Really underweight female would appreciate any advice or words of encouragement

Options
I’m 5’3 and now 97 pounds I’ve never been to big maybe 115-120 pounds but I lost a very close relative a few days before Christmas and there her daughter my 12 year old niece attempted and nearly succeeded in committing suicide so I became severely depressed and refused to eat or really get out of bed there was a lot more things that just went downhill that was out of my control depression is still a struggle for me but I’m in a much better head space now and have seen a doctor but it’s just hard for me to eat unless it’s really appealing but even then I leave food on my plate and I’m tired of my mom telling me to wear long sleeves so people don’t get disgusted and just random people commenting on it when they have no idea what I’m going threw I used to be so confident and thought nothing could change that but I’m ashamed to say it has to the point I don’t wanna leave the house I just moved to a new area to help my mom and absolutely have no friends to ask advice I don’t own any weights and really don’t have the cash to get into a gym but I did purchase a 3lb medicine ball also what are your takes on Apettimen..??? And if good where to purchase

Replies

• noelcheaito2007
    noelcheaito2007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have actually seen two doctors not therapist I can’t afford that but all though the doctors both said I’m under weight they don’t seem to be that concerned yet as long as I don’t end up losing more weight I told my last doctor I thought it was because of depression and he said I didn’t seem depressed if I was I wouldn’t care about my weight loss
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Perhaps something in this thread will help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

I am not suggesting you have an eating disorder, but linking this site because at least they might have suggestions on free or low cost counseling with someone who understands struggling to eat enough.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

I'm sorry you're struggling, hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • AthenaBosi
    AthenaBosi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was in your same boat! Not story but the whole depression and losing weight. I'm still getting out of it but I'm a lot better!! This app helped me so much. And the hard truth is, you gotta force yourself to eat. At the start of this journey which was under a year ago, the last thing I wanted to do was put food in my mouth. I'd start a meal and never finish it. I think counting calories was what helped the push of knowing I needed more. Maybe start with high calorie snacks/foods you can munch on while working or watching something so you're not paying too much attention to it. Granola bars, nuts, dry cereal, milk, juice etc. Even just buying a meal you enjoy so it's not so bad. Breaking meals / calories into increments through out the day. When I have bad anxiety, snacking on veggies or foods that don't have a strong scent helps - like celery or carrots.

Staying active may help even if it's just a stroll or dance. It helps me get an appetite. There's a lot of workout videos on YouTube. Pick up a hobby that you may have forgotten you enjoy or a new one. Can be anything. And most of all, surround yourself with the right people and don't let others' thoughts get to you. And yes, there are so many a-holes out there that have no idea what you're going through. It sucks, but you gotta flush it out or cut people out. (That was the biggest help for me personally.) This is your journey. You will get through it! Be patient and gradually work towards your goal over time. If you need a friend on here, feel free to add me. :)
  • shayd742
    shayd742 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your recent struggles. I too have struggled w depression. Best advice I can give is to recommend slowly easing into a physical activity. Could start with walks in the morning or really whenever you can. Get a resistance band and try different exercises (google/ YouTube has a million workouts) working out is my best therapy. Releases endorphins and will also trigger your appetite. The healthier I eat the better I feel. The hardest part is just executing the 1st workout. Don't worry about competing with anyone else right now or get discouraged from the past. Once you break the depression of not eating right and feeling self conscious u might actually enjoy excersising and take it to new levels as you go. If someone tells you u shouldn't excersise because you're too small tell them to f off. :) Wish you the best of luck
  • cathd80
    cathd80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. Also sad to hear your mother is so unsupportive. I've been slender my whole life, when when really stressed my appetite disappears so I know the feeling. I agree that you should eat anything that appeals to you- ice cream, fatty foods that most people have to avoid. At the same time if you can add proteins like eggs and chicken it will help in the long run.

As for not having money for a gym I'd get on youtube and look for any kind of home resistance and/or strength training program. Cardio is good, but it burns a lot of calories. Walking will help your mood and appetite, but for me, even when I am mentally completely opposed to going to the gym, if I force myself to go, I always feel better. You can find ways to strength train at home- with things like canned goods or resistance bands. At your size it won't take much- your own body weight is probably enough resistance. Plus, it sounds cheesy but I pop in my earbuds and rock out to the music that makes me happy, and I always feel better. Which is all to say that even though I'm significantly underweight I refuse to see myself as fragile. Force yourself as best you can and don't let the numbers on the scale make you hate yourself. This is a situation, not who you are.