You gotta change your perspective

Options
I keep seeing people talking about being on a diet. I see people starving themselves to lose weight quick. In my opinion, that is no way to be successful! You have GOT to change the way you are looking at things. To lose the weight and to keep it off, you have to change the way you eat and exercise....forever. It isn't a temporary thing unless you want your weight loss to be temporary! The good news is you don't have to do the same exact exercise or eat the same exact things forever. There is such a huge variety of food exercise choices that we can explore, that our lifetimes are well covered for any who don't want to have to do or eat the same thing forever.
Really though, please stop dieting and start living a new healthier life...let your end goal be that you live a good strong healthy life, not that you diet for a while and loose some weight.

Replies

• kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Amen Sister!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more!
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    AGREEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    YESSSS!!!!!
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    food as fuel. not food as friend. :)
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    "Eat to live, don't live to eat"
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    "Eat to live, don't live to eat"

I usually live by this, but my body is craving sweets today. Maybe it's almost TOM
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    food as fuel. not food as friend. :)

Lol, this reminds of "Fish are friends, not food." from Finding Nemo.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Agree. Took a while to put it on..going to take a while to take it off..the right way..where it will stay off.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! Healthy eating of whole foods should be our lifestyle, not a diet. Getting regular exercise of all kinds, cardio and weight lifting for strong muscles should be a joy, not something you grudgingly do because you want to lose weight. Exercising keeps both your mind and your body fit. To those who say they hate exercise I say keep trying different things until you find something you do like!
  • tcooper81
    tcooper81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yup
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This statement is so so true. thank you for sharing this. I am still tryin really hard to get into this frame of mind but have to say that this has really been hard. But with the help of good friends an good family support any is possible.

God Bless & Thanks for Sharing!!!!!
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Well said!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. People are so hung up on how they look, that they go through these diets to fix it temporarily. I see it all the time. A female wants to get ready to look her best for her wedding, it's because it's probably going to be the best she'll EVER look......because there is this conception that it would stay that way. Couldn't be more wrong.
    Happens to men and women that once "taken" the weight piles on. Why? Because they changed their attitudes and lifestyles.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This is so true. I have dieted a few times to lose weight and it always came off quickly. Most of the time, I never even got close to my goal. I just lost 30 pounds or so. I would gain it back slowly, so I didn't really notice that I was going the wrong direction. By the time I realized it, I was onto something else and in a state of denial.

This time, I started again like I usually do, but at a much slower rate. It was aggravating, but it was all I could manage. I was going the right direction, but I still knew my head wasn't in it fully. You know that moment when it "clicks" and you have that motivation to make it quite a ways down the road, until you hit the next stumbling block.

What finally clicked for me was when I realized that my goal needed to be something other than just losing the weight (even though I am more than 100 pounds overweight). Once I changed my focus to eating to be healthy ("Eat to Live"), and once I better understood the relationship between the food I was ingesting and how it made my body function, my whole perspective changed. Now I no longer feel tempted, or have urges to binge or feel like eating more than I need to feel full. I feel like someone has removed a heavy burden from me that was controlling my choices. Now I feel like I have free will. And surprisingly, healthy food tastes so delicious, once your taste buds readjust.

Sure you can lose weight eating 600 calories of Oreos a day, but you are damaging your body and not giving it the nutrients it needs to attack viruses, fight heart disease and cancer, and heal yourself. Most of the western diseases are food-borne illnesses. You can eat yourself to wellness or eat yourself sick.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I hate the way the word "diet" has been coopted by the weight loss industry.

Diet: food and drink regularly consumed; from the original Greek diaita, meaning manner of living.

My "diet" is the food I consume regularly, not a food regime of deprivation.

I'm vegan - it was the easiest thing I have ever done. Why? Because my entire mindset flipped. I never feel deprived or like I "can't" have something. I "choose" not to eat some things. Switch those two words - makes a world of difference.
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    so true .. and remember a diet signifies (to most) that there is an end where you can stop .. what you need to do is make a lifestyle change.

For me, it was basically learning how to eat again .. correctly this time.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I completely agree that you should consider healthier eating and being more active a lifestyle change. That being said...I am so looking forward to reaching my goal and going on maintenance! I've got big plans for those extra calories every day!! :bigsmile:
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    I totally agree with you! Healthy eating of whole foods should be our lifestyle, not a diet. Getting regular exercise of all kinds, cardio and weight lifting for strong muscles should be a joy, not something you grudgingly do because you want to lose weight. Exercising keeps both your mind and your body fit. To those who say they hate exercise I say keep trying different things until you find something you do like!

Amen, again! It also keeps you youthful. i have friends the same age that don't work out and they look old and run down! BUT I"M the one who always gets carded for beer! LOL