Walking for weight loss?

I used to lift weights and loved it and managed to tone about 3 years ago. Things went off the boil and I lost my way, putting on 1.5 stone and never going to the gym. I have recently got back to going to the gym and have stopped letting weightwatchers control my eating and have sorted my diet out. So I guess my question is.....all ive been doing is walking for 1hr 3 times a week, on a 2% incline and at 3.8 miles per hour. Is this enough to lose weight and tone?

Replies

• Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Coupled with a good diet then yes, you can lose weight by just walking. I lost weight without walking and just diet alone so it can be done. With toning, you may want to incorporate some weights or try some HIIT workouts, yoga, pilates, etc.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Calorie deficit for losing weight. You need to burn more calories than your body burns to lose. You don’t need to exercise to lose weight.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Yes, you will lose weight. If you are not losing weight, then you will need to eat a little less. Something to think about though, if you get injured or can’t workout for one reason or another, knowing how many calories you need for the duration makes it easier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Walking burns somewhere around 240 calories per hour. If that puts you in a calorie deficit, then you'll lose weight. If it doesn't, you won't. Are you tracking the calories you eat?

As for toning... well, it'll tone your legs a little. But if what you're trying to do is retain or even build muscle, you really need to be doing some proper strength work. Walking won't cut it. However, it's still a lot better than doing nothing; it's a start you can build on.

This ^

But since you're going to a gym, why not lift weights?
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    That's a good pace for a 2 percent incline given where you're at in your journey. Walking is your friend and while you can lose weight without exercise, I believe you'd be short-changing yourself without it. Keep walking. When you're up for something at the next level, still walking oriented, consider a HeavyHands workout. Do a search for Dr. Leonard Schwartz and his HeavyHands workout approach. Good stuff.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Walking is good steady state cardio--I walk most places since I don't have car and live in a city, and on the days I hit 10k I usually am able to easily maintain on around 2,200-2,400 calories. On days I don't leave my house, it drops right back down to around 1900. However, on days I strength train, I'm maybe only burn a couple hundred calories, but longterm my shape has changed and my base metabolism is likely higher from the muscle I've put on. I personally like to do a combination of walking, jogging, yoga, strength training and occasional HIIT when I'm too lazy to leave the house. I get bored doing the same thing over and over.

Second Aloha--I love walking outdoors while listening to a podcast, an audiobook, or music. The fresh air and sunlight always improves my mood! Scotland is rainy though, so it's not something I count on.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I lost over 80 pounds and have been maintaining my weight for over 6 years and fitness walking and using aerobic walking workouts has been the my main source of exercise. I love all kinds of walking so much! Fast/slow intervals, hikes, brisk, moderate, slow pace (on active rest days), walks with puppy and family etc. I usually start and end my day with a walk.

It sounds like you would like to improve your body composition as well so I would recommend incorporating some sort of strength training with your walks such as bodyweight exercises, weights, barre, Pilates, TRX etc.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,838 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Walking burns somewhere around 240 calories per hour. If that puts you in a calorie deficit, then you'll lose weight. If it doesn't, you won't. Are you tracking the calories you eat?

As for toning... well, it'll tone your legs a little. But if what you're trying to do is retain or even build muscle, you really need to be doing some proper strength work. Walking won't cut it. However, it's still a lot better than doing nothing; it's a start you can build on.

This depends on how heavy TO is and how far she/he is walking. I would probably burn half of that despite walking fast as I'm not heavy.
  • MsterJooker
    MsterJooker Posts: 1 Member
    Its enough for weight loss but for toning use squat body weight at home for lower body and pushup for upper body
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I started walking 25 minutes a day (time and weather permitting; when time and weather don't permit, I have a glider in the basement). These days, I shoot for 2 hours +. It gives me more calories to play with and I've been exploring parts of Toronto that were practically under my nose and didn't know about. We have so many walking trails that aren't as well publicized as they could be. Until you're going down a street, see a gravel path, and start wondering where it goes...

(There is a website, but it hadn't occurred to me to look for it.)