Does not getting enough sleep make you gain weight?

Options
I have been gaining some inches around my middle lately, despite my best efforts. I read in some places that getting very little sleep can cause this. Is that true? Because I barely even get 7 hours of sleep on a good night. I can't fall asleep until about 3 am and then my first class starts at 7, which causes me to have to wake up at 530 in order to make it.

I'm hoping this is the culprit because frankly I am out of ideas!

Replies

• DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    It does for me, but it's not so directly related in my case. When I'm tired, I eat more.
  • LamsieDee
    Options
    yes, you can gain by sleep deprivation. you're body needs proper rest to repair muscles and keep healthy.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    i am going to say yes. but the bigger thing is the reason why. I had sleep apnea which was a result of me having hypothyroidism..I also have PCOS which resulted in lots of weight gain around my middle.

I suggest you go see your doctor and see if he can figure out this stuff for you..Good Luck
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    In my case, yes. Because then I would feel lethargic the whole day and not want to exercise! LOL
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It does have an impact. Lack of sleep impacts hormone levels and can actually contribute to weight gain. I have a much more difficult time losing when I am getting 5 to 6 hours of sleep than when I am getting 7 to eight hours of sleep.
  • jendra11339
    Options
    i have seen a number of articles and news stories about the correlation between sleep and weight. The main point of most of them is that if you are not getting enough sleep your body will compensate by wanting to eat more.
    You can change your internal clock. Every night go to bed thirty minutes earlier until you reach your desired bedtime. Stay away from electronics like your cell phone, tv or laptop before bedtime. Make sure your bedroom and bed is a relaxing place that is conducive to sleep. You should also look at how much caffeine you are drinking. I find that if I drink soda after five pm I have a much harder time going to sleep.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Unless sleep is a food.... No, not directly

but it does have a huge impact on your bodies ability to function correctly, including energy stores and digestion and development
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    everything I've read suggests that getting the proper amount of sleep is important.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

but it does have a huge impact on your bodies ability to function correctly, including energy stores and digestion and development
    What he said. I think it has more to do with what you put in your mouth than how much sleep you are or are not getting. POWs are sleep deprived for days, and I don't think they were skinny because of too much sleep. IJS.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I'm a shift worker. Days, Evenings and Graveyards. I don't consume caffine of any kind. And yes ever since I started that job I've gained about 60 pounds over 6 years. My naturopath suggested for me to take melatonin so I can get to sleep. Before I took that I'd toss and turn for about 2-3 hours and then finally fall asleep wile watching my dear hubby fall asleep as soon as he hits the pillow. Now my naturopath did tell me that my sleep and awake hormones where not balanced and that's one of the reasons I was gaining weight. Melatonin is not addictive like sleeping pills. I have not been on it long to notice weight loss but it sure helps me get a better sleep.

So talk to your health proffesional about your sleep/awake hormones.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

What he said. I think it has more to do with what you put in your mouth than how much sleep you are or are not getting. POWs are sleep deprived for days, and I don't think they were skinny because of too much sleep. IJS.

POWs are also fed little to nothing, so that really doesn't apply here.

I am eating around 1400 calories a day.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I believe it can affect your metablosm, but the most siginificant issue is that when your circadian rhythms are disturbed, you crave far more food, especially sugar, caffeine and high fat foods. You are then also too tired to get proper exercise.

Are you being honest logging in food and exercise?
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have read that your metabolism is lower when you don't get enough sleep. You should try to get at least 7.5 hours, and if you are young probably more than that.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    I believe it can affect your metablosm, but the most siginificant issue is that when your circadian rhythms are disturbed, you crave far more food, especially sugar, caffeine and high fat foods. You are then also too tired to get proper exercise.

Are you being honest logging in food and exercise?

I have been honest, but I did eat around 1800 calories yesterday, but that was just one day and it was because I assumed the amount of calories in a certain food... and you know what happens when you assume :'(

you get fat! D:
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    As far as the original question, +1 for the reply "yes, I've seen reports that it is true, but can't explain why in detail." But obviously, sleep has a huge effect on how you feel, and how your body functions.

Since you are fairly young, I just wanted to toss some "sage advice" your way : treat your sleep quality/quantity/regularity as a very important aspect of your life that you should cultivate and maintain as seriously as you would with your health, education, relationships, finances, etc.

Maybe things have changed a bit, but when I was a young adult (say, 30 years ago), I always thought of my sleep needs as something like a car's gas tank : as long as there was something left to run on (even fumes, sometimes !) then I was okay. Just add to the tank as needed, and there's no real harm. I don't recall anyone ever telling me otherwise. But after too many years living like that, I can tell it has definitely taken its toll.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    As far as the original question, +1 for the reply "yes, I've seen reports that it is true, but can't explain why in detail." But obviously, sleep has a huge effect on how you feel, and how your body functions.

Since you are fairly young, I just wanted to toss some "sage advice" your way : treat your sleep quality/quantity/regularity as a very important aspect of your life that you should cultivate and maintain as seriously as you would with your health, education, relationships, finances, etc.

Maybe things have changed a bit, but when I was a young adult (say, 30 years ago), I always thought of my sleep needs as something like a car's gas tank : as long as there was something left to run on (even fumes, sometimes !) then I was okay. Just add to the tank as needed, and there's no real harm. I don't recall anyone ever telling me otherwise. But after too many years living like that, I can tell it has definitely taken its toll.

Thank you for your helpful response :) That mindset is actually exactly mine at this moment, and now I know I need to fix it quick!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You already have your question accurately answered. Now go rest up :) I can't imagine... I love sleep *LOL*
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Yes, lack of sleep can make you gain! For myself (and other fellow insomniacs that I know) I crave deep fried fatty foods, the kind that put you into a coma after you eat them. UGH! When I don't sleep well I try to make sure I pack an extra apple, extra carrots, etc... and try to be extra strong that day. It does affect how intense you workout because I know sometimes I flat don't feel like working out if I'm sleepy!

I turn into a demonite if I have sleep troubles (to put it lightly). Lack of sleep sucks....good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options

If you are eating at a deficit it would be difficult for it to make you gain weight if your deficit is large, but it will hinder your weight loss. As I understand it lack of sleep increases cortisol, stress hormone, and it will hinder fat loss. It won't be something from one bad nights sleep, it is a cumulative thing. Enough lack of sleep will defeat your eating, and could result in weight gain.
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep effects your hormones and increases hunger, also lowers your metabolism. You do lose weight still with little sleep when you are overweight, but someone like you with a healthy weight will find it hard to lose fat. Read this article, it explains better than me lol.
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/sleep/articles/2010/10/05/health-buzz-sleep-loss-undercuts-weight-loss-efforts-study-says