Low Calorie, Cheap Lunches

Options
Hi All- I think my biggest hurdle to losing weight is the fact that I eat SO many calories in my lunch break at 11:30, but I’m usually up till 11-midnight. I have such a hard time fighting the urge to eat higher density foods later in the day. I’m hoping to find recipes/meal ideas that are low calories, but will still fill me up/not break the bank. And I’m sorry, but salads just don’t do it for me. I end up feeling unsatisfied and I sometimes binge eat after. I’m looking more for sandwiches/pastas. Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It takes some time and planning, but buy in bulk,and/or sales, and meal prep. There are more websites then you can image that have low calorie recipes, and are economical. Just use GOOGLE for looking up sites with low calorie recipes. The food world is at your fingertips.
  • liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i love pesto pasta with kale and chicken pieces :) I use aldi's pesto and they do/used to do bags of frozen kale you could microwave which was handy :) I am unsure of the calories but as long as the portion size was right, maybe team it with another portion of veggies or a salad. I know you've said they dont fill you up but as a side it could be a nice addition :)
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Skinny taste.com has great low calorie options and not too expensive! and budgetbytes.com has lots of meal prep and lunch recipes that list the grocery price per meal.
  • mandymdavis521
    mandymdavis521 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of chicken salad on Sunday. Chili lime seasoning on chicken breast in the air fryer or oven, shred it up then use 0% Greek yogurt instead of mayo and have it with half an avocado. Very filling.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisines and Healthy Choices go on sale here (NC) for 4/5 for $10 often.

Chicken breast = $1.99 lb; grill (Foreman), bake, etc. and reheat

Peppers are relatively cheap - pick your favorite from the store and bake/airfry

Green Giant boxed steamable veggies are often 10/$10
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    It takes some time and planning, but buy in bulk,and/or sales, and meal prep. There are more websites then you can image that have low calorie recipes, and are economical. Just use GOOGLE for looking up sites with low calorie recipes. The food world is at your fingertips.

This right here ^^
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Shiritaki pasta is great low calorie bulk, but unfortunately it isn't as cheap as you'd probably like. Figuring $1/serving, you can have that as your base, and I make Ratatouille with a little Italian chicken sausage for flavor and I can get a very filling meal for under 200 calories. When the season is at it's peak, Eggplant, squash and zucchini can be very cheap.

Also, keep an eye out for deals on chicken/turkey/pork. Tis the season for grilling, so local supermarkets regularly have sales. Even better is if you have a local meat processor. Many times you can buy more inexpensively from them than shopping at a grocery store, and get better quality meats as well.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    How 'bout soup and a small bread roll? A lot of soups are low calorie, but since they come in a big bowl and take time to eat, they can be quite satisfying.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    How 'bout soup and a small bread roll? A lot of soups are low calorie, but since they come in a big bowl and take time to eat, they can be quite satisfying.

Absolutely - make some lovely soup, I usually put lentils or pearl barley in it to make it a bit more filling.
    Try having oatcakes with it.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Another vote for soup. I am enjoying homemade minestrone this week. Packed with veggies and beans. Quick to make and cheap, and I don't have to think about what to bring for lunch for a few days.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I made sausage and lentil stew with carrots, tinned tomato, onion and kale. Cheap. I also did a one sheet chicken breast, cauliflower, and broccoli dish with satay sauce made with almond butter, chili, and soy. Wholemeal pasta with tuna, lemon, corgette, half fat creme fraiche, seasoning. Lentil, sweet potato, curry soup. Big pot of chicken curry. Black bean chili. All just found through googling.
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    diced sweet potato with red lentils and canned fire roasted tomatoes. Add turmeric and cumin, a few dried coconut chips or canned pineapple if you are feeling adventurous. Not expensive, gets all your macros in and satisfies desert urges too.
  • jessiedawn8400
    jessiedawn8400 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I usually buy a rotisserie chicken and cut it up and freeze it in weighed portions. I will use it in wraps with veggies, with frozen veggies and rice, on a salad, or in a chicken noodle soup. It's cheap and will usually get me through week or week and a half of lunches.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! I see that you are looking for specific suggestions.

Here's a cheap, non-salad, freezer-friendly go-to of mine: https://www.skinnytaste.com/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole/ (double the paprika [try to get Hungarian sweet paprika if you can] and thyme, omit the cheese, save chopping time by using shred function on food processor for cabbage and onion).

You can make a tuna melt un-boring with a fancy aioli flavour (like mango habanero!), with a side of whatever vegetables are on sale/in season, maybe snap peas and fresh grape tomatoes!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have tuna and mayo with crackers. Sometimes if I want a sandwich I buy the 35 calorie bread and put it on that toasted. I have eaten this very, very often over the last 4 months for lunch, almost everyday!

2 packs Starkist chunk light tuna in water - 140 cals
    1 serving Ritz Crisp and Thins - 130 calories
    1 serving Kraft olive oil mayo - 50 cals
    Total: 320 cals
  • ekboh
    ekboh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Eggs!! Super cheap and lots of protein so it will keep you feeling full longer. I have been trying for low carb, so I have a lunch that I pack myself of 2 hard boiled eggs, some snack meat (like turkey sticks, salami, whatever is on sale), and cheese. Tuna or beans are great cheap options for high protein as well.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    18oz can of Progresso chicken noodle soup. Two servings, 180 calories.