Traveling to UK, give me healthy food suggestions.

Options
Hi all! I believe there are people on MFP from the UK. I'm going on vacation and will be in London. First time in London. Does anyone have any suggestions of food places that offer healthier, lighter but delicious items? I want to enjoy food abroad, but would like to still not over do all the hard work I've done so far. Thank you!

Replies

• kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Plenty of places offer "light" menus. Loads of them highlight meals under 500cal, but a lot of chains now post the calorie information online so you can check anyway.

I can't offer specific places because I don't know where in London you're going to be, but you won't struggle for lighter options! You must try some of our stodgy foods while you're here though!
  • bonnybunny4865
    bonnybunny4865 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Harvester is good and has low calorie options but as the poster above put loads of places have low calorie options plus our restaurants don't mind swapping chips for veg ect so u can healthy a dish up. Search health food shops in the area u are going for good healthy snacks plus our supermarkets are big on healthy food now.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Chains Wagamama and Pizza Express have lighter options/nutritional info online. Nandos probably does too. In general in the UK the portions are smaller than the US. London also has loads of vegan/health conscious restaurants.

This article has lots of suggestions: https://www.countryandtownhouse.co.uk/food-and-drink/best-healthy-restaurants-london/
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    if you visit London I would recommend Time Out magazine generally for things to do / see / eat.
    I'm fairly sure the web address is timeout.com - you might find some hidden gems.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    London is a lot NYC in terms of restaurant/food choices. There will be plenty of healthy options available. But if you want to fit in extra calories take the opportunity to do a lot of walking. Central London is very walkable.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Londoner here and I would agree that a guide like Time Out is a good start. Although chains like Pizza Express have nutritional info you may want to have some slightly more special options for a vacation. Have to respectfully disagree with PP re Harvester - pretty bog standard pub food to me but each to their own!

Other lighter chains - Japanese from Itsu is pretty good, you can get great dim sum in Chinatown (soho/Leicester sq), gorgeous Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food (great salads and veggies) from places like Ottolenghi, fresh, lighter authentic grilled kebabs from somewhere like The Real Greek, and there will be plenty of options at foodie destinations like Borough Market. It doesn’t have to be just fish and chips and pies! Although they do have their place too 😉

Enjoy your trip!
  • acpgee
    Options
    I'm a Londoner too and agree about the Time Out suggestion. If you tell us which part of London you are staying maybe locals can give restaurant suggestions.

Ottolenghi is delicious and healthy but in the price range I save for special occasions. Itsu is a cheap Japanese chain for lunches that also does 50% off all their sushi and salad boxes 30 minutes before closing time in the evenings so is a fantastic deal if you are on a budget. It's not the best sushi in London but we can have a huge takeout sushi feast for two for £10 using their end of day discount.

There are a lot of great healthy, cheap ethnic options but that depends on the neighbourhood.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew where in London this was: a big community where one could eat authentic vegetarian Indian food. Not those massive amounts of cream based sauces with a bit of meat swimming in but big piles of veggies with a bit of sauce/dry 'sauce'. Super yummy, and not too heavy I'd think.
  • acpgee
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I wish I knew where in London this was: a big community where one could eat authentic vegetarian Indian food. Not those massive amounts of cream based sauces with a bit of meat swimming in but big piles of veggies with a bit of sauce/dry 'sauce'. Super yummy, and not too heavy I'd think.

My guess would be Tooting Bec. Lots of Sri Lankan places there too.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll be walking a lot so you'll need the calories. We have a lot sandwich/salad chains, you can find vegan and vegetarian options or lean protein too. Save your starchy carbs for breakfast and dinner. Enjoy your holiday 👍🏼
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

There are parts of London with big Indian communities and they tend to have the best authentic places, but you’d also have to avoid the tourist trap ‘curry houses”. Wembley/Ealing/southall (NW london) has a big Gujarati community I believe, and there’s good vegetarian there. Bangladeshi community and lots of restaurants on Brick Lane in east London. For modern Indian food which is fresh and exciting I really like Dishoom at Granary Square, which is the new development near Kings Cross station. There’s also Caravan there, which does great modern European sharing plates.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

Hmm.. very likely. Gosh, now I want to cook something Sri Lankan tonight.
  • acpgee
    Options
    If you find yourself wandering around hipster neighbourhood Shoreditch I would pop into nearby Kingsland Road just south of the Geoffrey Museum. There are a dozen Vietnamese restaurants there, all very healthy, light and affordable. If you want to bring your own wine, Mien Tay (both the cafe and the larger restaurant across the street) and Loong Kee allow that. Corkage fee is around £1 a head for the table.

If you are wandering around the antiques markets of Notting Hill, pop into nearby Westbourne Grove for middle eastern food.

You do have to choose with care on Brick Lane as some of the restaurants are tourist traps with touts lurking outside. The best Punjabi food in the neighbourhood are actually just off Brick Lane itself. These are Tayyabs on Fieldgate Street, Lahore on Commercial Road, Needo Grill on New Road. The Brick Lane area is interesting to explore if you like street art.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    In terms of food enjoyment, please dont go to chains. It will reassure you of the myth that the UK has crap food.

If you must go to chains, please dont go to harvester. Or a wetherspoons.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    For most "chain" places, they have the nutritional info on the price tags - places others didn't mention are pret a manger, EAT or Subway come to mind. TimeOut is your friend, so is Secret London - have a fantastic trip!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Please do not go to Harvester - well, unless you want a massive plate of cheap crap. Tayyabs is cool, Talli Joe is good too. Borough market is great foodie fun, Spitalfields is worth a visit. Cheap lunch on the go - EAT, Itsu.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I’d second Borough Market, and second advoiding Harvesters like the plague! Lots of independent cafes and delis in London, just get off the tourist trail and you’ll find them on almost every corner.
  • acpgee
    Options
    If you are in Borough market on a Saturday, also check out the gourmet street food stalls of Maltby Street nearby.
    http://www.maltby.st/
    http://boroughmarket.org.uk/travel-and-opening-times
    Borough is closed Sundays and Maltby Street is weekends only.