Chick Peas recipes

Options
JohnRuggiero1
JohnRuggiero1 Posts: 1 Member
anyone have any easy filling recipes using chick peas other than humus?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Chickpea curry, minestrone, chickpea salad sandwich.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Roast some diced eggplant, add it to drained chickpeas in a pan and heat it up with a little salsa. Delicious, filling, and low calorie.
  • saralukies
    saralukies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like Smitten Kitchen's smashed chickpea salad, which you can modify to your liking. Just roughly mash them with some sliced olives (kalamatas are good) and maybe some onion (not for me, but ymmv) and mix in some olive oil, lemon juice, and s&p. Really good, really filling.

I also do a cauliflower curry with chickpeas.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I put a bunch in my tuna salad
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    oh there is a lovely chick pea salad you can make - chickpeas, bell peppers, red onion, if you want to add meat of some sort can do too. lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil with some salt and other spices if you like (pepper, etc) - really refreshing and yummy and easy.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    falafel, chickpea curry with okra
  • osceroo
    osceroo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have the recipe ?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Tried this a few weeks back. Had my doubts about the dressing but it was amazing. Kroger didn't have Broccolini so I subbed asparagus for it.

https://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potato-chickpea-buddha-bowl/

I also use them in Greek Salads all the time instead of meat. I use this dressing recipe all the time. It's the best Greek Dressing ever. If I'm making Italian, just make it the same way using Balsamic and instead of the Oregano, use Italian Seasoning. Though there's no chickpeas in this, this is the type of recipe I'll add Chickpeas to all the time.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/greek-salad-recipe-1948517
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    osceroo wrote: »
    Do you have the recipe ?

well, i'll assume you want the chickpea curry recipe with okra since there's so many falafel recipes.. i think the okra really elevates the dish.

so let's see. i can't find the original recipe i had, but here is how i make the curry. makes a big pot of curry!
    tbs oil
    1 onion finely chopped
    3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
    2-3 tbs red curry paste (watch out it's spicy!) or 2+ rounded tablespoons of curry powder
    5 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
    2-3 stalks celery peeled chopped (depending on size)
    2-3 carrots peeled and chopped (depending on size)
    a small bag of frozen okra (i've never cooked with fresh okra)
    5 tsp mushroom veggie powder (or chicken bouillion powder or cubes)
    4 cups water
    1 cup of milk (i use regular dairy skim though traditionally people use coconut milk)
    approx 4 level tbs of cornstarch
    a can of chickpeas or if using dried, soaked and cooked about the equivalent to a can (1/12 cups?)

1.sautee the onions and garlic in oil till nicely sauteed over medium high heat in a stockpot (high if you are in a hurry and can stir constantly or medium heat if you are busy chopping veggies at the same time or whatever)
    2. add the curry paste and mix around with the onions and garlic or curry powder
    3. add all chopped veggies and 4 cups water (just enough to cover or mostly cover veggies) + boullion(may need a little more if using big veggies-adjust boullion too if needed)
    4. bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer. simmer about 12-15 minutes or so depending on big your veggies are cut
    5 add frozen okra and bring back to a boil then simmer 3-5 more minutes till all veggies are cooked (helps to thaw okra in water first then drain)
    6 stir cornstarch into milk, bring pot back to a boil and add the cornstarch milk mix to the pot and stir for a minute and half.
    7. add cooked chickpeas and stir gently.

-i eyeball the cornstarch so i think 4 FLAT tbs is about what i use, you might need a little more or less depending on how thick you like your curry. sometimes it comes out more like a thick soup which i don't mine, but less is better than too much or else the sauce gets gummy (you can always add a little more cornstarch and milk if you need to)
    -it sounds like lots of ingredients but it is actually very easy to make!
    -the original recipe didn't have potatoes if you omit the potatoes you would probably wantto use less water and boullion. (i do one tsp boullion per cup of water plus one for the milk)
    - i haven't made it with curry powder for a while so i forget if 2 tbs is enough or not. if you use it, i'd start with 2 tbs then add more at the end if you need more flavor but be careful, too much and it gets bitter
    - sometimes i like this over rice, sometimes i eat it by itself
    -this is also good without the okra /chickpeas but when i use chickpeas i like the okra with it
    - hope you make it and enjoy and it comes out good for you!!
  • MidwestAndHappy
    MidwestAndHappy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love roasting them in the oven with salt/pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. I like mine spicy. I eat it with homemade tzatziki (greek yogurt, dill, a bit of sour cream, shredded cucumber).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I don't have recipes handy because my husband cooks these over and over...but we got them from sources that should be easily searchable online.

"Kung Pao Chickpeas" (Pinterest)
    "Natalie Portman Chickpea & Zucchini Summer Stew" (People magazine)

Both absolutely delicious and in heavy rotation at our house.
    We use dry chickpeas (soaked) and canned chickpeas for both, depending on what we have on hand.
    Neither of us are that big on hummus to be honest!

Here's a pic of the Natalie Portman chickpea stew...he put a ton of parsley on top which isn't necessary, and there is rice beneath the chickpeas and tomatoes.

jh2nefafpjp9.jpg
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    smashed chickpea salad is great, and super good for sandwiches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsywAgJ42Ug
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Warm. Lemony. Filling.

https://pin.it/5n6beigra3arp3
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This Moroccan chickpea stew is very tasty. I make it regularly.

https://asimplepalate.com/blog/healthy-moroccan-spiced-chickpea-bowl/
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is one of our favorites. Even my kids like it!

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tuscan-chickpea-soup
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated chickpea cakes.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    anyone know how to make them crunchy? i tried in the air fryer, they just got weirdly soggy.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    anyone know how to make them crunchy? i tried in the air fryer, they just got weirdly soggy.

Dry canned chick peas very well with paper towels. Toss in olive oil. Air fry at highest temperature. Mine come out crunchy.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness! I am in love with this Crispy Chickpea Tacos recipe: https://www.hellofresh.com/recipes/crispy-chickpea-tacos-5aaac37030006c55e60c14b2?locale=en-US
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Use the chickpeas as the protein in a stir fry. I like to use a mixture of lime juice and soy sauce for the liquid and chickpeas, sugar snap peas, and thin strips of yellow squash for the protein and veggies, but any combo of veggies you like would work.