Low Sodium Recipes Needed

Options
meshagreenwood9
meshagreenwood9 Posts: 5 Member
My dad has heart failure and I need some good recipes before he kills himself. Nothing with salt please! Mrs. Dash isn’t cutting it.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My dad has heart failure and I need some good recipes before he kills himself. Nothing with salt please! Mrs. Dash isn’t cutting it.

What are you looking for? I eat low sodium but I do not use specifically low sodium recipes. I just do not add salt to anything except baked goods where it is essential for the right chemical reaction. I use individual herbs and spices instead of seasonings. I use a lot of flavorful veggies in things like stews (onions, garlic, radishes, etc). I buy no salt added packaged foods where I can (like canned tomatoes). I buy meat and cook and slice it for sandwich meat instead of buying high sodium sandwich meats. I cook my own black beans without salt and freeze them in 2 cup portions.

Low sodium is really a lifestyle more than a way of cooking. The best thing is to make as many things from whole foods as possible and don't add salt to anything. A peppermill filled with quality peppercorns goes a long way to substitute for salt.

Here is my chili recipe with only 134 mg of sodium per large serving:

4 cloves Garlic
    1 (12 Oz) container Tomato Paste
    1/2 cup Chili Powder, Regular
    2 Tbl ground cumin
    3 tsp Oregano, dried
    2 Tbl Worchestershire Sauce (Original)
    550 g, Onion - Yellow, Raw
    236.00 g, Peppers - Sweet, green, raw
    216.00 g, Celery - Raw
    4 container (1 4/5 cups ea.), Tomatoes Petite Diced Low Sodium
    32 oz, Sirloin Tip Roast

Cut the roast into bite size pieces. Add all ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low 8 hours. Adjust seasoning as desired.

Makes 8 servings (approx 2 cups each).

Obviously the vegetables will vary in weight and calories. This is what the edited recipe is from the last time I made it and each serving was 355 calories.

Nutrition:
    Total Fat 7 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 134 mg
    Potassium 602 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 29 g
    Dietary Fiber 5 g
    Sugars 14 g
    Protein 36 g
  • AZCattitude
    AZCattitude Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Things with acid like lemon, vinegar, etc can add flavor without adding sodium. I have also ordered salt free seasonings from Penzeys. Myspicer.com sells spices in bulk but you can order small amounts and mix your own or one of their blends. We really like their green chili powder. I have to really watch sodium because of my kidneys.