Daily calories and exercise

Options
Hi everyone!
Sorry if this has been already discussed somewhere but I can't seem to find the answer to my question. What better place to ask for advice than this community! But let me get to the point.
I'm March this year I decided to lose some extra weight.. Not much, only around 8kg but because I'm quite short (156cm) 8kg can make a big difference. Anyway, I downloaded this app and started with counting my calories, weighing food, ditching processed foods as much as possible, etc. I set my weight loss goal for 0.5kg/ week. I haven't been achieving this but the scales were going down and I was noticing the difference in my body's appearance. However the past few weeks my weight has been sitting a bit too still for my liking, not seeing much progress on the body, and now I'm wondering if I'm doing things wrong! Now I might make a total fool of myself but can someone please enlighten me! If My fitness Pal tells me my daily calories intake should be at 1450 but then it gives me additional calories after I've done a workout (eg. 350 calories) does that mean I can eat additional 350 calories or should I just take in the 1450 and nothing more?? This might be silly but I can't work this out and it's giving me a headache😭I'm freaking out that I'm either not eating enough or too much and I am confused out of my tits! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll even take the mocking and pitifull eye rolling which I probably deserve anyway.

Replies

• umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    @Igfrie I just wanted to thank you for your post. I thought it was very concise and informative. I liked seeing the significant points laid out in this way. Thanks!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    sijomial - I'm not sure we're saying anything different. Although, looking at your profile pic vs mine, I'm inclined to assume you, not me, are correct in these matters LOL

If your BMR is 1,900 and you do absolutely nothing that day but sleep and watch TV, isn't it true that you can eat 1,900 and "break even"? Then if you turn off the TV and go do some exercise, your break-even point will adjust upward to account for the exercise performed. So, 1/2 hr on an exercise bike, and perhaps you're then at 2,200 instead of 1,900. The 1,900 is what you get just for remaining alive for the day - breathing, thinking, digesting food, etc. To break even at a caloric intake over 1,900, you have to go work for it - that is to say, exercise. I believe we are both saying that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    sijomial - I'm not sure we're saying anything different. Although, looking at your profile pic vs mine, I'm inclined to assume you, not me, are correct in these matters LOL

If your BMR is 1,900 and you do absolutely nothing that day but sleep and watch TV, isn't it true that you can eat 1,900 and "break even"? Then if you turn off the TV and go do some exercise, your break-even point will adjust upward to account for the exercise performed. So, 1/2 hr on an exercise bike, and perhaps you're then at 2,200 instead of 1,900. The 1,900 is what you get just for remaining alive for the day - breathing, thinking, digesting food, etc. To break even at a caloric intake over 1,900, you have to go work for it - that is to say, exercise. I believe we are both saying that.

I'm saying that BMR is not your break even / maintenance calories.
    You are missing activity (and the minor TEF - thermic effect of feeding).

As an example if my son who has a very active job had an identical twin brother with a sedentary job they would both have the same BMR (both lying in bed all day, fasted).
    But clearly the builder needs a much higher break even / maintenance number of calories than the desk jockey.

You also don't have to workout your own BMR as this site does it for you when you complete the set up.
    Then you select an activity setting for your job/lifestyle which multiplies your BMR to give you your non-exercise day daily goal to maintain weight.

Then by selecting your chosen rate of loss it takes those calories away to create your deficit.

Exercise is then accounted for separately and after the event.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of really good advice here, and I've gotten a new favorite saying. Confused out of my tits? What? Best ever.
  • lgfrie
    Options
    @Igfrie I just wanted to thank you for your post. I thought it was very concise and informative. I liked seeing the significant points laid out in this way. Thanks!

Glad to help out. Good luck with your dieting efforts!

• lgfrie
    edited June 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »

I'm saying that BMR is not your break even / maintenance calories.
    You are missing activity (and the minor TEF - thermic effect of feeding).

As an example if my son who has a very active job had an identical twin brother with a sedentary job they would both have the same BMR (both lying in bed all day, fasted).
    But clearly the builder needs a much higher break even / maintenance number of calories than the desk jockey.

You also don't have to workout your own BMR as this site does it for you when you complete the set up.
    Then you select an activity setting for your job/lifestyle which multiplies your BMR to give you your non-exercise day daily goal to maintain weight.

Then by selecting your chosen rate of loss it takes those calories away to create your deficit.

Exercise is then accounted for separately and after the event.

Ah, now I see where you're going with it. Being a sedentary person by nature and profession, I figure my BMR is approximately my break-even. If I drag my butt over to an exercise machine, that gets added to my BMR for a higher break-even. But yes, of course, a Marine recruit at boot camp is going to have a break-even way, way above his BMR, although I think in my case, my break-even is probably startlingly close to my BMR lol So yes, general activeness irrespective of any specific workout requires some kind of BMR multiplier, unless one is a slug like me, and can just use BMR as the break-even.
  • mgodniak2106
    mgodniak2106 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! This is extremely helpful and it would seem I have loads to read up on! Here I was, thinking that weight loss is just as simple as eating less, but in actual fact this is quite a complex process with a lot of science behind it... Or at least more than I anticipated 🤓🙄 it's also great to know that there are so many knowledgeable and helpful people connected through this app. Thanks again and let the reading begin 😁😂📖😅🙏🙏
  • mgodniak2106
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Assuming your logging is otherwise accurate, MFP intends you to eat back all exercise calories. However, that is a big assumption.

To be sure your logging is as accurate as possible:
    1) make sure you are using a food scale to weigh ALL food. Do not use measuring cups or spoons; do not enter anything as "1 serving," "1 piece," etc.
    2) make sure your calorie burn numbers are reasonable. If you're using the MFP exercise calorie database, many people find those estimates to be too high, so they begin by eating only half the estimated exercise calories.
    3) be consistent and patient. If you do both 1 and 2, you may still not see the scale go down for several weeks because you don't have much to lose, and your weight loss will therefore be slow.

Thank you! I am actually weighing all my food as well as drinks in grams and ml and I'm also using a fitness tracker so I am getting a more accurate estimates of my calories burned than the generic MFP database. I guess I maybe am just a bit impatient 😅 thank you though
  • mgodniak2106
    Options
    @igfrie thank you for your amazing posts! You have been super helpful <3
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! This is extremely helpful and it would seem I have loads to read up on! Here I was, thinking that weight loss is just as simple as eating less, but in actual fact this is quite a complex process with a lot of science behind it... Or at least more than I anticipated 🤓🙄 it's also great to know that there are so many knowledgeable and helpful people connected through this app. Thanks again and let the reading begin 😁😂📖😅🙏🙏

It sounds complicated, but it's really not, I promise :smile: The short answer is... Set up your profile here and get a calorie goal, log your food accurately and consistently, log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories, and be patient because weight loss isn't linear. I'd add that because you are shorter and don't have much to lose, you might actually find that even 0.5kg is tough to aim for and may have to go another notch slower, but you can always decide that as you go! These "Most Helpful Posts" may be helpful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

Good luck :drinker:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Actually, weight loss is a lot easier than diet sellers and magazines want you to believe. Hey, if things were easy then nobody in the diet industry would earn any money or the latest summer diet series in a magazine would only consist of one page, once. It really is just eat less. But getting to eat less might require a bit of work. And of course losing weight takes time. But you can do it <3