs section of your local supermarket/grocery chain. It might be a little pricey compared to buying eggs and separating them yourself, but the price difference isn't quite as vast as you'd think when you take into account how many cartons of eggs you'd have to separate manually to equal what's sold pre separated, and that's not even taking into account the fact that I'd pay this extra amount for the convenience alone...

Additionally, many stores now have generic/store brand egg whites available. I used to buy "Only Whites" brand egg whites, but now my local store (kroger) is making their own generic version at a considerable price difference.

Maybe give the 3:1 ratio a try. Or, if you don't like that, even 2:1 or 1:1 would both knock down fat and cholesterol numbers by 50% and 25%, respectively.

Hope it helps.
  • saraswanson89
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Do you have any diagnosed medical conditions?

Only slight anemia. I know that the most recent science backs up the separation of food and cholesterol levels, but who knows if those findings will hold up in 6 months of a year (dark chocolate, red wine are examples of studies going back and forth on health benefits). Sometimes it's hard to keep up, and Googling chicken+eggs only gives health benefits of eggs, but no answers to the question :/
  • saraswanson89
    Options
    Ok thanks for the help everyone!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs and chicken most days, no issues.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    I'm really getting this incestuous/cannabilistic vibe from this thread. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when food cholesterol was going to kill us all I developed the habit of going meatless one day a week. I like eating that way so it was never a big deal. Now that it is not going to kill me I still like having them and replacing a portion of my meat and seafood intake with plant protein. It falls within my nutritional philosophy as "eating a variety" plus if food cholesterol decides to get murderous again I will be ahead of the game.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It's called the family meal (eat the parents and children).

You're fine eating them the same day. Unless you have familial hypercholesterolemia, dietary cholesterol doesn't have much impact.