Any vegans out there?

Options
Hi :) it’s been a few years since I last did MFP and I was veggie back then. I’m now vegan. I led quite a sedentary lifestyle as well so eating 1200 calories per day was quite easy as I would just split it into a brunch and then have dinner later. I am now more active and am allowed to eat 1480 calories plus more if I get my steps in which was a nice surprise. I really want to maximise my nutrition though rather than just eating what’s low calorie!
I wondered if anyone has some easy low calorie recipes they cook regularly. I really like tofu, chickpeas, Indian food, Italian food, Thai food, Chinese food, Mexican food. Hate mushrooms!
TIA 😊

Replies

• Roodlokje
    Roodlokje Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah, vegan here! Something you could do is learn to cook without oil, if you still use that. Forks over Knives website is great for recipes and oil free. :)
  • torilou1975
    torilou1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,I'm vegan too, unfortunately not a slim healthy one though! Day 1 today so I aim to change that as I have 3 stone to loose - wish me luck!
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Refried beans with corn salsa, quack and sweet potato chips nachos
  • Kirstthevegan
    Kirstthevegan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Roodlokje wrote: »
    Yeah, vegan here! Something you could do is learn to cook without oil, if you still use that. Forks over Knives website is great for recipes and oil free. :)

Defo :) I was thinking of switching over to fry light. Forgot about forks over knives, I’ll check it out thank you
  • Kirstthevegan
    Options
    Hi,I'm vegan too, unfortunately not a slim healthy one though! Day 1 today so I aim to change that as I have 3 stone to loose - wish me luck!
    Haha me neither ! Think it’s what happens when you do it for the animals and then try everything that’s vegan haha.
    MFP is really good. I lost about2 stone the first time I did it. Good luck to you too :)
    Track everything, weigh yourself even if you’ve had a bad week, and remember it’s best to lose weight slowly. 1lb loss a week and you’ll have lost 3 stone in 42 weeks :)
  • Kirstthevegan
    Options
    Refried beans with corn salsa, quack and sweet potato chips nachos

That sounds good. How do you make the sweet potato chips?
  • bonnybunny4865
    bonnybunny4865 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a vegan lifestyle today and so overwhelmed I'm hoping I can get some good recipes so it's a bit easier. The snacking is fine I snack on fruit and veg anyway it's the dinner I'm dreading but here goes.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Not vegan anymore, but I've been veg for over a decade. I make a pan-fried BBQ tofu that's pretty good. Press and cut the tofu into 2" squares and fry on a skillet in PAM. Toss with tofu and serve (I usually have boiled carrots as a side). Feel free to poke around in my diary (which is public) for ideas if you like.
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    If you like Indian food, you should definitely try some of Vegan Richa's recipes (many of which are easy to make, very filling, and low calorie): veganricha.com.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I'm WFPB. Check out brandnewvegan.com and minimalistbaker.com for great, easy recipes.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Cut some firm tofu into squares. I like the high protein version from Whole foods as it is easier to work with. Have it sit in a little olive oil, apple cider vinegar and hot pepper along with thyme and any granulated spices you like for a few hours in the fridge flipping at least once. Bake for up to an hour at 350 degrees to make it crunchy or less if you like it normal.

I bake a pan of it and just dump it into stir fry or over a bed of steamed vegetables or quinoa throughout the week.
  • dratinidragon
    dratinidragon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Carby food like pasta and bread seem to swallow up my calorie allowance so I try to have smaller amounts and bulk up my plate with leafy greens and veg so it is still substantial :) Will be having half spaghetti and half courgette noodles for lunch with my vegan meatballs today 🌱