Boost Protein? Calcium?

Options
I'm not on any specific diet plan.. I just cut calories.. The only fruits I eat are apples and bananas (not everyday) and the only vegetable I eat is lettuce (every day when available).. I do make a home made salsa with tomatoes jalapeño garlic onion and cilatro.. liquified. Again.. not everyday. I cut out dairy besides maybe 30 grams of cheese a day at the most due to digestive reasons. I eat mainly meat.. grains.. and beans.. I'm still having a really hard time reaching my protein goal. And without dairy.. not sure how to get calcium.. I'm taking a multivitamin every other day but idk what else I can do.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal, and how much are you getting per day? If your diet is high in meats and beans, I am surprised you are still finding you are low on protein.

Beans are also a pretty good source of calcium, so make sure the bean entry you use has calcium actually listed for it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Are you filling out your food diary?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Have you set a high protein goal? Many posters who have trouble reaching their protein goal have set an unnecessarily high protein goal.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that the macros are inaccurate..
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I ate chicken and it registered as fat instead of protein..
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Few things are just one macro.

For example, the USDA entry that I use for rotisserie chicken gets 79% of calories from protein and 21% from fat.

ETA: You do need to check the accuracy of the MFP entries that you use against a known source such as the box or USDA database.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try the Almond milk for extra protein. I also find it easier to hit my protein goals by including it in every meal; like adding an egg to breakfast. You may also supplement with a protein powder to hit your target.