Potassium

Does any one else have a really hard time meeting their potassium requirement? Was thinking about trying to find supplements but even then, I don't think they sell ones above 400mg.

Replies

• hslhende
    hslhende Posts: 4 Member
    oh i didn't know that, thanks! feel better now, just always see the bar half filled.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Most people have a hard time getting the recommended amount of potassium. In fact, less than 2 percent of Americans meet the 4700mg recommendation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22854410.

In general I wouldn't recommend trying to supplement potassium. They are limited by the FDA because too much potassium from supplements can have negative health effects. I'd recommend trying to get it naturally from diet: beans, tomatoes (especially sauce and paste), bananas, oranges, avocados, potatoes, sweet potatoes, spinach, beets, chicken, coconut water, and butternut squash are a few foods high in potassium.

If you are using the MFP database to track your potassium intake, not every food is updated with the proper potassium info as it is not required. It is also just becoming required for food labelers, so it may not even be on the labels of the food you are eating yet.

But in general, a good intake of fruits, vegetables, and legumes can help you get close to your potassium needs. I wouldn't necessarily stress though if you are not hitting your limit.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    You are probably meeting your potassium levels but just don't know it. Most foods (at least in the US) do not list potassium on the label because it is not a required value. You can look up your foods in the USDA database of you really want to track your levels.

Also, potassium is something that you want to be VERY careful with - too much potassium causes heart issues and other major problems. Unless your Dr has said that you need to supplement it (from the results of a blood test), I wouldn't risk the consequences of supplementing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    hslhende wrote: »
    oh i didn't know that, thanks! feel better now, just always see the bar half filled.

As others said, don't worry about it unless your Dr. says something after a blood test.

If you want to eat more potassium rich foods "just in case" (especially in the summer when you sweat more) you can incorporate things like avocados, watermelon, tomato paste, potatoes (with the peels), beets and pomegranates (all of which have more potassium per serving than bananas). It is hard to get too much potassium via food so adding a few more servings will do no harm.
  • hslhende
    hslhende Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2019
    might go get my blood tested then and make any diet changes based on that if need be. relatively new to monitoring what i eat so it's a mix match trying to make sure i get enough but not too much of everything.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I have asked this elsewhere and someone probably answered me but I can't find it. Why is everyone suddenly obsessed with potassium levels? I literally never think of it.
  • smcwllms
    smcwllms Posts: 27 Member
    900mg potassium in 8oz of low sodium V8.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I have asked this elsewhere and someone probably answered me but I can't find it. Why is everyone suddenly obsessed with potassium levels? I literally never think of it.

I was wondering too. Is the app displaying scary pie charts showing people aren't getting enough? I use the desktop version so don't get that.

Or maybe it is in social media a lot?

I'm also wondering why people are suddenly realizing there are calories in coffee creamer.
  • jcoff1
    jcoff1 Posts: 2,035 Member
    I take a blood pressure medication that leaches potassium from the body, my doctor originally wanted me to take a supplement because of it. I refused because I felt I could keep things in balance with proper diet. It's been about 20 years and have never needed that supplement!
    Good food sources for potassium are dried apricots, watermelon, dark green leafy veggies, milk products, bananas, and potatoes.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Potatoes.... all the potatoes! Yum
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »

I think people get so freaked out about it because they start paying attention to MFP nutritional details, but don't realize the impact of potassium not being on food labels, so not being accurate in the crowd-sourced database. I've spot-checked my normal eating (very veggie-heavy) and do normally get plenty, but MFP shows me as waaaay under most days because of the label/database limitations.