1300ish calories

What do you eat? How do you do it? I come to you tonight feeling sooo defeated with myself. Working out is not the problem my problem is I’m a certified binge eater.

Replies

• myteasgonecold01
    myteasgonecold01 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2019
    I am also a binge eater, have been my entire life. I still binge every day. The thing is, I only eat once a day - dinner and it's a HUGE dinner. For some reason I just have to have a lot of food in front of me (I laugh at the idea of eating 6 small meals a day, I would never be able to do that). So, I just eat once a day. Today's example - roasted baby potatoes (A LOT) in olive oil with mushrooms (A LOT) and two veggie burgers + large avocado/tomato/onion/cilantro salad + a cup of Greek yogurt and some baby carrots. About 1200 calories.
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    I am also a binge eater, have been my entire life. I still binge every day. The thing is, I only eat once a day - dinner and it's a HUGE dinner. For some reason I just have to have a lot of food in front of me (I laugh at the idea of eating 6 small meals a day, I would never be able to do that). So, I just eat once a day. Today's example - roasted baby potatoes (A LOT) in olive oil with mushrooms (A LOT) and two veggie burgers + large avocado/tomato/onion/cilantro salad + a cup of Greek yogurt and some baby carrots. About 1200 calories.

I used to do this. It lasted for about a week and a half. It was easy when I had the house to myself, but now I’m everyday living with someone and when he eats—I want to as well. A while ago I had a switch go off for me as far as being consistent. I ate quite a bit this weekend, but was pretty active and Monday rolled around and it was a fresh start. For some reason, it now clicks to just wait for the next meal time. This is 11 months after my first attempt to do an intentional cut.

• NovemberSkye
    NovemberSkye Posts: 26 Member
    I would lower your deficit to begin with, especially if you are working out. Give it a month and see if you're still losing (losing slower, but without the constant urge to binge would be worth it to me!).

There are all the standard things to do to curb hunger (drinking lots of water, eating high volume/low calorie foods, making sure your getting adequate protein), but in the end those all ignore your body telling you that you need to eat more, which I am never a big advocate for.

Are you adding back exercise calories? If you are, then I am guessing you could be eating a lot more than 1300 and still lose at a good rate.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    agree with starting with a smaller deficit.

you also mention working out - if you used MFP to determine 1300 calories that is WITHOUT purposeful exercise. If you are working out you need to eat back a reasonable estimate of those calories.

play around with the foods you eat. Some people need more fat. or more carbs. or more protein to feel full. there is no one size fits all on this front so you may have to test different options.

keep foods you do enjoy in your daily and weekly diet. sometimes if we stick to only so called "healthy diet food" and leaving out all foods we enjoy that can lead to a binge.

if possible keep no/few binge worthy foods in the house. if others are bringing them in, maybe come to an agreement either that "those bags are not yours, you are not allowed to eat" or they can keep them somewhere out of sight completely (maybe not even in kitchen).
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Feel free to look at my diary. The truth is though, that you may be trying to maintain too large of a deficit. Are there specific foods that you tend to binge on? Can you keep them out of the house?
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,453 Member
    I try to keep my meals to 300-400 with higher protein to fill me up which leaves room for a snack or two. And eat back your exercise calories or you will run out of energy!

I also up my calories a bit on the weekends where I know there are celebrations so that it is life manageable. It helps me prevent the desire to eat treat foods because of feeling deprived.

Feel free to check out my diary. It's open.
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    I have to have the feeling of a full stomach. Most of the time that means whatever regular meal and then a large, large salad on the side. For me, it's not about the calories but the volume of the food. It works even when the salad is a kilo of lettuce and amounts to like 15 calories :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Where did you get 1300 calories from?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2019
    I eat at about 1300 calories. Hard to sustain without at least another 100 calories from exercise, but I manage it most of the time. Breakfast and lunch are about 300-400 calories of high protein/high fiber (often whole grain cereal with Greek yogurt for breakfast and something like brown rice & black beans with some chicken and topped with salsa and sometimes avocado for lunch). Dinner is usually 500-600 cals and usually includes a large salad and fish or chicken breast cooked various yummy ways. Then I usually have Greek yogurt, sometimes mixed with fresh blackberries, for an after-dinner snack. Sometimes I have a protein bar, protein powder with water or a carrot with hummus for a mid-afternoon snack. If I’ve done cardio that day and have more calories I’ll usually have more fruit, nuts and whole grains. Dinner might include baked fish tacos (breaded), falafel from a mix (sometimes baked, sometimes fried) with tzaziki sauce and pita bread, fish with parmesan/bread crumb topping, crispy oven-baked chicken (breaded, sometimes with apricot jam/mustard/bread crumb topping).

Everything I eat is evaluated for protein, fiber, “filling power” and taste. I only have alcohol or treats on special occasions. I rarely eat out (again, special occasions), and I don’t do a lot of bars/restaurants/parties socializing on weekends. And I eat back every single exercise calorie (estimated conservatively).
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    The first step is to determine if you binges are mostly caused by hunger or stress/emotions. If it's hunger, as others have said, increase your calories if you can (by choosing a slower loss rate or eating back exercise calories). If it's stress and emotions, you have to train yourself to cope in other ways. Make sure to eat on a schedule or pre-log your food if you can and count everything that goes in, even if it's over. I find light exercise to be really good for stress eating problems. Instead of eating my stress, I exercise off the nervous energy and I get a similar dopamine release.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    I lose on 1300! My consistent foods =

Blueberries, raspberries
    White rice (1/2 cup) with 1 tsp butter
    Shredded chicken breast from crock pot
    Roasted sweet potatoes and carrots
    Greek yogurt
    SkinnyPop popcorn
    Burger patties (usually no room for bun)
    A square of dark chocolate
    Oatmeal with 1 Tbsp peanut butter
    Babybell cheese
    Taco bowl = Avocado, lime/cilantro rice (half cup), black beans, salsa, cilantro, sautéed beef

Everything goes on a food scale. Especially that darn peanut butter

I also sip warm water, which puts off snacking.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    I eat twice a day so my calories per meal can be significant. I no longer snack unless it is planned for an event/occasion like favorite series finale, movie, etc.

I eat a minimum of two servings of fruit, three servings of vegetable, and add supplemental protein/dairy/oils to calorie controlled/accounted for prepackaged meals to transform them into satisfying meals vs. tiny portions of unsatisfying sadness. I have had to concede my original position and do now use low fat versions of some dairy items to keep the calorie count of compatible with my dietary plans for the day. Protein shake powder is used as coffee creamer. I do not eat protein bars as waayyy too many calories for the amount of protein and akin to throwing a hot dog down a hallway when it comes to my stomach and its sense of hunger, lol.

A minimum of 30% of my total caloric intake for the day has to be from fats, 20-25% protein, the rest carbs. I shoot for a minimum average of 20-30 grams of fiber/day per week. I also make myself go to bed before I get snacky late at night from being overtired and while skipping a day occasionally is okay, make sure I drink a minimum of 64 oz (usually closer to 96 oz) in water/tea/coffee every day. I don't drink diet carbonated drinks only because I think they are universally gross tasting.

I don't drink alcohol because I quit drinking alcohol except on rare special occasions in 2012. If I was cooking from scratch I would use it in cooking since most of the alcohol gets cooked off but that's not in play at the moment.

This is working for me. For the first time in a decade+ now, I just 'know' this is going to work. Determination finally showing up to the party helps, but is not the fulcrum my success is hinging upon. No breakthrough hunger, no grazing between meals, no binges, no borderline food obsessing/obsession all have major roles in it for me.

Well, okay. No binges as long as I plan for menstruation cycle and up my daily calories to around calculated maintenance and eat a full additional meal the 1-3 days my appetite is sharp. Eating a planned additional 4-800 calories beats bingeing on 2-5K calories of mindless unplanned and so unsatisfying foods any day in my book.

I do no intentional exercise and will not until I am at a weight where I am not going to sustain an exercise induced injury of any type. BTDT multiple times; never again.

None of this is to say "be/do like me". It is to illustrate what kinds of nutrition related things I had to figure out about myself before I could hit upon the right combination of those things in a calorie controlled eating plan that is consistently working (knock on wood) in my particular instance. Here's hoping for much success in you find your own customized dietary "sweet spot" in far less time than it took me. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    If you are actually binging, figuring out how to eat enough on 1300 isn't really the issue, figuring out why the binges is, and I'd definitely start by reducing the deficit.

I did eat happily on 1250 (+ exercise cals, which MFP intends to be eaten back) for a while, so would have some thoughts on a satiating 1300 cal diet, but I think the binging is a more important question to address first.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Let's define binge.

I define it as eating several hundred calories over my plan in an out of control manner.

It can be ten different snacks of healthy foods like almonds and cottage cheese and fruit or it can be 2000 extra calories of pumpkin pie and whipped cream.

Different strategies for differing triggers, as well. Bored? Mad? Sad? Lonely? Tired? Those have different solutions than Actual Hunger Because 1300 Is Really Too Low.

It helped me a lot to journal around these big overages and see what the problem(s) really were. In this case, I'll bet it's mostly a too-low calorie goal.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I didn't binge (as I would define it), but journaling also was very helpful for me in addressing issues that led to me overeating. Highly recommended as a way to figure out what's going on and to identify triggers, as cmriverside said.