Keto-scale hardly moving

Options
ladydark2018
ladydark2018 Posts: 6 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Is there anyone with any success stories doing keto where it took a few months to lose? I have been doing keto for a month and have lost 2 pounds. After having cut out all the sugar and carbs, I would have hoped to have lost more than 2 pounds. I realize I am older now (42) and I am on an antidepressant, but I’m just wondering if sometimes it takes a while to lose. I was on this in the past and lost 30 pounds. I sometimes wonder if it’s my antidepressants stopping the weight loss. But I am trying to do it without stopping taking them because I need them for anxiety. The reason I like keto, is it helps me to control my eating somewhat instead of grazing like I usually do. But 2 pounds a month hardly seems worth it. Any words of advice?

Replies

• gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    In addition to what the others have said, don't stop your antidepressant solely because you think it's hindering you from losing weight. 1. It probably isn't. 2. There's a reason you're on it. And changes there should be carefully considered with your physician.

It should go without saying, but don't ever stop taking a medication without help from your doctor. Especially some antidepressants, doing so can have serious consequences. Have you talked to your doctor about doing keto?

You can lose weight, don't be discouraged by results that don't match your expectations. Since no one has linked this yet, your scale weight and fat loss are different: http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    In addition to what the others have said, don't stop your antidepressant solely because you think it's hindering you from losing weight. 1. It probably isn't. 2. There's a reason you're on it. And changes there should be carefully considered with your physician.

x1000!!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    First, like others have said, please don't stop taking your meds.

Second, would you consider opening your diary so that we can see if there are possibly some logging issues? Without knowing what you are eating and if you are even eating in a deficit, it is very difficult for us to help you.
  • ladydark2018
    ladydark2018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. As I stated above I don’t intend on stopping my antidepressants because I need them. I am always just curious if it hinders my weight loss.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    As others have said I think antidepressants only cause weight gain indirectly. Some folks can't eat when they're depressed, they have no appetite. Get rid of the depression and they can eat again. My husband is bipolar and on an antidepressant and has gained weight because he's not manic anymore. Then there may be the ones that stimulate the appetite. Personally I ate when I was bored or depressed so antidepressants, when I took them, made me lose weight.

All that aside I agree that Keto will not magically melt fat if you are eating too many calories which can be easy to do with all that fat. Some folks, myself included, aren't hungry with a fat level that high so they naturally eat less calories resulting in weight loss. I would suggest logging your calories and staying within the deficit that MFP sets for you.

Good luck.