Anyone experience muscle twiches?

Options
They are basically small involuntary movements of a small area in a particular muscle. Caffeine, drugs and exercise other than neuromuscular diseases (god forbid) can cause them...

I've been experiencing a visible muscle twitch in my sartorious muscle clos e to its attachment to knee.....I've had this since this afternoon......its visible and palpable!! And weird as hell!!!

Anyone else experience similar situation??

I have been pushing myself with my workouts!!!

Replies

• chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    I don't get them in the same places all the time... but sometimes my leg will just jump and or sometimes when I'm sitting or laying down my entire body will have one big twitch. Usually scares the hell out me. lol
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    IDK if its muscle twitches but ever since I had my kids I get little twitches in my lower abdomen. I get them very frequently! I never thought anything of it.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have been getting random twitching in the muscle that covers my one shoulder blade. So random.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I don't get them in the same places all the time... but sometimes my leg will just jump and or sometimes when I'm sitting or laying down my entire body will have one big twitch. Usually scares the hell out me. lol

Same.

I only started getting them in feb though after I tore and snaped ligaments in my ankle so maybe that's something to do wt it?
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My knee twitches there all the time, I call my kids in and we watch it like it is on display at the freakshow! They touch and run away screaming.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I get them in one of my calves, I always thought it was normal, I never thought anything of them. It used to be more frequent, but they've gone down a lot now. Maybe wait it out? It might just be your body adjusting?
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and potassium. You're probably deficient in both. I had the muscle twitching and RLS until I got serious about those 2.

You're body will just dump excess mag, so I take at least 400mg of that a day. Excess potassium is bad for you. I look at my potassium total every evening and base how much of that I take based on that. You don't want to take potassium on an empty stomach, it will make you SICK.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get muscle twitches all the time. Probably not a big deal, make sure you are hydrated and eat some potasium
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    They are basically small involuntary movements of a small area in a particular muscle. Caffeine, drugs and exercise other than neuromuscular diseases (god forbid) can cause them...

I've been experiencing a visible muscle twitch in my sartorious muscle clos e to its attachment to knee.....I've had this since this afternoon......its visible and palpable!! And weird as hell!!!

That is a sign of dehydration!! You need to drink water, powerade, gatorade, or get you some potassium. Also you can reduce this by stretching before and after you workout. So hydrate, eat potassium, and do a little warmup before you workout and then stretch!! And this should help
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get these sometimes in my arm, shoulder, leg, neck. I usually just give the area a good wack with a hardcover book and it immediately goes away.

Your body's nervous system is very complex and imperfect. It will do thing for no reason at all sometimes. I wouldn't look too deep into why it happens unless it becomes a serious issue.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

That is a sign of dehydration!! You need to drink water, powerade, gatorade, or get you some potassium. Also you can reduce this by stretching before and after you workout. So hydrate, eat potassium, and do a little warmup before you workout and then stretch!! And this should help

^^^THIS!
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    true true I normally get the twitching today I drank water like I was supposed to and no twitching! Thought I was just not working as hard but I knew I was :) Drink more water!
  • jenniffer86
    jenniffer86 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had that right above my knee for 2.5 days, I thought I was gonna go mad and it would never go away, I just drank more water ate a banana and drank powerade for the electrolytes, ... not sure they did anything to help, but it did go away with time. I think you just have to wait that one out.