Type of weights

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
Which is better... weight machines or free weights?

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Seems like a vague question just chalk full of opinions & too many ifs & buts to answer even with a generalized statement...
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Seems like a vague, highly opinionated question just chalk full of opinions & too many ifs & buts to answer even with a generalized statement...

yep.

short answer (imho) .... it depends.

I think (I know) that I get a much better workout with free weights.
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Seems like a vague, highly opinionated question just chalk full of opinions & too many ifs & buts to answer even with a generalized statement...

I agree too general of a question. Not knowing your goals, experience, equipment available, current fitness, amount of coordination....etc makes that impossible to answer. Not to mention the hundreds of training philosophies, methods, opinions, protocols, and other variables that come with each of those two broad types of resistance training equipment categories
  • Keto_Vampire
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

yep.

Clearly, cables FTW...trolling
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    In my home gym, I have free weights (about 800 lbs of cast iron weight plates and pairs of dumbbells from 5 to 70 lbs) and several barbells, and a cable machine. Each has its purpose in my gym.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    free weight are better most circumstances. One situation when machines are better if injuries or lack of mobility prevent you from using free weights.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    I just started strength training and my gym has a variety of leg and arm machines, but they also have plenty of free weights. I honestly don't know exactly what my goals are beyond just getting some muscle tone because I am in my 50s and want to get in shape. I see people using both and just wanted some opinions.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I will be soon approaching my 50s, and I'd like to share with you some of the youtube channels that I follow and like:

Athlean-X:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0TLA0EsQbE-MjuHXevj2A

Gravity Transformation:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0CRYvGlWGlsGxBNgvkUbAg

Jeremy Ethier:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCERm5yFZ1SptUEU4wZ2vJvw

Tone and Tighten:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJASBOyF4Fkd26SIwRhLuZw
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    dmanakho wrote: »
    free weight are better most circumstances. One situation when machines are better if injuries or lack of mobility prevent you from using free weights.

What about leg press, leg extensions and leg curls, lat pulldowns, tricep extensions and seated cable rows? No way to do those with free weights, yet valuable exercises to add to squats, deadlifts and lunges, bench press and military press among others. The best answer so far was ketovampire's first one. Both machines and free weights have their place. It's not an either/ or. It's all about programming for your goals.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options

yep.

You're not just trolling, I've seen your workouts. You live at the cables.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Options

yep.

True, I do like/prefer cables if possible...good combination of requiring stabilizer muscles, having free range of motion/good ROM, & constant tension. Main disadvantage of cables being lack of support (things tend to fall apart once weights exceed bodyweight) & can't load as much as barbell lifts
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    Which is better... weight machines or free weights?

It's not really an either or, there are some exercises (like lat pulldowns & cable crosssovers) that can only be done with machines and others where you can perform more-or-less the same exercise on either.

There are those that would tell you that free weights are better inasmuch as you're engaging smaller stabilizer muscles (true) and there are some exercises, like squats, that the machine version imposes unnatural limits to your range of motion.

On the other hand, if you're bench pressing and don't have a spotter you're not going to drop a bar on your throat with a machine.

Long story short, pick what works for you; the important thing is that you're working out.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

yep.

True, I do like/prefer cables if possible...good combination of requiring stabilizer muscles, having free range of motion/good ROM, & constant tension. Main disadvantage of cables being lack of support (things tend to fall apart once weights exceed bodyweight) & can't load as much as barbell lifts

cables may not specifically be free weights..... but I'm sure that they would carpool together.

I'll superset between free weights and cables all the time.

yeah, they're both great.

machines have their place too, for me... it's working around injuries.

• tmbg1
    Options
    Very helpful thanks! Today I did some of both. I'm so excited to be off the couch!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Very helpful thanks! Today I did some of both. I'm so excited to be off the couch!

Are you using a proven program (highly suggested)?
  • Motorsheen
    Options

nice.

keep up the good work.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Better for what?
  • Keto_Vampire
    Options

yep.

cables may not specifically be free weights..... but I'm sure that they would carpool together.

I'll superset between free weights and cables all the time.

yeah, they're both great.

machines have their place too, for me... it's working around injuries.

Yeah, plenty like free weights requiring stabilizers when using no attachments for cables or doing unilateral movements using a d-handle, rope, etc. Not so much doing bilateral movements
  • tmbg1
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Are you using a proven program (highly suggested)?

No but I made an appointment with the trainer to get some guidance.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Better for what?

Better for getting some muscle tone and for general fitness.