Ground turkey versus ground turkey breast

Options
Hi All,
Wondering whether there is nutritional differences and/or benefit to cooking/eating ground turkey breast as opposed to ground turkey?
Thanks!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Breast will have less fat and therefore less calories, depending on the fat percentage of the ground turkey that is a mix of white and dark meat. Ground turkey that includes dark meat has more flavor, IMO.

So the benefits depend on your priorities - if you want to eat more for less calories, go for the breast. If you prefer the flavor of the dark meat, go for that.

For non-ground chicken, my OH prefers white and I prefer dark, so I alternate.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly (or perhaps not), commercial ground turkey tends to carry almost as many calories as ground beef because manufacturers use dark meat, skin, and fat to maintain some flavor and moisture. Plain ground turkey breast will be much leaner but it runs the chance of cooking up quite dry and chalky.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If I was going to eat one it would never be the ground turkey breast so it has no nutrients for me.
  • mwoltermann
    mwoltermann Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I use turkey, I go for the ground breast. Its less calories and normally I am using ground turkey to make burgers or a sausage so I can compensate w/ spices and add something for moisture (like I make siracha turkey burgers and soy sauce is added). I honestly don't taste a huge difference between the two anyways. For me, if i am going to eat the extra calories I will go w/ ground beef.