Frustrated and Confused about what to do.

Options
I have been dieting and maintaining a 1200 calorie a day intake since February. Three-four months ago I incorporated riding a stationary bike 2 times a day burning at max 600-650 calories a day into my diet regimen (all the while keeping at my set 1200 calorie food intake a day). This schedule of working out and food intake has always worked for me. I recently (over the past couple weeks or so) began increasing my workouts (added an elliptical to the mix) and have been burning 800-1000 calories a day. I keep hearing about “Starvation Mode” and I am unsure whether it is a myth or real. I am not sure if even when I am burning 800-1000 calories a day if I should limit myself to a 1200 calorie food intake a day, or if I should be increasing it to 1400 a day. I am struggling because there are so many articles on the web stating that “Starvation Mode” is a myth and there are others that don’t do this. I just don’t know which one is truth. I really don’t want to get stuck because my body assumes it is in starvation mode, but I don’t know if I should eat more, or what to meet my goal. Any help is appreciated. I don’t know where to go or what to do. I just need a legitimate and scientifically correct answer that is all.

Thank you so much

Sincerely,

Ashley

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories you might see a difference, what will it hurt, what your doing isn't working right?

Starving your body only works for so long when it comes to losing weight...
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    do you feel like you're stuck? If you're in a plateau, Weight Watchers used to stay to change something, like eat a bit more, making sure you're eating more fruits/veggies, not more junk, or change your exercise program by doing something new. The main thing is to keep at it, because you can overcome.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go to your Dr. that's exactly what I did & was told 1200 is what your body needs to stay fueled properly & if you are gonna incorporate exercise it really needs the fuel for a HEALTHY weight loss. You can even eat more if you are exercising alot because your body needs that fuel to keep energized & running. It will cause you to lose weight cause you are not over eating & exercising to take off. One pound a week is a HEALTHY weight loss.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    For the love of God eat more. If you are burning 1,000 cals and only eating 1,200, that only gives your body 200 cals to cater for all your biological functions. That would not maintain a hamster. Seriously, eat more, lots more.

Phil.
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think that the starvation mode is for real. I have been eating my calories and then working out and not eating my exercise cals. And guess what? I'm not losing any weight. It seems like a lot of bunk that I have to eat more to lose weight, but I guess that's the way it is. Frustrated as well! Hang in there my friend.
  • bglitterbug
    bglitterbug Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree, you are burning more and your body needs the fuel, aren't you finding yourself hungry? Don't deprive yourself, eat wholesome food to meet your goat, adding an extra 200 calories wont hurt you or your progress, :) You'll see - and you'll feel much better too.
    PS Take a multi vitamin everyday also, it's hard to get all the nutrition you need on 1200 calories per day, a multi vitamin ensures you are getting your daily vitamin fix.

Really impressed with the 1000 calories per day burn. I am proud with my 500 calorie burn per day - Go Girl!!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day and I recently started to walk/slow jog again. I am losing weight but I can't say or presume to guess without looking at your food diary. I would say to cut down on your sodium and sugar without looking at anything. I have mine under control now and I have found that I have been losing weight.

And, I would drink 8 glasses of water (just a guide) everyday so you know the weight you are losing isn't water weight. Good luck!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I personaly think its mostly a myth.... for us that have extra weight anyway. If you are skinny and have no fat reserves I can see starvation mode coming into affect. Here is how I look at things, Do I think you could eat more... yeah prob so. Do I think you HAVE to eat more... prob not. If your hungry eat! Listen to your body. If you truely are burning that much then you should be hungry and if you are then eat some more. Now my question is, how do you know what you are burning?? Until I started using a HRM I thought I was burning 600-1000 cals a day when really it was like 300-600 a day. Now If I had been eating my cals back that would have made me over everyday. So my theory is... I eat when I am hungry. I try to pick the healthiest lowest calorie option I have presented to me at that time. If I go over my 1200 then oh well my burned calories will cover them.

Oh and also, I usually do not eat back all of mine and I am losing just fine. Actually I haven't stalled out yet!!!! I weighed myself today and it looks like I will be down another 5-6 lbs if not more on my official weigh in day of Sunday!!!!
  • HavenIryxia
    HavenIryxia Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    And another thing, I'm not stuck.... I have been having weekends and vacations and stuff this past month where I gain like 3 lbs and lose it within 4 days. I just don't know what to do about starvation mode and if it is even real. I feel fine with what I am doing
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would say you're not feeling fine based on the thread you started yesterday.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/325356-help-extremely-weak-and-unsure-of-the-cause

Unsure of the cause? Seriously? EAT MORE! Your body and brain are not getting enough fuel. Perhaps a trip to the doctor and/or nutritionist is in order.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this as an explanation. If you're only eating 1200 calories and your'e exercising 600 worth of calories, you are really not eating enough.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/the-math-of-mfp-calorie-mathimatica-141021
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    As I'm getting down to my last 20 pounds to lose, I'm finding the same issues...and it IS frustrating.
    Here's what I've been doing and it's help be make 1-2 pound a week progress
    1) Don't just watch the calories, also consider total fats, carbs, and proteins, make sure they are all falling into your daily goal total
    AND, yes, you should eat at least half of your exercise calories back
    2) Evaluate the quality of your exercise...is your heart rate hitting your goal for least 80% of your workout session
    3) Try a different exercise...My weight loss got stuck, when I was using a trend mill...I switched to cycling outdoors...and the pounds dropped off
    Finally...
    Weigh in once a week and always at the same time, sounds crazy, but it's not usual for me to weigh as much as a pound more at the end of the day vs the beginning of the day
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/the-math-of-mfp-calorie-mathimatica-141021
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t

Hey Ashley!! I know I prolly give you the same advice over and over. But I think you need to eat more (good not junk) food. I read these articles/blog/etc, linked above, and this guy seems to have a good knowledge. But pretty much what the article says (very small idea)...

Multiply your current weight x 14= BMR
    Then multiply your BMR x your exercise
    1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Then decrease by 20-30% (Prolly 25% would work best)

Example of me
    176x14=2464 BMR (I am gonna round down to 2450)
    2450x1.55=3800 (rounding again)
    3800-(3800x0.25) or 3800x0.75=2850

I eat no where near that!! I get close to 2000 daily. Of course there is tons more to it then just the math, but it is something else to look into... (And prolly confuse you more! Sorry!)
    You do such an awesome job of working out so hard it sucks that you don't see the movement you deserve on the scale. I really think trying new approaches for at least 2 weeks at a time will help. I truly hope your body finally gives in and lets you discover what it needs to lose the weight!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a real thing, but it's been proven that it isn't as easy to go into as a lot of people seem to think (for instance, if you only net 1100 calories a day, your body will not automatically go into starvation mode.) I'd try switching things up though. I personally zig zag my calories a bit so my body doesn't get too used to it, and it works for me. However, what works for me and others may not work for you. I'd just try different things, and if nothing works maybe see a doctor and find out what you can do.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode, or more accurately adaptive thermogenesis is real, sure. But zig zagging cals arbitrarily isn't likely to keep it from happening. If you enjoy doing that... than that's fine... definitely not trying to knock it. But metabolic slowdown is going to happen whenever tissue is lost.

Especially fat.... as that's where a pretty significant hormone called leptin resides.

The faster you lose it, the faster the adaptation will occur. The slower you lose it, the slower it'll occur. But it still occurs.

Genetics definitely play a role as well, as some people can lose hoards of weight and not skip a beat. Others lose 20 lbs and suffer the consequences, which usually plays out via decrease thyroid, sympathetic nervous system output, NEAT, etc.

Edit: This was in reply to the post above mine. I did not read the original post. I concur though... eating far too little. Energy availability does mean something.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    For the love of God eat more. If you are burning 1,000 cals and only eating 1,200, that only gives your body 200 cals to cater for all your biological functions. That would not maintain a hamster. Seriously, eat more, lots more.

Phil.

what he said!!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If what you're currently doing isn't working - don't be afraid to try something else.

People will tell you that 1200 calories is the bare minimum calories you should consume in a day. That is just a guide - many people need far more than 1200 calories to not only live on, but to comfortably lose weight. Too many people want to lose 2lbs or more a week and MFP tells them to only eat 1200 calories a day to meet this goal - when in reality their body NEEDS more food. Starving yourself isn't the healthy way to lose weight and it won't result in long term weight loss maintenance.

Try upping your calories for a week or two and see what happens.

Make sure you are drinking enough water.
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    You sound just like me. Same calorie intake, same burn amount. I was losing 1-2 pounds steadily since January. A few weeks ago, however, as I increased my mileage in running (and my calorie burn), I slowed down and am losing less than 1 pound per week. I was also a raging B-word. yea, a bit grumpy. It was suggested by MANY people who have had success to raise my calories to 1400/day. I have done that for 2 weeks, and have lost consistently - still less than 1 pound each week, but I was worried I would gain, so I am still happy. I am not scientific or logical at all....LOL....but I am experiencing this just like you are, and are trying to figure out what works best for ME. I am stuck at the 160-165 range, going back and forth throughout the week. I am hoping that as my calories are increased, and my cardio burn is increased, I will get over this hump and break through. Good luck to you! I would recommend raising your calories to 1400/day and give it a month to see.
  • HavenIryxia
    HavenIryxia Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. I will investigate all my options. I appreciate everything you guys are suggesting :)
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t

Hey Ashley!! I know I prolly give you the same advice over and over. But I think you need to eat more (good not junk) food. I read these articles/blog/etc, linked above, and this guy seems to have a good knowledge. But pretty much what the article says (very small idea)...

Multiply your current weight x 14= BMR
    Then multiply your BMR x your exercise

ummm your BMR is not your weight X 14. Those figures are all off.

To the OP- I'd reccommed eating thise exercise cals and slowly upping you calorie intake. Maybe increase by 100 for a week and go from there. There is a lot of info on this site if you use the search feature.
    1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Then decrease by 20-30% (Prolly 25% would work best)

Example of me
    176x14=2464 BMR (I am gonna round down to 2450)
    2450x1.55=3800 (rounding again)
    3800-(3800x0.25) or 3800x0.75=2850

I eat no where near that!! I get close to 2000 daily. Of course there is tons more to it then just the math, but it is something else to look into... (And prolly confuse you more! Sorry!)
    You do such an awesome job of working out so hard it sucks that you don't see the movement you deserve on the scale. I really think trying new approaches for at least 2 weeks at a time will help. I truly hope your body finally gives in and lets you discover what it needs to lose the weight!