Losing Momentum.... PLEASE HELP!!!

Options
I LOVE MFP!!! However, I find I have a hard time keeping motivated to log food, eat healthy and exercise on a regular basis. Some days it just feels like I have a mountain to climb to lose 75 pounds.

How are you guys staying motivated and consistent?
What am I missing?

Out of curiosity does interacting with people on MFP on daily basis help?

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It's all about baby steps. Focus on the mini-goals, and post your weekly progress where you can see it to remind yourself that you are moving forward. Don't buy junk food and a little planning helps avoid the rough patches and any surprises (that soup has *how* much sodium?).
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Why not just focus on 10 lbs instead of the whole 75 lbs? The big picture can seem impossible sometimes, but a short-term goal is definitely attainable in the near future. Reward yourself every so often for your hard work. Good luck!

Oh yeah, also change your ticker to indicate the number of pounds you've lost, rather than how far you have to go.
  • Angieeebabayy
    Options
    I'll admit, every once in a while I have really had a hard time keeping up with MFP on a regular basis. And you know personally, with everyone being so busy- it's not a crime to not sometimes take a few days off of MFP. You don't have to log in everyday, but the important thing is that you should at least keep going with your weight/fitness goals. Myfitness pal really is a way where you can get more motivation and document your progress. But it's not mandatory for you to sign in everyday, it just helps the journey- that's all :)

And by the way, the most important thing to do is keep persistence. It's the hardest thing sometimes, and beleive me- thinking about how much you have to go really is just like looking upon a huge mountain. But as long as you promise yourself that you will get there, suddenly the whole thing doesn't seem so unattainable. You just have to believe it.

Edit: And the others are right- mini goals really do help. Just focus on a weight ten pounds away from where you're at right now and work towards that. Once you hit that first goal, you'll feel even more motivated to move onto another goal. I've found this technique really works!
  • mrpearson253
    mrpearson253 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd say keeping the temptations out of the house was a big step for me. I've been on Weight Watchers before and that was huge...if I don't have chocolate chip cookies in the house I'm less likely to eat a bunch! And MFP's smartphone apps are great if you can snag one (they're free too!). They've even got a bar code scanner so you can just scan and plug in how much you've eaten! Of course I'm a self-professed gadget head so that's just another level for me. I'd say interacting with people on here would be a great help, as they can encourage and give pointers if you ask for advice, that type of thing. Being alone makes it harder, as you feel like there's no one around if you need help. Hang in there and keep up the counting whenever and wherever you can...every little bit towards where you want to be!
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    yeah mini-goals are totally the key. even if it's "I'll eat x grams of protein today" or "I'll do 30 min of cardio today." Thinking about the long-term goals is good, but can be intimidating. And hey, if you make it to the gym four times in a week, you've probably gone more than most Americans!

I also personally found that meeting with a personal trainer and an RD really helps - they've helped me set reasonable, attainable goals and minimized the amount of obsessive craziness I have about eating and exercising right.

Also, forgive yourself. Missed the gym today? You'll get there tomorrow. Maybe ate beyond the point where you were full at dinner? Also ok. We all do it. It's human. So don't get caught up in what goes wrong (a million things will go wrong - I have literally tossed a kettle bell across the gym while learning a new lift. Oops). Mistakes are fine. Focus on what you do right!

And YES, my MFP friends are great. I've had so many accomplishments - big and small - that they've given me online pats on the back for. Every little piece of encouragement helps!

Good luck - you'll be great!
  • elsa11170
    elsa11170 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's soooo hard to get motivated. It takes me forever but once I focus and start logging what I've been eating for a few days I can't stop because then I feel like I've failed. Plus I know what it feels like to be at my weight goal and I want to get back to that. I don't check my weight every day either because that gets discouraging! The days I don't feel like exercising my husband usually reminds me how much better I will feel after I do, I usually complain the entire hour and usually text him telling him how much I'm hating it but he gets me through it. I also like the extra calories I can consume after exercise!! :)... If you don't have anyone to help you get on here and post your frustrations and we will all be here to motivate you! You can add me as a friend if you'd like :)
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i think most of use have been or are where you are. I've lost 90lbs and it has taken me 16 months to do it. I still have 10 lbs to go, but you have to do it in increments. 5 lbs and sometimes 1 lb at a time. One day at a time. One dress size at a time. Each loss and reduction is its own victory/milestone. Whatever you do, don't stop trying!!! And don't expect this to be done in 3 months!!! This is a new lifestyle you are creating.
    I find the support on MFP to be encouraging and motivating. I like the "friends" I have selected (and who have selected me)...we all encourage one another, give advice, and just keep each other motivated and accountable.
    If you need more support, feel free to friend me. I totally get where you are, believe me, but you can accomplish any goal you set your mind and heart to...the body will eventually catch up.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    logging in the food diary during the week is fine for me cuz I do most of it while I'm at work. The weekends...not so much. I think I stay motivated by reading other peoples accomplishments. As you can see since I've joined I've only lost 1 pound but since last month I've lost 7. So seeing whatever the weight loss helps and reminds me that whatever it is that I'm doing I need to keep doing it cuz losing weight is like a lifestyle. So I see you've lost 5 pounds already (good job by the way) so maybe you should think about what it was that you did to do that and keep doing it everyday. Yes it's gonna be hard but you have to believe you can do it. Alot of people forget that they didn't gain weight over night so you can't expect to lose a bunch of weight overnight.