Is it true

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    When I looked up similar information I ended up with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) 2008 Expert Committee report on Fats and Fatty Acids in human nutrition.

In it they suggest a 20% minimum fat consumption level for females of reproductive age.

"are consistent with the existing WHO/FAO recommendations (i.e. TRS 916): Minimum total fat intakes for adults•15%E to ensure adequate consumption of total energy, essential fatty acids, and fat soluble vitamins for most individuals.

20%E for women of reproductive age and adults with BMI < 18.5, especially in developing countries in which dietary fat may be important to achieve adequate energy intake in malnourished populations.

Maximum total fat intakes for adults a•30-35%E for most individuals

To optimize health, special attention should be given to both the overall dietary pattern, in terms of types of food consumed, and total energy intakes, in relation also to anthropometric (age group, BMI) and lifestyles characteristics."

From https://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/FFA_interim_recommendations/en/

Obviously people who practice keto tend not to subscribe to the maximum recommendation :smiley:

The full report: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i1953e.pdf
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Is it true that as long as you stay within your calories a day you’ll lose weight without worrying about macro? I find them confusing.

Yep. As long as you get enough protein and fat macros, are for satiety and calories are for weight loss. Macros affect weight loss simply because the ratios that keep you most full are the ratios that mean you are more likely to eat at a deficit.

Not true for me. I have to minimize my fat as it is not satiating for me. I pack on the pounds with fat. Carbs are very satiating for me.

but you still need a minimum of protein and fats for overall healthy (sorta like you don't need vegetables for weight loss but it's good for your health). from there which you go higher on is about feeling full. I tend to eat in volume so my fat tends to be too low. fat doesn't keep me full. HOWEVER, i still need to hit my mimimum daily for overall health so i keep a bit of an eye on that.

I think that's what Lillymoo meant

I am asking this out of curiosity. Do you know of any studies on how much fat your body actually needs?
    There is so much false information out there these days. I am just curious what the science actually says but I haven't found any.
    I am so tired of hearing that we don't need carbs. It's just not true. Carbs are very important for proper thyroid functioning and neurotransmitter production. I can tell when I don't eat enough carbs because I feel like garbage. Fat? I can go as low as 10% and can't tell any difference.
    So I am just curious.

A body needs 11g of Alpha Linoleic Acid (ALA), which takes about 20-25g of total fat.

Also, its a myth that you need carbs, even for proper thyroid function. Our bodies have no minimum dietary carb requirement. And if needed, it can and does create glucose via gluconeogenesis.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Is it true that as long as you stay within your calories a day you’ll lose weight without worrying about macro? I find them confusing.

Yep. As long as you get enough protein and fat macros, are for satiety and calories are for weight loss. Macros affect weight loss simply because the ratios that keep you most full are the ratios that mean you are more likely to eat at a deficit.

Not true for me. I have to minimize my fat as it is not satiating for me. I pack on the pounds with fat. Carbs are very satiating for me.

but you still need a minimum of protein and fats for overall healthy (sorta like you don't need vegetables for weight loss but it's good for your health). from there which you go higher on is about feeling full. I tend to eat in volume so my fat tends to be too low. fat doesn't keep me full. HOWEVER, i still need to hit my mimimum daily for overall health so i keep a bit of an eye on that.

I am asking this out of curiosity. Do you know of any studies on how much fat your body actually needs?
    There is so much false information out there these days. I am just curious what the science actually says but I haven't found any.
    I am so tired of hearing that we don't need carbs. It's just not true. Carbs are very important for proper thyroid functioning and neurotransmitter production. I can tell when I don't eat enough carbs because I feel like garbage. Fat? I can go as low as 10% and can't tell any difference.
    So I am just curious.

A body needs 11g of Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA), which takes about 20-25g of total fat.

Also, its a myth that you need carbs, even for proper thyroid function. Our bodies have no minimum dietary carb requirement. And if needed, it can and does create glucose via gluconeogenesis.

Do you have sources for this?
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    When I looked up similar information I ended up with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) 2008 Expert Committee report on Fats and Fatty Acids in human nutrition.

In it they suggest a 20% minimum fat consumption level for females of reproductive age.

"are consistent with the existing WHO/FAO recommendations (i.e. TRS 916): Minimum total fat intakes for adults•15%E to ensure adequate consumption of total energy, essential fatty acids, and fat soluble vitamins for most individuals.

20%E for women of reproductive age and adults with BMI < 18.5, especially in developing countries in which dietary fat may be important to achieve adequate energy intake in malnourished populations.

Maximum total fat intakes for adults a•30-35%E for most individuals

To optimize health, special attention should be given to both the overall dietary pattern, in terms of types of food consumed, and total energy intakes, in relation also to anthropometric (age group, BMI) and lifestyles characteristics."

From https://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/FFA_interim_recommendations/en/

Obviously people who practice keto tend not to subscribe to the maximum recommendation :smiley:

The full report: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i1953e.pdf

This report was really interesting. Their bottom line was that there is insufficient evidence for the role of dietary fat levels and overall health. Their recommendations are based upon obesity prevention. They actually recommend a minimum of 15% dietary fat for the absorption of fat soluble vitamins.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

So I am just curious.

A body needs 11g of Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA), which takes about 20-25g of total fat.

?? The AI (adequate intake)for ALA (alpha linolenic acid, an omega-3 EFA) for men is 1.6 g/day and for women is 1.1 g per day -- not sure where your 11 g is coming from. In addition, the amount of total fat you would need to achieve that would depend on the source -- different fat sources will have different amounts of ALA in them.

In addition, the AI for linoleic acid (the only omega-6 EFA) is 17 g/day for men and 12 g/day for women. Again, how much total fat you need to consumer to get that depends on what your fat sources are.

https://www.nap.edu/read/10490/chapter/10
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Options

So I am just curious.

?? The AI (adequate intake)for ALA (alpha linolenic acid, an omega-3 EFA) for men is 1.6 g/day and for women is 1.1 g per day -- not sure where your 11 g is coming from. In addition, the amount of total fat you would need to achieve that would depend on the source -- different fat sources will have different amounts of ALA in them.

In addition, the AI for linoleic acid (the only omega-6 EFA) is 17 g/day for men and 12 g/day for women. Again, how much total fat you need to consumer to get that depends on what your fat sources are.

Ill have to go back and find my source if i get time. I know it came from a few studies in the Interesting Studies on low carbs. And for some reason, your link isn't working for me.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324021/interesting-studies-probably-low-carb-related-in-one-way-or-another/p1
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

So I am just curious.

Ill have to go back and find my source if i get time. I know it came from a few studies in the Interesting Studies on low carbs. And for some reason, your link isn't working for me.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324021/interesting-studies-probably-low-carb-related-in-one-way-or-another/p1

Sorry. It works just fine for me. How about this one? You'll have to click through "read online" and find chapter 8 (which strangely says chapter 10 in the URL).

https://www.nap.edu/catalog/10490/dietary-reference-intakes-for-energy-carbohydrate-fiber-fat-fatty-acids-cholesterol-protein-and-amino-acids