So disheartened and I need some advice. I can't lose.

Options
n_green_l
n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 5 ft 6, weigh 11 stone 7 and age 32.

I'm getting married in September and I hoped to get to 10 stone 7. If I'm 11 stone at my wedding I will be devastated. I started losing a pound a week consistently the last month and got to 11 stone 3. I have been logging everything, weighing everything. I haven't exercised at all.

This week I joined the gym because I want to start adding exercise in an attempt to push the weight loss to 1.5lb to 2lb a week instead of 1lb.

I've done HIIT classes this week (feeling sore now) and I went out for a meal last night. I had steak and chips and an eclair for desert, I also had some wine.

Now I'm 11 stone 7. I'm so upset that a month's work has taken me back to right where I started over a meal.

How can I lose this quickly? I'm so disheartened and it's now dawned on me I'll never get below 11 stone.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I know this will sound easily said try not to stress. I know your day is important because you want to look your very best and your dress to fit perfectly. Your husband to be is marrying you because of everything you have together. You being fit, healthy and relaxed will be all he really wants so you both can share many happy years together.

I know all this will probably have been said before. Wanting to loose what is for many the last stone is hard, its a level where the suggestion is to set to loose .5 of a lb a week. I know you want it done and dusted in good time only weight loss is not linier. You have taken up gym classes, all good, only sudden use of muscles which are unaccustomed to the activity can cause temporary weight gain, tired or used muscles use fluid in the repair and renew cycle. thinking cycle, that always changes ones weight too.

I hope you can, log accurately - weighing foods digitally, exercise if you wish, and know you are and will be very much loved as you are now or if you loose the lbs. You are making the commitment for a life time, Please know a happy day with friends and family does not rest on 14 lbs
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Go by measurements more than the scale. I've been the same weight since October but I lost a dress size because I've been weight training. I lost fat, gained some muscle, but the scale is the exact same number.

Use a trending app to help even out water weight fluctuations. Count calories, weigh your food. Aim for 1 pound a week rather than 2. Be patient. Keep going, and in three months, you might be surprised at how much better you feel for your wedding.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you are likely retaining water from the new exercise and with your stats you shouldn't be trying to lose more than a pound a week, and frankly, a half pound would be better for someone who is only looking to lose 14 pounds.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

That said, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    You can lose weight because you have been for the past month. You did things this week that cause water retention; taking HIIT classes at the gym and eating out for a meal. New exercise routines can cause people to hold onto water weight due to muscle repair and take out food usually is high in sodium which can also cause water retention. If you had more carbs than usual during that meal out, this would also cause water retention.

Scale wise, yes, you are back where you started but fat wise you are not. Weight fluctuates constantly and not even just daily; it can even fluctuate hourly. If you keep doing what you're doing you will see that the water weight will fall off and you'll keep losing. You should not expect to keep losing consistently week to week or even daily. Keep in mind that women also hold water during different parts of their cycle. For some it's during ovulation, for some it's during menstruation, for some it's the days in between, and for some it's a combination.

I know it's easy to feel disheartened; I've been there. Take a deep breath, keep chugging on, and trust the process.

100% this.