Mirtazapine/Remeron depression & appetite

Options
I’m asking for my elderly mother who is in a rehab clinic and not eating. Because she is not eating her physical therapy is suffering. They mentioned she could start taking Remeron to stimulate her appetite. She has had many health issues over the years, does not sleep well, and I’m pretty sure she’s suffering from depression as a result.

From previous posts I’ve read, it appears to be successful as an appetite stimulant. But have any of you had success with this to relieve your depression as well? I just want her to get better both physically and mentally. Thanks!

Replies

• starrlight23
    starrlight23 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My son is actually on this for his depression. It has worked very well for him. However, it didn't increase his appetite at all but for him that was a good. I'll also add that this did make my son tired so he was sleeping much better. Everyone does respond differently so it may work to increase your mom's appetite.
  • 07ljmccolm
    07ljmccolm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have taken Remeron for depression for 10 years now. I am 60 y/o. It definitely increases your appetite. Most people gain 10 to 30 pounds and have to watch their diet. I take my dose just before I go to bed. I works well for depression. May need to take it earlier in night to decrease morning sleepiness.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i used to take it. i had to stop taking it because it made me ravenous.
    it worked well for my depression and helped me sleep.

i would think that the depression is the cause of the lack of sleep and lack of appetite instead of the other way around.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Will provide feedback how it works for her in case someone else needs similar help.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The appetite increase I experienced was strictly for sweets, in the evening. It didn't make me hungrier for a salad.

This will not be a popular thing to say here. In my state, they've made legal another thing that increases the user's appetite. I expect it works much better for appetite specifically.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The appetite increase I experienced was strictly for sweets, in the evening. It didn't make me hungrier for a salad.

This will not be a popular thing to say here. In my state, they've made legal another thing that increases the user's appetite. I expect it works much better for appetite specifically.

We used the same for my elderly grandfather. He was 6’2” and down to 105lbs after a stroke and some severe depression that left him with no appetite. A nice edible dose in a brownie for breakfast stimulated his appetite. Then he gained weight, got stronger, and could participate better in life. As the legalization only recently occurred in Canada it was illegal for my family to source at the time but after telling his doctor WHY he finally gained 20lbs in two months, he finally got a prescription for it.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,628 Member
    Options
    I was given this for insomnia. I'm sure getting enough sleep will help how she's feeling, I know it did for me. Being exhausted makes it hard to be cheerful. Physical therapy takes energy. It didn't affect my mood, perhaps because my dose was low. I haven't noticed an increase in hunger, but am already on something that causes increased hunger so that may be why.