Swimming?

Options
So I've always heard that swimming "isn't enough" to burn calories and get fit. BUT... My 11yo son has been on competitive teams since he was barely 6 and, well, he can pick me up... I've just started in the last few months. I'm not a great swimmers, still learning strokes, but it sure FEELS like a workout...

Anyone had success with swimming as your main exercise?

Replies

• rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I started swimming competitively as a 5 year old - now at 32 it’s part of my exercise regimen. After being a swimmer for 27 years I guess I can say it’s the thing I’ve done the longest in my life - and I’ve never ever heard anyone say it’s a bad exercise for burning calories and getting fit. Now, limiting caloric intake is what help you lose weight and lifting weights and strength training will do wonders for your physique, but from a purely cardio and “in-shape” perspective swimming is about as great as it gets! It’s easy on the body, can be a way to stay cool during the hot summers, does wonders for your tan, and is an upper body, lower body, and cardio workout. It’s great!
  • mike_rom
    mike_rom Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you heard that... but it's wrong. Swimming is FANTASTIC exercise. Some of the best, IMO. Get at it! :)
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to swin 3x a week to prepare for a triathlon. I am not the greatest swimmer either and although it wasn't my "main" workout, it definitely still counts as a workout.

How many fat unfit Olympic swimmers have you seen?

Once you start getting more fit and losing weight, you will probly want to add something else for a workout anyway. I found a mix of different routines kept me motivated and kept me from getting stuck in a routine or getting bored.

Plus, the few minutes in the hot pool after a swim was a nice bonus.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear that? Probably from non-swimmers is my guess. Swimming uses all of your big muscles. It’s a great cardio workout, especially if your body can’t take the impact of land workouts. Give it a few months and judge for yourself.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I believe what you mean is swimming isn’t a body weight exercise. It is still a great way to burn calories- but some body weight exercises are also helpful to strengthen bone structure almond other things!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    amac1072 wrote: »
    So I've always heard that swimming "isn't enough" to burn calories and get fit. BUT... My 11yo son has been on competitive teams since he was barely 6 and, well, he can pick me up... I've just started in the last few months. I'm not a great swimmers, still learning strokes, but it sure FEELS like a workout...

Swimming served me well as one of my maintenance workouts.
    • Breaststroke mainly, only with an adjusted technique (777Gemma888 recommended for me), with a different push-off point.
    • Freestyle sometimes
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    amac1072 wrote: »

Swimming is one of the best overall exercises you can do. It works all the major muscle groups at the same time it burns calories.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great. The part I like best is you build more long, lean muscles than weight lifting (generally). More like yoga muscles. Kinda.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Count me in as one of those who has never heard that swimming "isn't enough for burning calories", including from non-swimmers. I mean I suppose splashing in the water as if it was a wading pool wouldn't burn many calories, but otherwise I'm very curious as to where you've heard this not enough calories thing.