Novice Runners challenge

Options
Want to join me in my personal challenge to run 3 miles a day for three weeks? I'm a newbie runner, 7 months postpartum, trying to shed the last of my baby weight. I've been running one time a week for a couple months and am psychologically ready to run daily now! I won't stop running after the three week mark, just using the "challenge" to jump start a good habit! Friend me for lots of encouragement and open diary too! (Looking forward to a little freedom running daily will offer my diet!)

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Why not ramp up slowly? That could be a lot for the knees!
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi, Melanie, thanks for the warning! I've never had knee issues so this never crossed my mind! I'm working with a trainer, though, so hopefully she has my best interests at heart.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    That is not a challenge I would recommend to any novice runner. Your risk of injury will be very, very high.

If you decide to do it I wish you the best of luck.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    The general recommendation is not to increase weekly mileage by more than 10% to avoid injury. I still consider myself a beginner runner having just started in February, but I don’t want stress fractures. I’ve already seen a friend sidelined and miserable while waiting to recover. I highly recommend you follow a structured program so that you can increase your time and distance safely. Couch to 5k is a great program. After completing it I’ve used runkeeper to keep my weekly stats so that I can train sensibly. Rest days are also important.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you're only running 1 day a week, you'd do better to try 3 days a week for a while, then add a day and run 4 days a week for a few weeks, then add a day, etc. Going from 3 miles a week to 21 without building up gradually is definitely a recipe for injury.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! Nevermind I won't do it. Still would love to add friends who are beginning to run, who are encouraging.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you want to do a newbie runner “challenge,” I would recommend starting C25K. I would definitely not recommend consecutive running days for a newbie.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! Nevermind I won't do it. Still would love to add friends who are beginning to run, who are encouraging.

Just sent you a friend request.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

I will tag you in the c25k board where several are tracking progress. I findvthe thread very encouraging for new runners.
  • naynerrn
    naynerrn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’ve been running for a few years and still don’t go every day. I try to get some form of exercise 3-4 times a week. Look into some strength training exercises as that does help with the running
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    What they all said. 3 miles a day every day is a lot. C25k is a great starter program. I'd been lazy for years, so when I restarted running, I began with that. I've worked my way through that, then 5k to 10k, and am now training for my first half marathon. Ramp up slowly and find a good program (I like the ones on Nike Run Club).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    There is a "Monthly Running Challenge" thread under the "Challenges" sub-forum that you might be interested in. There are participants of all levels from beginners running less than 20 miles per month to seasoned veterans who run 100+. Everyone sets their own monthly goal and there is no judgement. It is a great way to stay motivated with other runners as well as a very good source of information. It's a very active thread, though, so it can sometimes be tough to keep up, but I definitely recommend checking it out, especially if you are just getting into running.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

Just sent you a friend request.

Me too! I'm a runner and love supporting other runners.