New Rule of Lifting for Women?

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
I just got this book based on what I read on the forums here. I am just looking for some honest feedback on what to expect. I am used to doing Jillian Michaels workouts that are cardio based. Will a weight only routine really help with fat loss? While I am not fat I do have a lot of flab around my middle that has got to go and I haven't seen results doing JM's routines. My arms and legs are stronger but my middle is still flabby. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns more calories than fat, so ensuring you have a weight training aspect to your routine will help you burn more fat. Once you have lost 'most' of your weight, the advice I have seen to reach the end line is to eat really clean to give yourself that extra boost.
  • camckinney
    camckinney Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have read and heard about incorporating weight lifting to help burn fat is important. That when you build muscle it helps burn fat even when you're not exercising. I was told to check out bodybuilding.com. On their site there are specific plans for what you're wanting to do. I printed a plan to burn fat (for females my age). It utilizes both wieght lifting and cardio which I like and feel like I'm really working everything. Building muscle and my cardio work!
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    OMG, I love this book! I did this program two years ago and saw amazing results. I was all about the cardio before and this changed my mind set and my opinion about weight lifting forever. I did not get BIG, I just got in really good shape. I did my exercise and diet slide though and managed to gain upwards of 15+ pounds in the last year but I'm starting this again on September 1st. Wish me luck!

I haven't really used the message boards and community at all but I'm starting to so if you want to add me please do!
  • idauria
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies! I will check out the other thread pronto. As for clean eating, I know I need to do a better job with that. Not that my diet is so bad. The meals that I eat are actually pretty healthy, I try to focus more on lean meats and veggies and if I have a carb it's whole grain, and only a small amount. My problem area is snacking. I have a sweet tooth. Most days I can fend it off but sometimes I just need some chocolate. I do find that not keeping things in the house helps. My main area of irritation now is wondering why the scale is the same yet my middle is bigger than it used to be. Like I have serious muffin top going on and I can't stand it. I have never had a flat belly and I have had 2 children so I don't expect miracles. But I am a bit frustrated right now.
  • jldemoss
    Options
    I have been exercising for about 5 months and I do a variety of workouts with & without weights. To be honest I see more of a loss (not necessarily in weight but in inches )when I lift weights. If you are just doing cardio then you are probably losing fat but it is not helping shape your body like lifting weights can. I suggest incorporating weights into your exercise routine. Hope this helps!!
  • sexyharleymama
    Options
    Muscle is important to burn calories, but I have heard that you can't spot tone or reduce. Cardio is what will get the fat on top of the muscels to melt, but you need the muscels under to help. You need a healthy balance of both I think. And for the middle, I think cardio and clean eating is very important for that stubborn belly fat :grumble:
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have this book and I seriously love it!!! Muscles are beautiful and they help you burn fat!!
  • idauria
    Options
    Will I be at a disadvantage by doing these workouts at home? I don't have a gym membership but I have a small home gym that I use.
  • camckinney
    camckinney Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do mine at home. If my list uses a machine I don't have the website shows me alternate exercises which I usually can do.
  • idauria
    Options
    I think I will be ok at home doing the alternate exercises. I am also concerned about hurting my back so I think I will use dumbbells for the deadlifts and squats at least at first.
  • Maxbjd
    Maxbjd Posts: 14
    Options
    Sorry don't really know about the book but I can tell you what you need to know.

Basically, women where discouraged for years from using weights but thankfully
    we now know that both genders can benefit from weightlifting.
    I see many women in the gym these days and they are awesome with the weights!

Typically women do way too much cardio and men not enough....go figure! lol!

So, yes lift away but keep up the cardio...you might need to scale back the cardio some to give your body time to recover.

This guy has a good video...he is kind of goofy but he is dead on with what he is saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eEkbG5gil8&feature=related

Also, as mentioned above Bodybuilding.com has some great workouts online with some fabulous trainers
    and bodybuilders that is where I go for mine.

I recommend if you have the time to do 3 and 3 to start with. So, 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weights.
    Since your just starting with weights I would work my whole body on those days. Light weights with high reps!

You can also substitute isometric exercises when needed since you dont belong to a gym. Develop you a routine and don't be afraid to experiment!

Day 1 - Weights................Day 4 - Cardio
    Day 2 - Cardio...................Day 5 - Weights
    Day 3 - Weights.................Day 6 - Cardio

Then a day of rest and relaxtion.....Then back at it!

Hope this helps! Good Luck and lift away!