Strength gains on 800-1000 calorie deficit?

Options
I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for 3 weeks now. My squat and deadlift weights have improved, though not massively, and my barbell row and bench press haven't shifted at all.

I'm doing dumbbell bench presses and can't shift beyond 12.5kg in each hand. I've tried a couple of times with 15s and can't make 5 reps so I end up going back. I'm definitely getting more comfortable with the 12.5s, but it feels like awfully slow progress compared to the 'noob gains' phenomenon everyone talks about.

I'm eating 1200 calories a day (don't panic, I'm 17 stone and feeling great on it!). Is it possible that that's causing the slow progress?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You titled your thread indicating 800-1000 cals and then say you're eating 1200 - which is it?
    You probably will have some newbie strength gains but you wont see anything major whilst eating in calorie deficit.
    1200 seems far too little for your current weight, is that what MFP gave you? you also need to eat back exercise calories.
    You might feel great so far but its early days, our bodies need adequate fuel as do our muscles. I'm sure others will pipe in to explain further...
  • Skinimalink
    Skinimalink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1200, for a deficit of 800-1000. I'm diabetic and my liver is struggling to function so losing weight is absolutely my first priority at the moment, hence the low calories. I'm not really trying to gain strength at the moment, so much as maintain muscle while I lose fat, but I wondered about the total lack of progress with the bench press, and whether my expectations were just all wrong for my circumstances.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Your net calories shouldn't be less than 1200, even if diabetic. Some people find low carb helps with diabetes and also liver, there has to be threads on the forum covering these or start a new one for advice for that.
  • Skinimalink
    Options
    I've been doing keto for 10 months now, it has helped a little with the diabetes but it's the weight loss the helps my liver. I'm not really looking for advice on that, I know what works for me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Progress is def slower in a deficit, for many that have lifted for a while will actually see strength decreases.

If jumping to 15kgs is too tough now, maybe try 5x6 for the 12.5s, once you can get 6 reps on all 5 sets with that wegiht, you could probably jump to the 15s and at least hit 5 reps on your first 3-4 sets
  • Skinimalink
    Options
    Good plan, I'll give that a go today.
  • jessicalys
    jessicalys Posts: 27 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I agree, progress is slower in a deficit. I eat 1900 cals on the days I lift and 1600 on days that I don't to help fuel my workouts. I look at the entire week to make sure I still hit a good deficit to lose.

I'm down 87lbs, and I've seen pretty decent gains since Oct 2018:

bench: from 65lbs to 125lbs 1 rep max
    squat: from body weight to 145lbs 5x5
    deadlift: from 225lbs to 270lbs 1 rep max
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    As an obese newbie female first lifting in a deficit, I found I made rapid progress with my lower body and almost no progress with my upper body. I didn’t see substantial increases in my bench until I went into maintenance.

I’m also diabetic and getting down to a normal BMI was very helpful but didn’t miraculously cure my diabetes as some have touted. My experience is that by controlling my intake of carbs and exercising in time with meals, I can keep my labs within normal range, but I am still unable to eat a larger amount of carbs without a spike. Different diabetics have different experiences, best of luck to you. Hopefully getting the weight off will make a huge difference for you!
  • Skinimalink
    Options
    If I have to stay keto forever, it doesn't bother me that much - I'm well used to it now! It's a small price to pay to keep it under control.

I upped my reps today and did 12.5 x 5, 7, 7, 6 and 5. I'll keep pushing that and see how it goes. My form is improving anyway, and my stability, so that's good.