What is Low Carb?

Keto is <20g of carbs. What passes as low carb then?

Replies

• eloelochat
    eloelochat Posts: 32 Member
    Low carb is less than 60g carbs a day. My GP told me to do low carb on days I don't feel I can stick to keto, and she said 60g. But it might just be the numbers for my height and weight? (5'5, 176)
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    There's no real agreed upon definition. I've seen < 50g = ketogenic diet and defined as very low carb. I've seen < 60g, < 80g, < 100g and < 150g be defined as low carb. I've seen 200g - 250g called lower carb, which with the average American eating about 300g, would be true.
  • Nevetharine
    Nevetharine Posts: 10 Member
    Right - so when you do HIIT for 20 minutes, how much glycogen would you burn?

I know some are stored in the muscles, and they get used only for the muscles.
  • Nevetharine
    I've heard under 125g.

Why is the exact number important? I figure if I'm hitting my minimum protein and fat goals, then carbs can fall where they fall. Carbs are the one macro that are not that important if you get too much or not enough.

Just because I feel better - mood-wise, when I'm burning fat rather than carbs. I do Intermittent Fasting (20:4) and I'm just looking at what might be best for me to maximize ketone usage.

It can't be keto, because it's too expensive. Essentially; I'm looking at what amount of carbs I can get away with, while still enjoying mood and concentration benefits.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Interesting that you say keto is too expensive. I don't keto myself, but I have a student here where I work who is on poor student budget and he has been keto-ing successfully (and making sure to tell me all about it and try to make me do it) for the last year or so.

He buys meats in bulk at cheaper price and all the other stuff he eats, I don't know exactly, but he's definitely not got money to spare on buying special foods.
  • Nevetharine
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Interesting that you say keto is too expensive. I don't keto myself, but I have a student here where I work who is on poor student budget and he has been keto-ing successfully (and making sure to tell me all about it and try to make me do it) for the last year or so.

He buys meats in bulk at cheaper price and all the other stuff he eats, I don't know exactly, but he's definitely not got money to spare on buying special foods.

Meat here (south africa), even on special, is expensive. Both me and my husband are unemployed and struggling to find work.

A keto luxury I can afford is butter and coconut oil... to make bulletproof coffee. Although that's not very nutritious. Obviously. But I'd rather drink my fats than add it to my food, which may seem weird.

Anyway, back to the meat issue. Because meat is very expensive, our diet consists mostly of chicken a few times a week, and lentils + beans the rest. Obviously lentils are high in carbs, but they are also high in fibre. For the past 3 days I've been tracking on MFP (I haven't in a year, since I'm in maintenance.) I end up at about 120g of carbs a day. But when its lentils, almost half is fibre, which I substract.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Hi OP - When I go low(er) carb, I am usually around 100g (net) carb with sugar less than 20g per day. This with a brisk 10k walking steps every day keeps my in ketosis. I dont eat meat, but I do eat fish, eggs and dairy. Heck, I even have toast :) I am assuming you want to lower your carbs to reduce your appetite wihc in turn reduces your overall calorie intake ? If this is the case, you will have to find your own personal limit and only you can find that sweet spot by experimenting with your day to day routine and food options. Personally, anything less than 50g is a bit too tough to sustain for me. Good luck !
  • Nevetharine
    OooohToast wrote: »
    Hi OP - When I go low(er) carb, I am usually around 100g (net) carb with sugar less than 20g per day. This with a brisk 10k walking steps every day keeps my in ketosis. I dont eat meat, but I do eat fish, eggs and dairy. Heck, I even have toast :) I am assuming you want to lower your carbs to reduce your appetite wihc in turn reduces your overall calorie intake ? If this is the case, you will have to find your own personal limit and only you can find that sweet spot by experimenting with your day to day routine and food options. Personally, anything less than 50g is a bit too tough to sustain for me. Good luck !

Hi, nah, calories have nothing to do with it for me. I'm not looking to lose weight. I want to do low carb because the ketones have an anti-depressant effect on me, and also better mental concentration. I've been in maintenance for 4yrs. I think I lower it to 50 or so when I exercise...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    I've heard under 125g.

Why is the exact number important? I figure if I'm hitting my minimum protein and fat goals, then carbs can fall where they fall. Carbs are the one macro that are not that important if you get too much or not enough.

Just because I feel better - mood-wise, when I'm burning fat rather than carbs. I do Intermittent Fasting (20:4) and I'm just looking at what might be best for me to maximize ketone usage.

It can't be keto, because it's too expensive. Essentially; I'm looking at what amount of carbs I can get away with, while still enjoying mood and concentration benefits.

If you feel better on a certain amount of carbs, wouldn't stand to reason that the level of carbs you would aim for is the level that makes you feel better? Who cares about definitions and if it's called low carb or not as long as you feel better. Start at the lowest carb level you can afford and gradually increase until you hit a sweet spot, or the other way around, start high and gradually go down until you feel good.

If the results you're looking for are specific to you, then everything else, including the process, amounts, and types, will also be specific to you. No boxed numbers will do the trick.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I've heard under 125g.

Yeah, I feel better and have more stable moods on lower carb, too - but I feel like it may be that I eat very little sugar or wheat when I'm lower carb. I don't know that for sure because I've never tried low carb while still eating bread and sugar.

With that said, I agree with amusedmonkey above. Play with it. I find 100-150g per day to be perfect for mood, concentration and energy for me. I don't know about any research done on this - but if you find any let us know!

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Agreed with the above -- rather than worrying about what others consider low carb, just experiment and see what you like.

I've been happy at various times at 100-120 g and 120-150 g, and am now eating somewhat more (40-50% carbs) since I'm intentionally eating less meat and more beans/lentils and somewhat more whole grains and fruit than I did before and feel as good or better, but I've come to believe that for me it's less about carb %/g as overall diet.

Not saying that's the same for all.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Keto is <20g of carbs. What passes as low carb then?

My doctor told me she uses these parameters:

Keto is less than 20 grams NET carbs, same for everybody.

Low Carb is less than 20% of your calories from total carbs (not net)

Moderate carb is between 20% and 35% of your calories from total carbs (not net)

High carb is more than 60% of calories from total carbs.