Low cal alternative Tortilla chip?

Options
I was going to make some yummy healthy cowboy caviar but I’d like to not kill it with calorie laden chips. Any suggestions? I’ve had beanitos but...eh. There’s beans in the dip. I don’t want to overdo it lol

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I like the baked cheese whisps. Not really low cal, but they are filling enough that you, er I, don’t need to eat half a bag of chips. Other than that, maybe consider celery?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,907 Member
    Options
    Jicama slices? That would be good with cowboy caviar, and vaguely southwestern-ish.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 41,304 Member
    Options
    eggplant chips...zucchini chips....I like the quest nacho cheese protein chips
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Endive
  • brettboyer123
    brettboyer123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try and find low calorie, high protein tortillas. I like the ones by P28. Cut them up and bake them and use those as chips. No oil, and WAY less carbs than regular tortilla chips.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I use thinly sliced radishes, cucumbers, or pieces of purple cabbage. The jicama sounds like a great idea.
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I read something last night about cutting up thin strips of sweet potato and baking till they are crisp. Need to try it but would be a great solution!
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hxb2oykoom36.jpg
    like this^
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,733 Member
    Options
    For a crispy carb chip for holding dips try buying pappadum's that they sell for deep frying at home. Pop them in the microwave for a minute and the crisp and puff up. About 34 kcal per pappadum.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    2nd vote for zucchini chips, homemade potato chips, and sliced cucumber.

Celery could work.

You could also add some low fat sour cream and serve it more so as a cold side "salad," but that may be rocking the boat a little too much depending on what you're going for.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Leave out the avocado and go with the Tostidos and end up in the same place, calorie wise.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,733 Member
    Options
    I occasionally make oil free potato chips. Slice a potato thinly with a mandolin or food processor. Line a plate with silicon baking parchment or re-usable silicon mesh. Place potatoes in a single layer and season with salt. Zap about 6 minutes on high in the microwave. Remove any that become golden brown to cool. Continue to zap stragglers at 1 minute intervals being careful because the margin of error between golden brown and burnt is quite narrow. As they cool these harden to a crisp.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Quest makes some tortilla chips, but they're more like Doritos, not plain chips.

You could also get some tortillas and bake them yourself so you control how much oil is used.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I use carrots sliced like chips. Works great for hummus and guac.