Difference between mL and grams

Options
On my food scale 1g = 1ml And so I measured out my cereal to ~50g thinking it was only 80 calories because when I logged it there was only mL option so I put 50mL :( I woke up so bloated having no idea why and when I rechecked entering 50g it was actually 200calories .. Whats the difference between mL and gram with cereal? And how can I measure cereal in mL if my food scale says it is the same as grams

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    christitty wrote: »
    On my food scale 1g = 1ml And so I measured out my cereal to ~50g thinking it was only 80 calories because when I logged it there was only mL option so I put 50mL :( I woke up so bloated having no idea why and when I rechecked entering 50g it was actually 200calories .. Whats the difference between mL and gram with cereal? And how can I measure cereal in mL if my food scale says it is the same as grams

You could
    (1) get a measuring cup with mL marked on it (the smaller the pieces of your cereal are, the better this will work, as larger pieces create more variability in the empty space between pieces when you're measuring by volume); or, better,
    (2) find a different database entry that is accurate and uses grams, or, better yet,
    (3) look at the label on the package that your cereal comes in. Does it list the serving size in grams? It might be in parentheses after a volume measure. Find a database entry that matches the label, or edit or create a new one that does match.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    As they said, different units of measurement. Solids should be weighed in grams, not ml (millilitres).
  • swilki84
    swilki84 Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Volume v mass - as in a ton of feathers versus a ton of lead. There will be a much bigger pile of feathers (high volume) than lead (heavy weight)
    the space 50 ml of cereal takes up will weigh a lot less than 50g

In water, 1g weighs the same as 1ml, but it's not true for pretty much anything else.

To measure it in ml would be really inaccurate unless you ground it into dust to eliminate all the air between flakes. Stick to grams for food and ml for liquids, it's a lot easier
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Milliliter is 1 1000th of a liter. A gram is 1 1000th of a kg.

Sort of like square inches and quarts. Nothing to do with each other.