Penzey's Spices-favorites?

Options
Katmary71
Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
I'm going to be near and visiting a Penzey's next month and usually want to buy everything when I go! What are your must haves from there?

My favorites are:
Mural of Flavor. Great on vegetables. I use it on my egg/vegetable scramble all the time.
Fox Point: excellent coating the top of salmon with squeezed lemon! This is my favorite blend, it has salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onion, and green peppercorns.My mom sprinkles it on salads and uses it in place of onion seasoning for chips and dip. Good on chicken too.
Penzey cinnamon, both the store named one and Vietnamese.
Chili Con Carne seasoning- I've been using it with their Chipotle pepper in sweet potato turkey chili. It's not spicy alone, so the combo is good.
Tuscan Sunset- I put this in a different bottle and only remember it has peppers, but it's great on eggs.

So far even their regular black pepper is good so it's tough to narrow down a list! I'd love to hear your favorites.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Penzey's. You already got my favorite: Fox Point. Try it on eggs and pizza.

I like their 33rd and Galena on roasted veggies. Their taco seasoning mix is good too.

I also keep a lot of basic spices from Penzey's. Of these, the ones I especially like are the smoked paprika and the chili powder. Pretty much all my spices are from Penzeys, so I can talk about others too.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I love the smoked paprika and the chipotle chili powder. I also like the Turkish seasoning blend on simple sauteed vegetables. They have several different jerk seasoning blends. I like the one that is specified for fish, but I use it on lots of stuff.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
    Northwoods for roast chicken, definitely.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Forward is my go-to blend for most everything, but I also like their Ozark blend for meats and veggies. It tastes very American. Seconding apullum on 33rd and Galena, that's my favorite pork rib rub, or if I want BBQ flavor on a smoked chicken. I use the Greek blend frequently with tomato cucumber salad.

I'm not crazy about their jerk seasoning though. Somehow, it's just not potent enough.

I really wish they'd come out with a ras al-hanout blend. Kroger used to have a store brand version that I used all the time, but as with so many good things, it got discontinued, and I hate blending everything together for myself.

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Berbere on eggs!
    Berbere on veg!
    Berbere on meat!
    Berbere on fish!
    Berbere in my belly!

The Maharaja Curry makes the best chicken salad.

Bouquet Garni is very versatile.

That being said I stick to individual spices these days and haven't come across one I didn't like.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed Penzey's when I've gone (a friend of mine in the burbs is near one), but I'm near a https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/ so have been impulse spice buying there.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is their French Thyme.

I like Chicago, Northwoods and Arizona. Vietnamese cinnamon. Their chicken soup base is good. I like their chipotle powder and smoked paprika.

I don't care for their garam masala and have had several things from there that were mediocre so it is good you're getting recommendations.
  • apullum
    Options
    I've never seen them anywhere but their social media presence cheers me.

They only have shops in a few major urban areas, but you can order online. I buy most of my Penzey's spices online since the closest shop is about 1.5 hours away. If you sign up for their emails, there are almost always freebies and discounts.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    Thank you all for listing your favorites! I was planning on buying smoked paprika and more chipotle pepper. I have a small jar of French Thyme plus grow thyme so that may wait, though it's always used in the split pea soup I make. There's some blends you all named that I haven't tried, I'll be taking a big list! Thanks again!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I love penzeys! They always have free samples too! My favorite is fox point!
  • Lutielu
    Lutielu Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Fox point ❤️🥰👍
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The worst thing about having moved out of Wisconsin is the lack of Penzey's stores :/

For the most part I buy straight herbs and spices rather than blends, but I do really like their curry blends (and they have quite a few - most recently I got garam masala and rogan josh) and some of their chili powder blends. Unlike a previous poster, I do like the garam masala, though I do always supplement it with various additions of my own. They also make a nice adobo, imo. Penzey's used to make a southwest blend that I put on basically everything but they stopped making it several years ago :(
  • apullum
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I love Penzeys so much that this sticker is on my laptop. (A colleague once missed the "tasty food" part of it and was very confused.)

41la070m7gqx.png
  • Katmary71
    Options
    Oh man, I'm going to have to save and leave special room in my carry on bag for this trip! You can use the email deals in the stores for those of you that go in person. I've always wanted to get one of those huge "replace your spices and herbs" gift boxes for myself!
  • jcoff1
    jcoff1 Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love their Sunny Paris, especially with eggs! Arizona Dreaming with corn on the cob, Mignonette pepper on everything! Pay it Forward is just like Arizona Dreaming but without the heat.
    Such a fabulous company. Wish I could shop in store, but on-line will have to do.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    That place is great!
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh I LOVE Penzey's. **Sunny Paris** is my fave. It's a mixture of dried shallots, green herbs of some sort...I use it on everything, eggs, potatoes, pasta, etc. Their paprika is fab, the vanilla, the cinnamon, garlic salt with herbs..I could go on and on.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Penzey’s pepper blend, Vietnamese cinnamon, roasted garlic powder, white onion powder, I love all that I’ve tried from there.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sunny Spain and Northwoods Fire on everything, especially steamed veggies. Vietnamese cinnamon. Dried peppers, especially chipotle peppers for soups and chilis, and tsien tsien in stir fry. Smoked paprika. Bold Taco Seasoning. Hot Chili Powder. Hot Curry powder. Basically everything I need spice wise, I get there. The only Italian seasoning I like is Italian Herb Mix.