Too Much Exercise?

Options
So I just got back from Zumba class today, my first day alone without my cousin and coworker. Tonight my cousin wants to go to the gym. So I thought hey why not burn some more calories today along with th 749 I burnt at Zumba this morning. Is it ok to workout twice a day (morning and night) ?

I know very akward question but I heard you shouldn't do cardio twice a day, but I don't know if that was a lie.

Replies

• Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    short answer is yes, personally i work out whenever i get the chance. Sometimes 3 times a day sometimes 1/2 a time. As long as you feel great dont have any injuries (minor muscle soreness is fine) then go for it. Just remember to eat as you will be hungrier than normal.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    As long as you pay attention to your body as you are doing it and are being careful then yeah it isn't a problem. In college for soccer we had double sessions all the time. Just don't push the second one too hard, and don't be surprised if you are sore in the morning lol
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So I just got back from Zumba class today, my first day alone without my cousin and coworker. Tonight my cousin wants to go to the gym. So I thought hey why not burn some more calories today along with th 749 I burnt at Zumba this morning. Is it ok to workout twice a day (morning and night) ?

I know very akward question but I heard you shouldn't do cardio twice a day, but I don't know if that was a lie.

It's a lie! Enjoy your 2-a-day !!! Athletes do it all the time. In the military, I even did 3-a-days

Just listen to your body, eat a little more than usual, and take it in stride. It's not something you should make a regular practice (unless you're a competitive athlete in training for something specific). But hey, one 2-a-day in a while aint bad!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you feel okay to do more and are fueling your body properly it should not be a problem
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just make sure you eat enough to support both workouts.
  • IroncladBRX
    IroncladBRX Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just be careful that you don't overdo it or you'll regret it. Make sure your body is in enough condition to handle 2x per day.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you're burning loads, it's ok as long as you're body has enough fuel for the workouts (ie: food) If you don't feel you can eat that much, then don't make it a regular occurance (now and again is ok)
    This is a general rule though, even if you're eating enough, exercising every day to that intensity can still put the body under alot of stress, if you want this to become a regular thing, just try to take a few rest days each week (again...if it's not often it should be fine) :)

As others have said, listen to your body. This will be the best indicator of whether you can handle it well or not.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i do two-a-days frequently...try to do a different activity than zumba (perhaps lifting?) and listen to your body. make sure you eat enough since you will be burning lots of calories! I dont suggest doing two-a-days every day but once in a while (even twice a week) is okay!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    "Splits" aren't uncommon. I train 2x a day with weights and light cardio in the morning, then another higher intensity cardio session in the evening (usually interval, HIIT or Tabata). As long as you're getting enough rest and nutrition, it's no big deal.
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    I say go for it! But as everyone has stated to listen to your body. If you feel to sore or pain, you should stop. Overdoing it isn't good either then you'll get an injury. So as long as your body feels fine do it :)

Also make sure you eat enough and not starve yourself :)
  • jenniferpro89
    Options
    Definitely won't make it an everyday thing but hey lets see how it goes!

thank you everyone, i will look forward to being sore tomorrow though lol =)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Do it. Eat it. Do it again. Eat it again. Then crap it out and start over.
  • Hunger4Fitness
    Options
    Sure, just keep fueling your body. Remember, NFL Players have to do 2-a-day training during the off season, too. It's one of my secret weapons when cutting.
  • skye15
    skye15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ...ZUMBA burns 749 calories?!! I want to get in on this! :)
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love working out; I workout whenever I have the energy and time and convenience to do so... Some people workout for a LIVING... twice a day is alright... for sure... do what feels good.
  • jenniferpro89
    Options

DO IT DO IT DO IT !! It is so addicting and fun, you feel like your not working out!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on your weight and intensity. The average burn for most will be around 400-600 for an hour.