Help with carbs

Options
Hi

I have recently joined and been given 1200 calories a day with 165 carb, 40 fat and 40 protein

Currently I am not having any bread, pasta, rice etc but struggling to keep to 165 carbs. I am vegetarian eating lots of fruit, veg, nuts and soya yoghurt.

Does it matter if I go under my carbs so that I reach my calorie target?

Thank you in advance

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have recently joined and been given 1200 calories a day with 165 carb, 40 fat and 40 protein

Currently I am not having any bread, pasta, rice etc but struggling to keep to 165 carbs. I am vegetarian eating lots of fruit, veg, nuts and soya yoghurt.

Does it matter if I go under my carbs so that I reach my calorie target?

Thank you in advance

Those are MFP guidelines. They are useful for a 'normal' dieter but I would say you have to find your own way. I am a vegan who goes over my carb limit everyday, unless I exercise.

I would suggest you do what you do and log in your food. You will come to realize what you need to do to lose weight and that MFP is a great tool (but only a tool).

Good luck!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Not at all, you can always be under carbs, Im the same way because I limit carbs from grains so its hard to get. As long as your getting enough for energy your ok :)
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    to me 165 carbs is a lot. Per my DR if a woman wants to lose weight to eat around 30 carbs per meal so thats 90 carbs a day
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I don`t worry about carbs but go over on my protein...I don`t eat bread etc that you mentioned. I get my carbs from veg.

Good luck x
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with carb, your body needs it. Go with Whole grain bread/cereal, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I doubt it will matter if your calories are on point. But I'd keep an eye on how many of those carbs are from sugar.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat that many carbs, you can change your goals (using the custom set-up). I changed mine to 55% carbs, 25% protein, and 20% fat, according to my trainer's recommendation, rather than using MFP's default.
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with carb, your body needs it. Go with Whole grain bread/cereal, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc.

Whole Grain Carbs are much better for you than white bread and white rice ect. But they still turn to sugar and if your really wanting to lose fat you have to limit grain carbs!!!!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't eat grains because I'm allergic to most of them as well as potatoes and I try to limit my consumption of refined sugar so my carbs come from fruits and veggies as well. I manage about 100-130 carbs a day and I'm eating 1600-1800 cals. It's not a big deal as long as you don't burn out and totally lose your energy at any point during the day. If you're having epic fail energy wise during a workout or the 3 o'clock duldrums you need to find a way to get additional good carbs in. Protien and good fats will help make up some of that energy as well. Good luck and keep fighting the good fight! :drinker:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

Whole Grain Carbs are much better for you than white bread and white rice ect. But they still turn to sugar and if your really wanting to lose fat you have to limit grain carbs!!!!

No, you have to limit calories. I lost all my weight and ate complex carbs with virtually every single meal.
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    I didn't SAY *eliminate* I SAID LIMIT! I should introduce you to Dr. Mercola lol
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be frank- I'm with Mayhem.

You HAVE to LIMIT your carbs so many people live on 100 calorie packs of garbage. Just because they meet their calorie goal doesn't mean they're meeting their macros everyday and these are the people that can't understand why they're flabby even after they lose a bunch of weight.

To the OP- being a vegetarian and being under carbs is a hard thing to do since most of the veggie protien sources are high in carbs. So as long as you're meeting all of your other macros and again, you're not losing energy you're ok...

Check this article about nutrition I found it very interesting:
    http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/strongher-university-part-ii-nutrition-101/