People on 1200 calories... do you eat any exercise calories back?

Options
Bioluminescentbeachh
Bioluminescentbeachh Posts: 25 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m on 1200 and also exercise for 2 hours a day. I don’t want to net under 1200 to keep my metabolism safe. After 2 hours of exercise, half of which is cardio, I safely assume I’m burning at least 700 calories a day on top of my BMR. My BMR is also very high (18 F 5’10”). However, since I’m using NEAT (MFP method) I don’t account for my higher than average BMR, only additional exercise calories. I’ve lost the amount MFP predicted doing this so far, and have been tracking all fluctuations everyday on a trending app to be sure. Has anyone else had success eating back their calories from exercise ( all of them) ? It seems to me people on the boards tend to undereat out of fear of going over their calories. If someone is exercising intensely for hours a day though isn’t it safe to assume they burn at least a few hundred calories? I also have a HRM. TIA :)

Replies

• Bioluminescentbeachh
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I believe 1200 calories to be under eating, but that's just my opinion. You assume you are burning 700 calories? Do you use a fitness tracker?
    Yes chest heart monitor and I run for 60 minutes uphill everyday. 700 is pretty accurate, maybe even a little low for that. :)

Forgot to say I am pretty heavy right now too!
  • Bioluminescentbeachh
    Options
    I just finished reading all the replies and want to thank you all. I’m going to keep eating my exercise calories. If anyone else has any experience they want to share, feel free to post!
  • Bioluminescentbeachh
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes, MFP is designed for you to eat back exercise calories since the calculations are off of NEAT. Most of us ate back the calories because that’s how the program is designed.

1200 is the lowest goal for women and not necessary or even appropriate for most. If you are 5’10 and exercise 2 hours a days I would venture to guess you are one of those for whom it is not an appropriate goal.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
    What rate of loss did you choose?
    What activity level did you select?

Too much. Kind of embarrassed to post how many lb in a public forum but I’ll just say 40+

I think I chose 2lb per week to start and plan on moving it to 1lb per week after the first month. I have maybe 50lb to lose so I want to account for the fast loss in the beginning. I’m hitting 2lb a week right now and never feel hungry or tired doing what I’m doing.

I selected sedentary since I’m in school (year round) all day and don’t do any activity at all besides my time in the gym :)

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I did 1250 for a while, and I absolutely ate back my exercise cals, because that's how MFP works (and my BMR would have been much lower than yours, OP, since I was mid 40s and 5'3). So yes, you should eat back the exercise cals. (WinoGelato and Ann always give good advice, too.)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 on mfp briefly. I absolutely ate back all my exercise calories. Even so, I lost weight more quickly than expected. I'm in maintenance now and I still eat back all my exercise calories. Since I mostly just walk or run, the calories are easy to compute. It's harder to be as accurate when doing an exercise where effort is a factor (i.e. moderate biking vs. strenuous, or calisthetics.)
  • tibby1971
    tibby1971 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    7sorok wrote: »
    I'm 4'11", 69, F and I don't eat my exercise calories back because I will never lose any weight. I'm doing 45 min of easy water aerobics and 60 min of lap swimming 3xweek and I'm on1260 cal/day 6x a week and 1800-2000 cal once a week. This regiment works for me. I can't eat more than 1260cals a day, otherwise, I'll explode. So, everybody is different and if something works for you, it might not work for somebody else.

I’m the same way. 48 and 5’2” and if I ate my exercise calories back, I wouldn’t lose but would gain it back. I did discover since getting my Apple Watch that MFP way over estimated my exercise calories burned. It gave me 500 for every spin class but depending on how intense I went during class, it varies from 300-500.

If eating your calories back works for you then eat them back 😁

• Bioluminescentbeachh
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If you’re not eating back exercise calories, then you aren’t using MFP the way it was designed. Assuming you are using a food scale to weigh all your food, then you are putting yourself at risk of undereating if you don’t eat exercise calories. This isn’t an opinion question. It is literally how the program was set up to work.

Thank you! Yes I have a fancy food scale I got at target. It’s great :#
  • Bioluminescentbeachh
    Options
    Also after reading everyone’s comments I will either manually set my calories to 1500 or lower my rate of loss to 1lb/ week <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Glad you are boosting your calories. 1200 is indeed way too low for someone who is 5'10".

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/