Last 10 lbs, how to stay motivated?

Options
This might be an old topic but the search function may have failed me on MFP.

I started my weight loss/fitness journey with both MFP and P90x with not a huge amount of pounds to lose but with a serious need for toning and definition.

I feel like I've accomplished a lot so far! I can definitely see I trimmed up and can even do 1-3 pull-ups now in a row! (I had ZERO arm strength before!)

But to be honest, my ultimate goal, the way I want to look seems just impossibly far away. How do you all stay motivated when you're left to obsess over small changes v. those who have a lot to lose. Its actually almost discouraging to me to see the dramatic before and afters; I don't think anyone has even noticed that I've lost an lb!

I think I'm doing the right stuff. I put forth a ton of effort when I work out and although my diet may not be pristine I rarely go over my calories and always consume high protein v. carbs. I'm kind of frustrated, I absolutely obsess over this whole calorie counting thing and working out for an hour or more a day just so I can lose an inch after a few weeks...is it really worth it? Ugh!

So how do YOU stay motivated at the end?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    just keep going...it sucks but its all you can do with out going backwards

maybe try a new routine or eating plan (zig-zagging) to give you something new to focus on.

also, as i get closer to my goal the pounds come off slower and slower (i'm the SAME weight i was on Jan 1...arg!) so i'm focusing on body fat (34% in jan, 26% in Aug), measurements, and strength...maybe this will work for you

good luck! i've got 12 lbs to go---lets support one another!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! I have anywhere from 5-7 lbs left and it's getting old.

Lose .5-1 lbs then gain it back - I've been fluctuating for weeks now. BLAH!!!
  • kjphipps
    kjphipps Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree with Aggiecass09... change up your workouts... eat a little differently and make sure you are doing the water. The last few lbs is the hardest.. I know I am there with you . I am changing my workout routine almost weekly to see if it will change and work. I am 10lbs from where I wnat to be.. very hard for me....
    Just stay focused on your goal... I would really change your workout!!!! I think that is the key. I am trying it ..stay in touch and lets see if it works....
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Girl.., I’m so with you on this. I asked a friend the other day if she thought I lost any weight or look toner. (I run & P90X too.) My point is…, I HAD TO ASK! She changed to diet Pepsi & lost 10 noticeable pounds! WTFreak?!? I just keep at it, I’m really not sure what keeps me going, but I do. Maybe it’s this site & other like me. IDK. I guess I just look at food differently. It’s now, “how long do I have to run to get rid of that?” Do you do that too? ARG!!!
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options

maybe try a new routine or eating plan (zig-zagging) to give you something new to focus on.

also, as i get closer to my goal the pounds come off slower and slower (i'm the SAME weight i was on Jan 1...arg!) so i'm focusing on body fat (34% in jan, 26% in Aug), measurements, and strength...maybe this will work for you

Zig-zagging may be a good idea...is there a way to factor that in to MFP somehow?? I've been keeping track of my BF% is supposedly at ~20% according to calipers...I'm getting there, its just so freakin' slow!
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    BUMP!!! I have anywhere from 5-7 lbs left and it's getting old.

Lose .5-1 lbs then gain it back - I've been fluctuating for weeks now. BLAH!!!

The fluctuations are brutal, one bad day on a weekend and I'm up 3 lbs...ugh!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Body composition (body fat%)
    Strength gains
    Food experimentation

I have, technically, 10-20 lbs to go, but at this point, I'm just not worried about the weight. Yes, seeing a loss is still enough to make me go giddy for a few minutes, but really... it's the gains I make lifting weights and watching my BF% drop.
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i have been struggling with this and haven't found an answer yet. let me know when you do!
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    I agree with Aggiecass09... change up your workouts... eat a little differently and make sure you are doing the water. The last few lbs is the hardest.. I know I am there with you . I am changing my workout routine almost weekly to see if it will change and work. I am 10lbs from where I wnat to be.. very hard for me....
    Just stay focused on your goal... I would really change your workout!!!! I think that is the key. I am trying it ..stay in touch and lets see if it works....

I started P90+ after P90x so the workouts are different! Hopefully that change will help...hang in there yourself! I was thinking of doing doubles (working out twice a day for 3-4 days a week) and that may be what I need to do, we shall see!
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    Girl.., I’m so with you on this. I asked a friend the other day if she thought I lost any weight or look toner. (I run & P90X too.) My point is…, I HAD TO ASK! She changed to diet Pepsi & lost 10 noticeable pounds! WTFreak?!? I just keep at it, I’m really not sure what keeps me going, but I do. Maybe it’s this site & other like me. IDK. I guess I just look at food differently. It’s now, “how long do I have to run to get rid of that?” Do you do that too? ARG!!!

I do actually! I ate a cupcake yesterday, it was SO delicious but I kind of wanted to cry inside...haha!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm, well I just finished my last 10 (only had 20-25 to begin) I think when you get as close as you are, it is about setting your goals to 1/2 pound loss per week, being as accurate as you seem to be with caloires and exercise, so that is good!

But its in the mind for sure....hanging tough, but at the same time learning to relax the perfection standards in a way. Gotta become comfortable with the body you have. Perfection whatever THAT is, really isn't the true goal. Loving yourself and eating/exercising in a sustainable way is what this is about.

Don't know if I've explained my perspective well enough?! But, best of luck!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

Zig-zagging may be a good idea...is there a way to factor that in to MFP somehow?? I've been keeping track of my BF% is supposedly at ~20% according to calipers...I'm getting there, its just so freakin' slow!

read my blogs on this....(see my profile about me page)....i'm the self declared queen ;-)
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I look back at how far I've come....how hard it was to get to this point. The last few pounds are hard...i've been teetering with the same weight loss for the past few months, but trying to keep my focus on my ultimate goal, while continuing to tone.

Think of how hard you've worked and how easy, unfortunately, it is to slide backwards.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    There is no end!

Once you reach you ideal goal you have to maintain it, so don't view your target weight as the end because then what?

The end is really the start, the start of maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It has definately been TOUGH for me! Having a LOT to lose was very motivating, but now that I'm less than 10 pounds from my goal weight and actually already in a healthy weight range, it's tough to stay motivated to keep losing some days.

Most of the time, I feel as if I'm eating to maintain, not to lose, and I'm actually okay with that. For me, the last 10 are coming off very slowly, but it's only because I'm just not trying as hard as I used to try. I'm okay losing this last bit very slowly. :happy:

I just have to ask myself how committed I am to losing the last few pounds.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed looking at your diary is that you really don't eat a lot of fruit and veggies. Maybe try snacking on them instead of some of the other stuff. Thats what I have been doing this week and I have dropped about 3 pounds.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    While my goal is to lose weight, ultimately it's to be in better shape. I won't be stopping at my goal weight. In fact I enjoy the exercise for its own sake. Every week I push a little further, I can do a little more. I look back at my logs when I started and see I was doing a solid 15 minutes on the elliptical. Now I can do two hours. My goal there was 45 minutes. I passed it and waved bye bye. Same goes for most other exercises. Weight was what started it, now I'm looking at body fat for my next target.

So I suppose it's more about the feeling of progress and success than it is about reaching any one goal. I love to be the guy in the gym that went from "at least he's trying." to Oh my f-ing god is that even possible?"

If I really need motivation I spend a few minutes looking at the profile pictures of some of the amazing, inspirational and truly hot ladies on my friends list. I know which I'd prefer they think when they see me and I know how to get there.
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    Its motivation in itself to see others are going through the same thing at least and that I'm not crazy (although I wouldn't wish it on you!) And thanks for the advice, :)
  • writer123
    writer123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also "plateaued" with ten pounds to go. Here are some of the suggestions I found when searching for help:

- INCREASE your daily calories, even just by 100. (your body may be in "starvation mode" and holding on to every calorie)
    - INCREASE your daily activity, even if that's just adding a walk after dinner.
    - GET MORE/BETTER sleep, aiming for 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
    - REDUCE stress. Stress causes a release of hormones in your body thought to contribute to weight gain.
    - CLEAN UP your eating, adding more fibre (fruit/vegetables) and reducing empty calories.

I've finally lost another three pounds using some of these strategies. Hope that helps!
  • fernden1
    Options
    Good ideas. Thanks