Calling all petite ladies! Which works better? Eating exercise calories or not?

Options
Im at 4'11 and I have a healthy appetite.
I need to up my workouts to burn off Calories and Im thinking for petites like us, is it better to eat exercise calories back or not?

Replies

• Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response and for sharing this! Will definitely take note of this and observe my progress with this!❤
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm five feet tall and I definitely use exercise calories for eating. I make sure I have a deficit every day - around 800 - 1000 calories regardless of how much I've eaten, but the deficit usually comes from exercise calories - a chunk of which I have eaten :) I've been able to lose 25-26kg so far this year, mostly through additional exercise and being careful what I eat.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Mitzigan94 wrote: »
    I'm five feet tall and I definitely use exercise calories for eating. I make sure I have a deficit every day - around 800 - 1000 calories regardless of how much I've eaten, but the deficit usually comes from exercise calories - a chunk of which I have eaten :) I've been able to lose 25-26kg so far this week, mostly through additional exercise and being careful what I eat.

Thats sounds great! I might need to stick with 1000 kcals too since Im at 4'11.5 ft though!

Oh man. I meant this YEAR not this week!!! Eek :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 and exercise just so that I can eat more. While losing I hated being restricted to 1200 calories and now that I am in maintenance I love eating around 2000 instead of 1500 calories. It allows room for more treats and makes it more sustainable for me.
    Also, you should always aim for a net intake of 1200 calories as a minimum, even if you are short. This is the smallest amount of food you need to meet basic requirements and eating less is unhealthy long term. To reinforce what the wise owl @middlehaitch said, eating at least this amount will not compromise your NEAT as it will give you enough energy to perform your day to day tasks. It will also sufficiently fuel your workouts.
  • Rayvis1014
    Rayvis1014 Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I've heard so much back and forth on accuracy of the fitbit, so I made a spreadsheet which tracks my calories, TDEE (taken from my fitbit), and my weight. This shows me that it's pretty accurate for ME. Therefore, I do eat my exercise calories and keep an eye on the scale, then adjust as needed. There are times when I eat less, sometimes because I'm not hungry, sometimes because eating that much is a mental battle. I'm 5'2 and 130 lbs and sometimes can eat as much as 2500 to maintain, but I'm pretty active. When I'm losing (which is right now), I eat 1500-1800.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories.

I have used both a TDEE (not logging exercise, as it's included)

and NEAT from MFP. It's obvious you have to eat them, otherwise, you'd be way under on calories all the time.

If you don't want to log exercise, you can go to a TDEE calculator and use that and manually set your goal. It will always be included.

I am always hungrier on workout days, so I prefer to use NEAT and use my extra calories when I work out, but avoid those extra on days that I do not. Logging and eating my exercise calories allows that.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I ate them back, I needed them or I'd have felt hangry/fatigued. It didn't hinder my progress and its how MFP works, they are meant to be eaten back. I see it as a bonus: when you move more you get to eat more :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • 88142855mfp
    88142855mfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sometimes, eating less calories than your recommended in a day doesn't always equal healthy weight loss. i recommend eating different amounts (healthy amounts) to see what works for you. i eat 1200 a day to maintain my weight after recovering from my eating disorder. and i want to lose weight healthily now, and i cannot go under what i currently eat because it would be unhealthy. working out and burning off calories instead of cutting works best for some! so just eat whatever amount is healthy and allows you to lose weight, but if your like me, exercise is the answer.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    sometimes, eating less calories than your recommended in a day doesn't always equal healthy weight loss. i recommend eating different amounts (healthy amounts) to see what works for you. i eat 1200 a day to maintain my weight after recovering from my eating disorder. and i want to lose weight healthily now, and i cannot go under what i currently eat because it would be unhealthy. working out and burning off calories instead of cutting works best for some! so just eat whatever amount is healthy and allows you to lose weight, but if your like me, exercise is the answer.

Are you eating any of your exercise calories back? Only 1200 cal/day, plus exercising but not eating those "earned" calories wouldn't be enough, I'd have thought 😕