Stalled weight loss... need help

Options
So I feel like this last week I was great with my intake keeping a 750-1200 calorie deficit and was able to push my exercise for a slightly longer and a higher level on the elliptical but my weight loss this last week was 0.5lbs. I am confused thinking my routine is likely the issue but not having anyone for help I want to know if anyone has any idea of a good source for workouts for overweight men.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Losing less one week than you expect is not a stall. Weight loss isn't linear, some weeks you'll lose more and some less.

Increasing exercise intensity can lead to some water retension.

You're looking for progress over time, one week to the next can be misleading. Patience :smile:
  • joannehornik1969
    joannehornik1969 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    mrronbacon wrote: »
    So I feel like this last week I was great with my intake keeping a 750-1200 calorie deficit and was able to push my exercise for a slightly longer and a higher level on the elliptical but my weight loss this last week was 0.5lbs. I am confused thinking my routine is likely the issue but not having anyone for help I want to know if anyone has any idea of a good source for workouts for overweight men.
    Keep track of your measurements!!! Take photos of yourself too!! Cause even though you dont see it on the scale you maybe losing in other ways!!! And be patient!!! Mix up your routine a little too!!!! Dont get discouraged!! And stay away from high sodium too!!! Have a blessed day!!!
  • sherryzm24
    sherryzm24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't the training (contributes a small %), nor the TYPES of food you are having. Losing weight is all about being in a negative energy balance i.e burn more calories than you consume.
    Having said, The main problem is with being in a caloric deficit of 750-1200 kcal for A VERY LONG TIME (that's what I assume from your thread). Your body is metabolically adapted to the idea of staying in that deficit WITHOUT giving it any diet breaks (refeeding 30% over maintenance especially with carbs to replenish lost glycogen) to the body. Your body needs to restart it's metabolism right now just the way you change your vehicle's engine oil.

In a nutshell, get off the caloric deficit for 5-7 days and eat 30% more than your maintenance calories mainly from carbs. Your body will then recover all the glycogen stores and retain some water as well. This method will restart fat loss, improve your training performance and eventually will get you out of the plateau once you get into a deficit again.

Thank me later.