Day #1 of 'Eat Your Burnt Cals' Experiment - PLEASE comment

Note: I posted this this morning too, but it was very early and I'd like the evening people to see it too
=============================================================================

OK, as you know, yesterday I started the 'eat all your burnt calories' experiment. To summarise my MFP history, I have lost 34 pounds to date, hit my target of 13 stones, and now want to add tone/muscle. When browsing these boards and people's blogs, a common thread seemed to be that if you want to get rid of your remaining body fat and tone up/build muscle, not only do you have to workout, but you also have to eat the additional calories you burn as a result of doing so. Now, having a pound or two to spare, I decided to initiate an experiment to prove the hypothesis for myself and those many people I see asking the question. The comments when I posted this yesterday were all supportive and along the 'it works for me, don't worry' line. I WAS worried - I never want to be overweight again! Some of you were also interested in the results. So, here we go:

Pre (early morning) workout: Ate carbs (as recommended) in the form of home made muesli (no sugar etc like the bought stuff), and an apple.

Workout: One hours weight training and calisthenics

Post workout: Ate protein (two boiled aggs). Again, as recommended.

Morning: General housework etc

Lunch: Prepared and ate home made vegetable curry. All natural/'clean' ingredients. Only a drop of olive oil used to kick off the cooking. Small serving of brown/wild rice to accompany. No chutney or yogurt on the side! Note: I never use added salt in my cooking! ALL ingredients registered in food diary.

Afternoon: More general housework/gardening, and an educational/shopping trip to the supermarket (FYI, basket loaded with fruit, veg, fish etc)

Evening: Stupidly (I planned to eat protein as it was low in my diary), I instead had 100g of oven fries, then finished the day with a fig so that my calories were close to the combined total (allowance and those burnt).

Drink wise, I only had 5 of my recommended cups ( I know, I know...)

Daily Intake: Protein low, carbs and sugar high. The chips and fig account for the carbs (idiot!) Sugar was just bits and pieces in the fruit and veg, an inordinate 10g from the fig (again, idiot), and surprisingly the muesli (23g). Anyone know why sugar free muesli (Jordans - the closest I could find to mine) still registers sugar in it? Is it all the dried fruit? If that's the case, that and the fig combined account for the overload. Is natural sugar (as opposed to refined) really that bad for you? If so, I'll cut out the dried fruit when I make my next batch and put my own recipe into the database for the future.

Now the good news, only 4 ounces put on! Were it not for the chips and the sugar excess, I'd probably have maintained my weight, which is my intent.

Does anyone have any comment, especially advice, on Day #1? I'll be running this for another 2 days, possibly 4 if the results are variable, so check back here if like me you're interested in the experiment.

Thanks

Replies

• julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Just 2-3 days won't really show you a true reflection. I think when you are experimenting you should do it for a couple of weeks. But I hope it works for you! You're not going to gain all of the weight that you lost back overnight so don't stress if the scale swings by a pound or two. Great job on the weight loss so far!
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    natural sugars are better for you than refined sugars, but like everything else you have to eat it in moderation...I personally don't kick myself in the butt if I go over my sugar if I know they were mostly all natural sugar
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Anytime I up my calories it does take a couple days to show on the scale.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    A day of eating exercise calories aren't going to show a difference.
    You need to do it for at least 2 weeks before you can start to see/feel results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Note: I posted this this morning too, but it was very early and I'd like the evening people to see it too
    =============================================================================

OK, as you know, yesterday I started the 'eat all your burnt calories' experiment. To summarise my MFP history, I have lost 34 pounds to date, hit my target of 13 stones, and now want to add tone/muscle. When browsing these boards and people's blogs, a common thread seemed to be that if you want to get rid of your remaining body fat and tone up/build muscle, not only do you have to workout, but you also have to eat the additional calories you burn as a result of doing so. Now, having a pound or two to spare, I decided to initiate an experiment to prove the hypothesis for myself and those many people I see asking the question. The comments when I posted this yesterday were all supportive and along the 'it works for me, don't worry' line. I WAS worried - I never want to be overweight again! Some of you were also interested in the results. So, here we go:

Pre (early morning) workout: Ate carbs (as recommended) in the form of home made muesli (no sugar etc like the bought stuff), and an apple.

Workout: One hours weight training and calisthenics

Post workout: Ate protein (two boiled aggs). Again, as recommended.

Morning: General housework etc

Lunch: Prepared and ate home made vegetable curry. All natural/'clean' ingredients. Only a drop of olive oil used to kick off the cooking. Small serving of brown/wild rice to accompany. No chutney or yogurt on the side! Note: I never use added salt in my cooking! ALL ingredients registered in food diary.

Afternoon: More general housework/gardening, and an educational/shopping trip to the supermarket (FYI, basket loaded with fruit, veg, fish etc)

Evening: Stupidly (I planned to eat protein as it was low in my diary), I instead had 100g of oven fries, then finished the day with a fig so that my calories were close to the combined total (allowance and those burnt).

Drink wise, I only had 5 of my recommended cups ( I know, I know...)

Daily Intake: Protein low, carbs and sugar high. The chips and fig account for the carbs (idiot!) Sugar was just bits and pieces in the fruit and veg, an inordinate 10g from the fig (again, idiot), and surprisingly the muesli (23g). Anyone know why sugar free muesli (Jordans - the closest I could find to mine) still registers sugar in it? Is it all the dried fruit? If that's the case, that and the fig combined account for the overload. Is natural sugar (as opposed to refined) really that bad for you? If so, I'll cut out the dried fruit when I make my next batch and put my own recipe into the database for the future.

Now the good news, only 4 ounces put on! Were it not for the chips and the sugar excess, I'd probably have maintained my weight, which is my intent.

Does anyone have any comment, especially advice, on Day #1? I'll be running this for another 2 days, possibly 4 if the results are variable, so check back here if like me you're interested in the experiment.

Thanks

It will take much longer than 3-4 days to see if this works, try it for 3-4 weeks, your body takes time to adjust.
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    natural sugars are better for you than refined sugars, but like everything else you have to eat it in moderation...I personally don't kick myself in the butt if I go over my sugar if I know they were mostly all natural sugar

I'm the same way. I've had days where I've gone WAY over on sugar, but it comes from apples, pears, carrots, corn, etc. If you deny yourself even natural sugar, you're in for some trouble.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    This would be a cool thing to track on the BLOG section of MFP. So we could see your entries as a progression not hit or miss on the boards.

On the boards, once you've finished your blog entry, you could post a message that says "Day #1 of 'Eat Your Burnt Cals' Experiment - PLEASE comment " and then include the link to your blog. (If it's an MFP link it will be a live link)

That way if someone finds you on day #3 or #14 all of your journey will be in one place (where folks can comment) And the info will much more relevant in context.

Looks like your putting a lot of work into this entry. I'd like to see it do the most people the most good.
  • I don't think you need to worry about becoming overweight again. You are clearly taking active control over your weight, which is AWESOME! Word of advice: Don't weigh yourself daily and DON'T measure in ounces, that just puts stres into your life and studies have shown that high stress levels impede weight loss and actually incourage weight gain.

You definitely need to run the experiment longer than four days if you want to collect accurate data. Also, if you're trying to gain muscle you need all the protein you can get. If you're taking in more protein you need to also increase your water consumption otherwise it causes severe stress on your liver. When your liver's angry, you're whole body gets upset.

Don't be too concerned with the natural sugars. Having the appropriate blood sugar levels helps keep you full. If your blood sugar is too low than you won't feel satisfied, even if you manage for a few days you will still feel like bingeing eventually. The natural sugars should help keep you balanced.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Please note that I will be posting the daily entries to my blog now (following auntiebabs' excellent suggestion), so if you want to follow my experiment, please follow it here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/russelljclarke/edit/the-eat-up-the-calories-you-ve-burnt-journal-141575