Macro percentages

Options
Hi I'm sure there's a million threads on this but I would like a good solid answer. For now I am just calorie counting. I'm doing 1450 a day and going to slowly go down to 1200 once my body stops being so hungry. I am also trying to keep an eye on what I'm eating for future reference. I've done so much research and am seeing so many different answers on ratios. I thought maybe 35p/40f/25c? I'm not trying to gain muscle just lose fat for now. For reference - I'm 32 female, 5'0 and 176lbs

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    i just use MFP’s base recommendation. mostly just make sure to hit protein minimum though, i don’t pay much attention.
  • DiscoBetty99
    DiscoBetty99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist put me on 45c/30p/25f
    I’m excercising 5x per week, once with a PT, and have 1803 calorie allowance per day. I’m 138lb
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Good protein estimate is .8g/lb of goal weight. Otherwise go with what seems good for you fat vs. carb wise.

1200 is low so, for example, for me with a healthy goal of 120, protein goal was 96, so that was over 30% of 1200. It's more like 26% of 1450, so I'd likely do 25% and just have in my head that I should be around 96. Beyond that I'd stick with what feels good and natural when trying to eat a generally healthy diet. I eat plenty of fat but am rarely around 40%, which feels high to me, and would see no reason to push myself to that high, but there's nothing wrong with it if it fits naturally.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I had good success with the macro setup described here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

But I think it's really important to emphasize that macros don't matter that much. People survive, thrive, and lose weight on a huge variety of macro splits. There are minimum amounts of protein and fats your body needs for general good health, but other than that satiety and personal preference are more important. So play around and see what you like best.