How many steps make a mile?

Options
Hi,

I have a mobile phone that counts steps - but it doesnt tell me how many steps thats equates to in distance! How many steps (obv. approximate to average stride) are in a mile? Ideally I want to walk 10 miles a week.

Thanks!:huh:

Replies

• apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    About 2,000 steps in a mile.
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    yep, what she said
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how a step counter works on a phone? What is the app called?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long your stride is. The best way to measure is to:

1. mark a spot on the side walk at the back of one heel.
    2. Walk 10 "average" paces.
    3. Mark the back of your heel that landed the 10th step.
    4. measure the distance in inches between the two marks and divide by 10.
    5. Take this number ( x ) and divide it into 5280 * 12, so 5280 * 12 / x.

This will be how many steps you take per mile.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Why not just use a different app that tracks distance? If distance is your goal, forget the # of steps!
    Runmeter, Nike, etc. all have free apps.
  • ddoolittle
    Options
    I would agree. My iPod nano counts my steps, and I also have the Nike Fit adapter to calculate miles. Running is less steps/mile, for me 1 mile running is about 1600-1700 steps, and walking is about 1900-2000 steps depending on my stride.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a Sony Ericcson, the app is called Walk Mate Eco. It is built into the phone. I wasn't sure if it was accurate so I wore a friend's pedometer while carrying the phone in my pocket and they both showed the same number.

So if it is one mile per 2000 steps then if I reach the 10,000 steps a day I have walked 5 miles a day? That seems very high?
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't have an iPhone or Blackberry so I might go with the manual method as descibed :)
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Crazy but it depends on how big the steps you take are! OMG! So, count the amount of steps it takes you to walk 5,280 feet. Then multiply it by 1, then multiply it by 1/2, then multiply that number by 2. That's how many steps it takes to walk a mile.

Or, just count the steps it takes you to walk 52.8 feet (ok, round up to 53 feet), multiply by 100 and voila. You have how many steps it takes to walk a mile.

Or, you can walk a set amount of feet, figure out an average of how many steps it took you to walk said amount of feet, then divide 5,280 feet by that number and you have an estimate of how many steps it took you to walk a mile.

Or you can just skip for a mile.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i disagree on the 2,000 steps in a mile thing unless you're taller. I'm 5'1, right now my pedometer says 5,491 steps and says that is 2.19 miles so for me it's more like 2,600ish in a mile? my stride's pretty short though with my little legs :o)
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    i agree with most people, it just depends on your stride, im taller and i routinely walk a 1.25 mile trail and it takes me just over 1900 steps for that
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    with programs like gmap and all things available on phones, it is probably easier to measure distance than count steps

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
  • Rx5extreme
    Options
    This tells you the average based on your height ;)
    http://walking.about.com/od/pedometer1/a/steps-per-mile.htm

(If the link doesn't work, try copy & pasting it into your browser)
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 2400 steps is a mile for me give or take a few.
  • nonnie35750
    nonnie35750 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use a pedometer by Runtastic on my android phone. It is awesome. It was only like .99 cents and keeps track of the distance that I walk, time, speed and calories burned. It's very simple to use once you figure out what your stride is.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    yeah 2000 steps is more like 1 kilometer. 1 mile should be much more..
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The 10,000 steps a day is more about how active you are.. With the theory that people that are less active will average few steps a day.. (sitting, watching tv, sleeping or surfing the net).
    It really doesn't matter just how far you walk or not... or how tall or short you are... it is just a gage we can use to indicate our level of activity…

I personally work hard to insure I get 10,000 steps a day… to burn extra calories throughout the day.. since we average burn 100 calories every 2000 steps. But that is a guesstimate since we are all different.. since we have to take in account our weight..
    The heavier you are the more calories you burn.. here is a good site to go to find your magic number:
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Personally, I don’t even count the daily walk outside the planned exercise as calories burned… I make it a bonus to my diet…
    Example: When I park my car the farthest I can when I go to a store or walk up and down each aisleof the store.. they are just extra calories burned without even thinking of it
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I am only 5 ft tall and according to my fitbit 2000 steps is near enough 1 mile. So 10,000 steps would be 5 miles.
  • renley
    renley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1393 steps = .63 kms = .38525 miles, so for me close to 3000 steps = 1 mile. Approximately.
  • Susie_Ot
    Susie_Ot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe there approximately 2000 steps in a mile.