50th Birthday and 8 years of work

JasonRVA
JasonRVA Posts: 31 Member
Today is my 50th birthday, finally middle-aged... hehe

I started my weight loss journey almost 8 years ago when I was over 350 lbs (my scale just said ERR). There have been ups and downs along the way, as there will always be, that's the way life works.

My first real full set of blood tests 5 years ago was a real shock (I had already lost 50 lbs). My average estimated glucose was 315, and my HbA1c was 12.6. Most of my other tests were in the red as well. 2 week ago my updated tests show my average glucose at 137 (under 116 is optimal), and my HbA1c is now 6.4 (under 5.6 is optimal), and I'm down about 125lbs. I still have work to do, and will always have to be vigilant, but I feel so much better.

Just remember, 20, 30, or 40 years of abusing your body won't get cured overnight, but persistence and hard work WILL pay off, don't give up, get back up every single time you get knocked on your *kitten* and fight back! Wait till you see me on my 51st birthday!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Happy birthday! And well done!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Happy birthday!
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,784 Member
    Happy birthday to you!!!! Awesome progress!!!
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    edited June 2019
    Happy Birthday ...🎂
    and thanks for sharing your story
  • huddleup
    huddleup Posts: 46 Member
    50 is when most people slack up and go down hill. Glad to see you're pushing forward to reach your goals. Keep up the good work.
  • Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    It's crazy to think of it as abuse isn't it? For a long time I was just treating myself... but it WAS abuse and at 29 I was beginning to show it, too! happy bday keep at it!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Kudos man! So cool. The rewards seem sweeter at our age so I get it! Keep it pushin!!!!! and yes! 51 or bust eh? Good work!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Happy birthday and welcome to quinquagenarian land. It should be an amazing decade of your life.

You look young enough to be your son. Enjoy your "youth."

You've made incredible progress and enjoy to savor in the delight while recognizing the mission continues so keep marching forward.
  • smd436
    smd436 Posts: 5 Member
    I love your attitude! No doubt good things will follow for you with that mindset. Happy Birthdayafter!
  • waterlily5
    waterlily5 Posts: 2 Member
    Great advice. Happy birthday!!
  • JasonRVA
    Thank you everyone, and of course feel free to add me!
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    welcome to the 50's and glad you got in better shape. 50's are not like they were 40 years ago when my grandparents were 50.

keep it up
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,080 Member
    I’m going to be 48 this Saturday. Your story made me think I don’t want to be the same weight I am now when I’m 50. I have about 25 pounds to lose and this is a great motivator!
  • JasonRVA
    Thank you everyone, I'm going to be a work-in-progress for a long time, but getting better every day.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Great transformation - 50 and beyond will be your best years!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    WOW! That is incredible! I'm 54 and welcome to the club. Be proud, you have worked hard!

• sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Happy birthday. Congratulations on your success!
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Happy Birthday! It's a great thing to be going into your fifties in shape. I hope to do the same one day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!