Pre work out food?????

Options
What does everyone have to eat before they go to the gym? Also any suggestions?

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to eat anything, gives me stomach cramps to exercise on a full stomach. Maybe something small like a banana or some yogurt.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Espresso and candy for me
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I usually eat lunch about 45 minutes to an hour before and have a banana while I'm working out.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Whole grain toast with peanut butter.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I'm at the gym about 4:30 a.m. No way I could eat that early. :s
  • simonwood1981
    simonwood1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Small amount Chicken and rice 1.5 - 2 hours before,

if I don't have that, 'll have a banana and a cup of black coffee 30 minutes before workout
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Morning - normally nothing.
    Afternoon - normally lunch.
    Evening - normally dinner.

My suggestion would be to concentrate on the quality of your workout and your overall diet and not what you eat before, during or after gym sessions which is of trivial significance for all but the elite or extreme exercisers.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I exercise very very early in the morning, so my routine when waking up is a caffeine pill (equiv of 2 cups coffee) and a small protein bar. If I didn't have both of those items I wouldn't survive, lol.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If I’m running first thing in the morning, I like various small fruit-based bars, like mini Larabars. 100ish calories is good for me for an hour of running.

If I can, though, I prefer to eat breakfast and then run a few hours later after I’ve had time to digest.
  • Murrayzaida
    Murrayzaida Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Weekends I generally train late morning and during the week in the evening. Training would be a gym session (strength) or an hour's swim. In both cases I'll have 1/2 a cup of oats an hour before.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I had a trainer he recommended a slice of whole grain toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a banana an hour before working out. So I did, and then threw up in the middle of our session. Then he said nevermind, try just having two scrambled eggs. Same result. So I tried just not eating and that worked just fine.