What's the hurry?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Is it do able to lose 14lbs in 6 weeks?
    I weigh 178lbs and would like more than 14lbs but 14lbs + is my goal
    What been youbweight loss in 6 weeks
    Thanks

You do know that 12 lbs in 6 weeks is the maximum safe rate of loss - and that's for someone who's morbidly obese?

You should probably be aiming at more like 1 lb per week...
  • higginbr
    higginbr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not sure in 6weeks but in 7wks I've lost 14.5505lbs
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    (Just to add; you often lose more than that in the first week, because your body reacts to food restriction by getting rid of a load of water weight. But this isn't genuine fat loss, and will catch up with you as a slow week or two later on)
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi OP - it is do-able, perhaps not adviseable. Essentially the less calories you consume, the more focus there has to be on the nutritional content of said calories because you are looking to be as healthy as possible while restricting what you eat and drink. The good news is, above ground veggies are naturally low in calories as are quite a few fruits. Wholegrains, protein and fats need to be added on top :) Calories with little/no nutritional value are booze and sugar despite them being yummy :)

Good luck with your choices OP !
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    doable VS healthy/safe are two different things.

it also REALLY depends how overweight one is. if someone is very obese they may be able to do so more or less safety. the more one has to lose the more quickly they can safely lose. but even there 2lb/week is the most recommended usually unless supervised by a doctor. If you are slightly over weight or withing healthy weight range then 1lb/week or 0.5lb/week is recommended

I lost a heck of a lot more in the 6 weeks while I was at 200+lbs (up to 1.5+lbs/week). but i am now in the middle of the healthy weight range (112.5lbs) so in the last 6 weeks I lost maybe 1-2lbs.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    In the last 6 weeks I lost 5 pounds, as planned. I'm obese, but even I would not attempt 2+ lbs a week because it's an unsustainable overkill even for an obese person like me, and unhealthy for someone your weight.

To lose 14 lbs in 6 weeks you need a deficit of more than 1500 calories daily. For someone your weight, it would put you in the extreme VLC diet category (think eating less than 500 net calories), which is only appropriate in very limited situations and even then, because it's the lesser of two evils.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I lost about 7.5 lbs the first 6 weeks and I had about 100 lbs to lose at that point. That was at 1200 calories per day. What I've learned over this journey is that losing weight and keeping it off is about finding what you can live with forever. Losing fast sometimes just sets you up for failure because you can't stick with it for long. We have all set goals for that reunion or wedding that are unrealistic out of desperation but I can tell you that for myself it never worked. Despite telling myself I would be reasonable after the event and learn to manage my weight once I was thinner it never happened. I finally lost the weight and kept it off when I changed my lifestyle permanenetly. So what it boils down to is can you live with this for life? If the answer is no then you are not likely to succeed. Take your time and get to a healthy weight slowly so that you can maintain and never ever have to go through this again.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    No idea how much weight I shed in my first 6 weeks, because that doesn't matter. I've lost 34 pounds in about 39 weeks and that's good enough for me. I'd rather do it sustainably than quickly.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You can lost 14 pounds of fat in 6 weeks if you weigh over 300 pounds and you can sustain it. At your weight can lose about 6 pounds of fat in that amount of time.
  • Rayvis1014
    Rayvis1014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think it's too stressful and frustrating to set a weight goal. I've done that in the past and often been disappointed. My goal this time for my first three weeks back on MFP was just log my meals and do some form of exercise daily for three weeks. I knew that I would feel better and look better no matter what I lost, and that I wouldn't want to cry every time I got on the scale. I just met my 3-week goal and lost 5 lbs., which I'm happy with. In the past I would have set a goal to lose 10 lbs. or more in that time frame, and then been disappointed. When I set a specific weight loss amount for a prescribed period of time, it's a stressful battle with my scale. Instead I focus on what I CAN control, which is accurate logging and increasing my TDEE with more activity.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you want to starve yourself. Realistically no you cannot do so in a healthy manner.