Calories

Options
Do you have to use the full amount of calories every day?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You don't "have" to do anything. This is a tool to assist you. In general, you should aim to eat the calories allotted to you to help ensure that you lose weight at a reasonable rate and don't under eat which could put your health at risk.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You should, or very close to. The calories given to you by MFP already have a deficit built in, based on your inputs, so eating everything will keep you at a healthy weight loss and make it easier to get all your nutrition.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    on average over the week yes. some days i may be 40-50 under. others 40-50 over. but generally i want to be as close to the goal as possible.

plus exercise calories.

some people will « save » some calories daily for a bit of a bigger meal or drink on tje weekend. so looking more at weekly goal.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You don't need to have it every single day, but you should just about average it over the long run. Meaning it's okay to be a couple hundred under your goal today and a couple of hundred over a few days from now. But overall, it should just about average out.

If you are consistently eating less than your MFP goal, you may have rapid and unhealthy weight loss, which is what you want to avoid. Rather you should work to try to lose sustainably and at a reasonable pace.
  • mcsega
    mcsega Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i try to never go more than 50 over and more than 150 under, and I usually try and get within 25 of my daily goal of 2300.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I average mine during the week. I like to eat my cardio calories on lifting days. Some days higher, some lower and it balances out over the week. No issues in six years doing this.