The Solution to Chocolate Cravings

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
I found it. Its McCain's Deep and Delicious Chocolate Cake. The only cake to taste like air and ice somehow had a cake baby. The only food to taste like cold. It's the Lacroix of cake. Like someone thought about chocolate while making it instead of adding any. It has completely killed any desire I have to eat more cake.

All jokes aside, I would kill someone if I could eat an entire bag of Lindor chocolates right now.

How do you deal?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oh did you eat it straight from the freezer? It's best if you let it sit out for 20-30 min until it's no longer cold. I like it especially with vanilla ice cream. :)
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    At first i thought you were hyping it up and then I thought - the Lacroix of cake? Well the describes perfectly something I would never want to eat... and yet some people like Lacroix so i still believed you were being earnest until I read all the way to the end...good to know, I won’t try that stuff.

Ummm I guess I just have a 200-300 bit of chocolate and accept that is good enough.

My wife and I really like the So Delicious Brand Dark Chocolate Mousse ice cream. It’s cashew based and way better than Halo Top and other non-dairy based ice cream alternatives. Their coconut milk products are too coconutty and I do not like coconut so I recommend passing on those. It’s about 75% of the calories of Hagen Das ice cream (we know because we did the math) so while a less calorie option there is still enough sugar and other good stuff that it tastes good and not like some funky diet ice cream.
  • Terytha
    Options
    The solution to any food problem is a smaller amount of said food. Steer into the skid! Have a little ice cream, have a little chocolate. Portion it out, and it's worth it. Just don't have a milkshake. Ever see the calories on those things? Geez.

Not worse than the calories in the cheesecake I had last week. 1600 for one slice! Yikes.

My chocolate cravings have always been off the wall crazy. I've been keeping it down by eating a little every day, but I used to eat an entire bag of Lindor and reducing the amount I eat is not reducing my cravings.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    The solution to any food problem is a smaller amount of said food. Steer into the skid! Have a little ice cream, have a little chocolate. Portion it out, and it's worth it. Just don't have a milkshake. Ever see the calories on those things? Geez.

Not worse than the calories in the cheesecake I had last week. 1600 for one slice! Yikes.

My chocolate cravings have always been off the wall crazy. I've been keeping it down by eating a little every day, but I used to eat an entire bag of Lindor and reducing the amount I eat is not reducing my cravings.

I'm so with you on that. I used to eat 1/2 bag of fun size snickers and 1/2 bag of fun size milky way (I *still* have a hard time eating just one or the other...it has to be both) in one sitting.

I never really had cravings, tho, because I didn't think about it. I always liked the taste so just always ate it. I never not ate it.

If that makes sense. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Have you tried thinking of it in terms of how much other food you could have for the calories in that bag? I have transitioned to really enjoying the completely full feeling and so now, in limited situations, if I am considering something relatively small for a high number of calories it makes it less desirable. I would have seen the price tag of that cheesecake, again no judgment, and been thinking of all the giant bowls of food I could eat or even eating an entire pizza. Anyway that is another tool in my belt. It helps me sometimes. It may not help anyone else.

I am curious. Did that slice of cheesecake taste 1600 calories worth of good? I don't have a frame of reference because I am not a sweets person. I find cheesecake too rich to eat more than a couple of bites.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Have you tried thinking of it in terms of how much other food you could have for the calories in that bag? I have transitioned to really enjoying the completely full feeling and so now, in limited situations, if I am considering something relatively small for a high number of calories it makes it less desirable. I would have seen the price tag of that cheesecake, again no judgment, and been thinking of all the giant bowls of food I could eat or even eating an entire pizza. Anyway that is another tool in my belt. It helps me sometimes. It may not help anyone else.

I am curious. Did that slice of cheesecake taste 1600 calories worth of good? I don't have a frame of reference because I am not a sweets person. I find cheesecake too rich to eat more than a couple of bites.

I'm also very curious what would make a slice of cheesecake 1600 calories. Cream cheese doesn't even have that calorie density. Like it would have to be a honkin slice of cake! Or the crust would have to be really thick

The best cheesecake I've made has actually unintentionally been a less rich version. I whipped cream and folded it into the cheesecake base. Much more pleasant texture, just as rich.

• NovusDies
    Options

I'm also very curious what would make a slice of cheesecake 1600 calories. Cream cheese doesn't even have that calorie density. Like it would have to be a honkin slice of cake! Or the crust would have to be really thick

The best cheesecake I've made has actually unintentionally been a less rich version. I whipped cream and folded it into the cheesecake base. Much more pleasant texture, just as rich.

Wouldn't it just need a lot more fat content? Isn't fat the most calorie dense substance at 9 calories per gram?

It would still have to be a large piece I think. A quick bit of math says that even if the entire piece were made of nothing but fat it would have to weight over 6 ounces (about 178 grams).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    For long term success, learning to moderate all foods that you love would be beneficial. So, learning portion sizes and moderation of all foods.

BTW, Cheesecake Factory’s cheesecake has a lot of calories. I don’t doubt OP’s figures. Depending on the flavor. When my sisters (there’s 6 of us) and I go there for lunch we get 1 piece to share. Is It worth the calories for a small taste, absolutely, 😍

I just looked it up, 1580 for their highest calorie slice, red velvet.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat Fudgesicles with no sugar added. It's around 50 calories and hits the spot.

I am a huge chocoholic. I have found that my taste buds have changed the longer I stick with it. Last weekend I was camping and splurged on a regular size candy bar. I actually got nauseous from it like I used to get from a bag of Hershey's kisses. I was glad that happened. I counted it as a victory.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Calorie dense foods easily get to 5 calories per gram. 1600/5 =320 grams. Not that big a slice, actually.
  • Terytha
    Options
    We went to the Cheesecake Cafe which I think is similar to the American Cheesecake Factory. It was a pretty big piece, topped with a thick layer of buttercream frosting and several cookies. It was way too rich to eat all in one go, but later that night I had a craving and ate the rest of it.

It was. So. Good. Oh man. So worth it. And since it's dense, I was feeling pretty full after just half. I won't do it again any time soon because, woof. But it has sure fired up my cake cravings.

I must confess: I hate icecream and other such frozen treats like popsicles. I always have. I also don't like cheap chocolate bars much.

I just love high quality chocolates and cake that actually tastes like cake.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    We went to the Cheesecake Cafe which I think is similar to the American Cheesecake Factory. It was a pretty big piece, topped with a thick layer of buttercream frosting and several cookies. It was way too rich to eat all in one go, but later that night I had a craving and ate the rest of it.

It was. So. Good. Oh man. So worth it. And since it's dense, I was feeling pretty full after just half. I won't do it again any time soon because, woof. But it has sure fired up my cake cravings.

I must confess: I hate icecream and other such frozen treats like popsicles. I always have. I also don't like cheap chocolate bars much.

I just love high quality chocolates and cake that actually tastes like cake.

Do you like dark chocolate? If you let it melt in your mouth a little it can be quite rich and satisfying in smaller quantities. Usually one or two Dove Dark Chocolate Promises, or a square or two of fancier brands is enough to take care of my chocolate cravings for the day.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How do I deal? If I'm going to have chocolatey goodness it has to a be restaurant dessert, like once a week or something, ideally shared with DH. I can't have it in the house because I'd never have just a little. I'd polish off that Deep & Delicious cake by myself in one sitting, so I just don't give myself the opportunity lol.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    For long term success, learning to moderate all foods that you love would be beneficial. So, learning portion sizes and moderation of all foods.

BTW, Cheesecake Factory’s cheesecake has a lot of calories. I don’t doubt OP’s figures. Depending on the flavor. When my sisters (there’s 6 of us) and I go there for lunch we get 1 piece to share. Is It worth the calories for a small taste, absolutely, 😍

I just looked it up, 1580 for their highest calorie slice, red velvet.

I didn't doubt them I just didn't know. I eat maybe 3 or 4 desserts a year and I don't like any of them to be very rich or very sweet and this was the way I was long before I was losing weight. I probably would have gotten down 400 calories of her cheesecake and then desperately eating salty stuff to get the sweetness out of my mouth.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I can't remember ever having a real craving for chocolate, maybe because I eat it frequently and always have, whether it be pie/cake/bars/ice cream/shakes....I go over my calories on occasion, but nothing severe that I can't make up for later in the week.