tennis elbow

Options
I had stopped exercising since Sept of last year because I developed the tennis elbow, got steroid injections and was told to rest it, this last month the pain has came back worse and still going to the doc on Monday, a friend told me to just work through the pain, does anyone have any solutions to this, I really want to start working out again.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I would access what is the cause and make adjustments.

Some of the more common issues that can causes this is pulling motions such as rows, pull ups, curls, etc. I've experienced it in the past from squats on how I position the bar and load on my back.

Does any of these ring a bell?

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    (This pushes the boundaries of what I consider “giving medical advice on the internet”, but I also think it falls under the “do not harm” label, so I am going ahead, esp since you are unlikely to hear this from normal medical sources).

This is a long-term injury, in my experience (once with myself, several times with clients and members). You might be able to work around it. Again, in my experience (and I think the clinical evidence is supportive), rest is not a long-term solution (nor is cortisone injection). I have seen better results with active therapy, centered on eccentric loading.

This is a device specifically designed for that purpose:

TheraBand FlexBar, Tennis Elbow Therapy Bar, Relieve Tendonitis Pain & Improve Grip Strength, Resistance Bar for Golfers Elbow & Tendinitis, Red, Light, Beginner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A58F934/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_N5nbDbCQT7AAT

I never tried the flex bar, but I did some other exercises using the same approach. Here is another list of exercises, from a reputable source:

https://www.orthocenterillinois.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Tennis-Elbow.pdf

Again, in my experience, this type of tendinitis takes about 12 months to resolve (I won’t say “heal” because, every though it’s been 5 years in my case and I can do any activity, I am always aware of it).

NOTE: this approach is suitable mostly if you have a clear diagnosis of “tennis elbow”, ie tendinitis or tendonosis of the lateral epicondyle. The same symptoms can be caused by a tear, the treatment recommendations might be different.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    (This pushes the boundaries of what I consider “giving medical advice on the internet”, but I also think it falls under the “do not harm” label, so I am going ahead, esp since you are unlikely to hear this from normal medical sources).

This is a long-term injury, in my experience (once with myself, several times with clients and members). You might be able to work around it. Again, in my experience (and I think the clinical evidence is supportive), rest is not a long-term solution (nor is cortisone injection). I have seen better results with active therapy, centered on eccentric loading.

This is a device specifically designed for that purpose:

TheraBand FlexBar, Tennis Elbow Therapy Bar, Relieve Tendonitis Pain & Improve Grip Strength, Resistance Bar for Golfers Elbow & Tendinitis, Red, Light, Beginner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A58F934/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_N5nbDbCQT7AAT

I never tried the flex bar, but I did some other exercises using the same approach. Here is another list of exercises, from a reputable source:

https://www.orthocenterillinois.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Tennis-Elbow.pdf

Again, in my experience, this type of tendinitis takes about 12 months to resolve (I won’t say “heal” because, every though it’s been 5 years in my case and I can do any activity, I am always aware of it).

I have and still use a Therabar. It's been about 3 years for me, but that's exacerbated by the fact that I had RC surgery/recovery at the time I was also looking at getting this treated.

I've never found any immediate relief, but between the Therabar and *VERY* light weight Zottman curls it's beginning to improve quite a bit. On the Zottman curls I never use more than 10lbs, low rep to warm up and keep it slow. The motion from that exercise seems to perfectly target and stretch exactly what's needed. After that I'm comfortable doing some fairly decent sets.

I never did get any relief from the cortisone shot we tried.
  • sugars3036
    sugars3036 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I do appreciate it😊