Changing my eating habits

10 weeks ago I started 'The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet' by Dr Micheal Mosley, to lose weight quickly. I developed some unhealthy eating habits - I was so fearful of eating over the 800 calorie mark that I would usually end up eating 400. I lost around 25kg. Then I started binging and starving afterward, my weight fluxuated regularly, gaining or losing 4 - 6 kg. I liked the feeling of being skinny, I felt good about myself, but I hated eating so little and only having treats when I binged and it created a feeling of disgust with myself when I did eat 'treat' foods.

About a week ago I started eating 1200 calories to try and get my eating back to normal. I gained weight back so rapidly - I'm only 5 or 6 kg less than the weight I was at before I started the blood sugar diet. The weight-gain has slowed down now thankfully, and I'm on my way to losing weight again, in a healthier and more sustainable way this time.

Has anyone else been on any of Dr Mosley's diets? It would be cool to hear about other people's experiences with it.

(This is in no way mean to discourage people from Dr Micheal Mosley's 8 week Blood Sugar Diet, it is a good diet for people who do it properly).

Replies

• vcoombs7818
    vcoombs7818 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2019
    Been doing 5.2 for 2.5 years and now at our lowest weight for 50 years (70 years old) never had a problem and never felt happier with a programme.I also do TRE.We are all individuals and what suits one doesn’t suit another.The dieting community will never agree on what’s best or worst for that matter so my husband and I just potter on in own way we both have the blessing of our individual doctors and we tell no one as we get flack from all and sundry because it seems to me that at 70 and 79 we are fit healthy and enjoying it what’s not to love.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • exhilen
    exhilen Posts: 43 Member
    Unless under doctor supervision, which does not mean a book, you should not be eating under 1200 calories, and that’s typically more for shorter individuals. The reason you gained the weight back quickly was due to water replenishing the fat cells.

I suggest making it easier on yourself and input your data on MFP, follow its recommendations, and pick up a cheap food scale. Fad diets like this never work in the long run, especially if the goal is to “lose weight quickly.”