Street running question

Options
During the course of a 5-mile run, I ended up having to run on a busier street (although just a 35mph speed limit) for about .3 miles. Per the map below, I was running north, and then turned west on to Boston (running from right to left) - there wasn't a sidewalk on my side of the street, but there was on the north side. I opted not to cross because I would have had to stop and wait for a break in traffic, and then run across the street, run .3 miles, and then cross traffic again to be on the south side.

About halfway through that stretch, a car slowed down and the driver pointed to the sidewalk very forcefully several times, as if saying "YOU SHOULD BE ON THE SIDEWALK *kitten*!". I responded by forcefully pointing at my side of the road as in "I HAVE THE RIGHT TO RUN THIS STREET *kitten*! That was the end of it, although I kept waiting for him to drive alongside me, he seemed like the type that would escalate things.

I know I'm going to regret this ( :D ), but who was right? Should I have crossed a busy street twice in order to use the sidewalk or was it more logical for me to run along the main street for that short stretch?

2a31odl2lzpn.png

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Legally bikes have a right to be in the road. Unless your run was technically jay walking, I don't think anything prohibits you.

Probably more important, I see runners I'm the road occasionally.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the particular rules are where you are but I am in the UK.

Generally if there's a pavement (sidewalk) then you should use it. I have to admit I probably would weigh up how busy the road is and in the very small, rural town I live in, I probably wouldn't cross over for that short a distance. But in the larger town nearby I would cross, if you're worried about time then press pause.

If there isn't a pavement then the rules here is to run/ walk in to incoming traffic, unless you are on a blind bend when you should move closer to the outside of the bend so you can be seen. Oh and always be prepared to jump in to a hedge, because there are plenty of drivers that don't think you have a right to be on the road (even though in the UK we do)
  • dm01234_1
    dm01234_1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. Rules probably vary by jurisdiction.

I run in a Village in the early mornings and there are not many cars until I hit the 'main roads'. Almost all have sidewalks. I run the sidestreets and back roads facing traffic and always assume any car coming towards me does not see me and always get onto the sidewalk if one exists way in advance.

When no sidewalk exists, I move as far over as I can. Some cars go out of their way to get out of my way - others do not. I've even had things thrown at me as they've driven by.

There are people in my community that run reckless as far as I'm concerned and am shocked they haven't been flatted. I've almost hit them myself. They deserve whatever they get.

Anyways.. Here's a few sources I quickly found.

https://www.injurylawyerhou.com/car-accident-settlement/rules-of-the-road-for-runners-joggers-and-walkers/

https://www.allenandallen.com/running-legal-running-safe/

http://www.safeny.ny.gov/peds-ndx.htm
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    During the course of a 5-mile run, I ended up having to run on a busier street (although just a 35mph speed limit) for about .3 miles. Per the map below, I was running north, and then turned west on to Boston (running from right to left) - there wasn't a sidewalk on my side of the street, but there was on the north side. I opted not to cross because I would have had to stop and wait for a break in traffic, and then run across the street, run .3 miles, and then cross traffic again to be on the south side.

About halfway through that stretch, a car slowed down and the driver pointed to the sidewalk very forcefully several times, as if saying "YOU SHOULD BE ON THE SIDEWALK *kitten*!". I responded by forcefully pointing at my side of the road as in "I HAVE THE RIGHT TO RUN THIS STREET *kitten*! That was the end of it, although I kept waiting for him to drive alongside me, he seemed like the type that would escalate things.

I know I'm going to regret this ( :D ), but who was right? Should I have crossed a busy street twice in order to use the sidewalk or was it more logical for me to run along the main street for that short stretch?

2a31odl2lzpn.png

I don't claim to be super knowledgeable about this, but based on what I am seeing from some of the articles and general common sense, you would have been in the wrong because there was a sidewalk on the other side of the street. Not wanting to have to stop and wait for a break in traffic to cross does not mean there wasn't available to you. Sidewalks exist for pedestrians, so that they don't have the share the roadways with vehicles that go many times faster than them. It's not safe for either the vehicles or you to be on active roadways, and should certainly be avoided in circumstances where there is a sidewalk available.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Not using a sidewalk when one is available?
    On what would probably be considered not a back-street for primary residential access, but main road.

You were wrong.

And I would have run in the grass on that side and been wrong too. Agreed not worth crossing.
    Consider it your cross-country training for stronger ankles.

ETA - at least you were running facing traffic to see them - rather than more often I'm seeing with traffic incorrectly.
    Same with bike commuters being on wrong side when they are in the street correctly. And seeing more goofballs in black clothes no lights in dusk too.

ETA again - when I'm running on sidewalks I like to actually be running with traffic, some stats I saw years ago. Allows seeing the left turners onto streets you cross really do see you, and people turning off the streets can see you easier and you them. The people coming up behind turning right onto streets you cross have better chance of seeing you.
    So using that normal method, I would actually have done your route other direction and been running in grass going with traffic for that short spot. If no grass there and nothing decent to run on - probably would try to time the light to cross to sidewalk.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter who was right. A car will win against a runner every day of the week. Use the sidewalk if one is available. Otherwise, run AGAINST traffic so you see what's coming.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.

For those who mentioned it, I was running on the south side of the street against traffic. In addition, there was about 18-24 inches of pavement outside of the white line to run on and I was often running in the dirt strip along the road, so there was a reasonable amount of space between me and oncoming traffic.

Also, the question wasn't one of legality - pedestrians and cyclists have the right to use the street, whether or not there is a sidewalk. It was more of a question of etiquette.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and I run on the road. However, when I do it is 4:30am and I pick as many low traffic streets as possible. I run toward traffic and move as close to the side of the road as possible when a car is coming. I move right out of the way if a cyclist is coming. If it was very busy street I think I would have opted for the sidewalk. I typically see very few cars in the morning when I am running.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you are and how thick your skin is. I usually run on the road, or the cycle path if there's one as the state of sidewalks tends to be rather rubbish both in the UK and Netherlands. I have hypoermobile ankles and a twig on the sidewalk, or a not quite even tile might be enough to sprain my ankle. Thus I go with thick skin. But people are generally relaxed and don't care. I also avoid the busiest roads.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Generous shoulder and your were on the dirt, I would completely run as you did. You were running in the right direction as well. I personally think it was strange for the driver to have stopped if you were not impeding them in any way. Unless there is a sidewalk on the same side of the street I think etiquette wise you were fine or maybe in a grey area.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    meh. part of the price of running on the road. One of the many reasons I switched over to trail running.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    keithwp99 wrote: »
    meh. part of the price of running on the road. One of the many reasons I switched over to trail running.

Yeah, ideally I would run trails or running paths. My evenings and weekends are usually loaded up with kid events so I have to get some miles in at lunch, which means the treadmill or running the area around my house or office.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Given that you had a good shoulder, I think you were fine running where you were. Yes, sidewalk would probably be safer, but I would probably have done the same. I'll run with traffic at my back for short stretches rather than cross a busy street twice. (No sidewalks in my part of the county.)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The law says if there is a adequate adjacent pedestrian way, you have to use it.

But case law says that common law is still in effect, all roads are legal for pedestrian. Pedestrian use in the road is legal even when there is a adjacent way
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Unless a sidewalk/path is sufficiently separated from the road, I am never comfortable running with my back to traffic. I would rather run on the shoulder of a road, facing traffic than on a sidewalk close to the road with my back to traffic.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If there is a sidewalk, use it. If there isn’t a sidewalk, walk/run against traffic. Cyclists are road legal and should travel WITH traffic and follow all rules of the road. Everyone should wear hi-vis clothing.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I misunderstand; but, since you're in the UK, and since you made a left onto Boston Road you're running WITH traffic and NOT on a sidewalk, two hazardous things for a pedestrian. Depending on the width of the road and shoulder, you are taking a risk albeit over about a third of a mile.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Correct me if I misunderstand; but, since you're in the UK, and since you made a left onto Boston Road you're running WITH traffic and NOT on a sidewalk, two hazardous things for a pedestrian. Depending on the width of the road and shoulder, you are taking a risk albeit over about a third of a mile.

I am in Ohio in the US, so I was running against traffic on the left side of the street.

I appreciate all of the comments - I will definitely run this route again at some point and I am not sure which choice I will make. If it is busy and I'm going to have to wait 5 minutes to cross the street twice rather than just run 3-4 minutes along the street, I will probably do the same thing ;)

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    smells close to strongsville :)